VR6Will's crossflow

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Hot Water, Nov 29, 2010.

1. madasafish100

madasafish100 Forum Member

Yea i can sort out a photo tonight as i have some in the archive lol.
    It was once a TSR engine and i gather to reach the 2 ltr capacity they use a new crank and bore.
    Has any one got any info on what they use and how it affects stroke length? as im thinking of fitting a new head but im worried that the stroke length is now longer, i could have valve clearancing problems if i fit a new head, especially if its running a high lift cam.
    The head im running at the moment is a 026 103 373 H cast head and has been skimmed, along with the block to get to 11.1:1.
    Any help much appreciated!![:D]

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Simple answer is just ask TSR on here.

3. madasafish100

Ive spoken to them on the phone instead (i did try all yesterday too but the guy i needed to speak to seemed to be never endingly busy!!)

Basically they say they use a 92.8mm stroke crank with original rods, an 82.51 bore and pistons with an offset pin to achieve 2l capacity. He also said that stroke length is similar to 1.8 so should not have any valve clearance problems.

4. danster Forum Addict

If your current head works then so will the crossflow one with regard to clearance. The only thing that could cause an issue was if the pistons in your engine protrude beyond the top of the block and entered the gasket land or combustion chamber. The edge of the combustion chamber walls would need to be opened up to suit. This is however unlikely.

TSR have effectively made a 3A 2.0 short block engine with the 82.5mm overbore and installation of the 92.8mm crank. The rods are the same 144mm length in both 1.8 and 2.0 engines and the gudgeon pin in the 2.0 engine styled 82.5mm piton is higher up to stop the piston poking out of the top of the bore by 1/2 the difference between the 86.4mm 1.8 crank and the 92.8mm 2.0 crank. IE 3.2mm. [:D]

5. madasafish100

Sweet!! i know that the block has been skimmed slightly to raise compression instead of taking it off the head, but im sure no where near enough to cause the piston to poke out the top.

Ive managed to source an AKL crossflow head, so if im confident i can get the work done to make it fit my block i will be in need of a manifold ;) Can you just confirm exactly what needs doing to the AKL oil way to get it to fit, im guessing the oil way is the oval shaped hole in the front of the head and it doesnt quite line up, or is too big?

Would be a big help if you could clear this up for me Dan :thumbup: Also what Head gasket would i need?

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Standard block height is 220mm from crank centreline to deck :thumbup:

7. madasafish100

So if i wanted to get some forged pistons so i can go for a higher comp ratio, i would have to go for custom pistons i guess? With the wrist pin location 3.2mm higher than a 3A piston? Does any one know the STD height of a 3A piston wrist pin?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  8. danster Forum Addict

No. You would need the standard short block 2.0 piston style. 82.5mm bore.
    This is made on the assumption your engine is a short block using 82.5mm bore, 92.8mm stroke crank and 144mm rods with 20mm gudgeon pin.

But you mentioned the block has had a skim in the past so depending on how much has been removed this could cause problems if you go and buy pistons designed for a std un skimmed block deck height.

9. madasafish100

Yea thats the spec with the lengths you mentioned. The block has only had a small skim nothing major, it had to have the CR raised from 9 and a bit to 11 so instead of taking a load off the head it was taken a bit off both. Not sure exactly how much though.

Only problem with this is that i cannot seem to find any 3A forged pistons.

Can you clear up for me what needs doing to the oil way on the AKL to fit a PB please danny :p

10. danster Forum Addict

[​IMG]

The oil drain that is on the front of the head (top left in pic) in between cylinders 1 and 2 needs filling / welding slightly so it matches your PB head gasket. Look at the above pic. You can clearly see the oil drain is larger and needs reducing in sizes slightly.