webber carbs for drivers?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by luminosa, Jan 15, 2007.

1. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Maybe I need to have been a member of the forum for a certain amount of time before I can post pics. I've looked at this forum for a while but never signed up, but thought I'd help as been as I had the piccies already.

2. SirGeekalot Forum Member

dunno, but here's you message anyway..

3. Sciroccotune Forum Member

thanks for the pics guys, i kinda followed the instructions to set the idle CO and with teh help of my uselsee guson CO machine got it to a place where the car runns well and pulls better. it had been suffering from bad idle.

however for a min a few mins after i cam of a 15mile motorway blast the idle struggled again do we think carb freeze? i am missing the samall ventri heater so hopefully once i have one of thses the whole thing should work without problem?

what you guys think?

cheers.

4. timbutjack Forum Member

i havnt got a heater element either, seems most of us dont :lol:. i just blocked the cold air pipe off so the engine only takes warm air, this will compensate for the loss of not having an electric heater element. i just need to go the scrappy but cant be bothered just for that

5. Sciroccotune Forum Member

its a funny thing that tim, cos every weber i have ever had and in fact seen has never had this heater and probs everyone has had problems :lol: we are a funny bunch, i think as vdub nuts we just put up with stuff[:*:]

6. muppet9966 Forum Member

Yeh your car will idle and not cut out and stall once you get the small heater back in place. As timbutjack said, you also need the warm air feed and ensure the warm / cold air flap works - or block the cold feed. :lol:

7. ChrisM2S Forum Member

Sticking a pair of old boxer shorts inside the cold air pipe works for me.

After reading this, I'm unsure if I did my webber right at all... bad times... :lol:

8. SirGeekalot Forum Member

this was my first real install of anything remotely mechanical...

and you can only learn from your mistakes.. This time i learnt to read the instructions and follow them before posting off the old part with bits you need still attached...

9. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

My post is there now :)
    I had the advantage of an article in car mechanics mag where they fitted the weber kit and specially said about the element.
    It was my first proper mechanical job too, we changed the headgasket at the same time aswell.
    Now I'll take anything apart :)

10. SirGeekalot Forum Member

i've a mate who's a Mini fanatic, but thats pretty much where his knowledge is limited. its handy to have the use of all his shiny tools though.

11. VdubNash Forum Member

I've had my Weber for 4 years without the heater element with no problems - should be fine I reckon.

12. Sciroccotune Forum Member

well i just picked one up at the scrappy for free :)

he gave it to me i didnt steel it [:D]

anyway ill let you guys know if it makes a differance?

i have also adjusted the idle CO and it seems to be much better as my last attempt didnt work out when the car was cold [:s]

13. muppet9966 Forum Member

That must be a 1st!! Good on you.:clap:

14. SirGeekalot Forum Member

if there are any more there, grab a few.. sounds like we could all do with one...

15. Sciroccotune Forum Member

was the only car with a 2e2 there but ill keep an eye out :)

Im yet to see if it makes a diff, i have had to bodge it on as i am missing a part on the carb (no. 4 in the diagram) so gonna have to order that to [:*:]

16. SirGeekalot Forum Member

i only moved to england last june, so i'm still learning the geography round here. i've no idea about scrappy's in my area (or anything to be fair), anybody know a good scrappy in the Redhill area?

might be nice to just head down to one and have a poke about..

17. Sciroccotune Forum Member

im fairly sure you can get the heater from vw for about 15 if you cant find one etc

18. luminosa Forum Member

i think the only reason a heater element is needed on a carb is for those cold winter mornings, when the fuel is frozen and the engines cold or just from a cold start. it just helps the carb to stabalize whilst the chokes on. also if the cars running a little lean it tends to be a big help;)

19. ChrisM2S Forum Member

Mine's running like crap again...

Just to get it straight, there should be two electrical wires connected to the carb..

1) An earth lead from the cylinder head (think I could make one of these..)
    2) Some kind of power feed to the heater unit... can one of these be made if they are missing or is there somewhere to buy a new one from?

Chris

20. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

The wire is part of the heater unit.
    Look at the picture on page 2. The black wire goes into the black cylinder (the heater)