Wearing tires off (quickly) !

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by 8valvenut, Feb 16, 2015.

1. jamesemmison Forum Member

My 4motion was the same after about 10 thousand miles. I've put on some camber control arms from jap speed. Cost about 130 on ebay.

2. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

i did consider camber shims for less than 30quid but that would still mean theres something not right somewhere and it would just mask the problem. maybe im just being fussy i dunno lol.. my old mk3 handles better than anything i have ever driven in my 23 years worth of driving but its got koni shocks and eibach springs all round ironic really as the wifes mk4 looks clean as a whistle but handles like crap, then ya got my mk3 thats handles brilliant but looks like **** lol

3. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

Finally got round to fitting the axle and what a massive difference it's made. Car feels so much better. I did some measuring and sure enough the axle I took out was bent even one of the brackets that bolt up into chassis went on in a different place to the old one. I measured the old one and front end was pretty close to the new one then I measured the rear from inside shock mount to the other and my old one was 28mm shorter distance compared to the new one. Anyway after some new brake hoses pads and discs the car is great ??

Richard Mk2 and jamesa like this.
  4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Glad you got this sorted :thumbup:

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I would still get a reference check at an alignment center.

Glad to see you made progress!