webber carbs for drivers?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by luminosa, Jan 15, 2007.

1. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I wrote a bit about repairing the heater unit if the wire's fallen off it here: http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126067 post #4. HTH

'Fraid I don't know anything about the Weber w.r.t. fault finding, but a bit of carb cleaner to remove gunk supplied by the PCV system rarely goes amiss, if you have that set-up with the normal airbox.

Edit: Oh, and I've got a spare heater that I could recondition...

2. Barkstar Forum Member

Bit puzzled about this PCV thing - mine seems to just have a plain breather pipe from the camcover into the airbox. I've checked EKTA and it seems to suggest that some have a small canister connected to the cover and a pipe off this into the airbox. But it's not listed for the GU motor, and I've only seen them in pics on PB (Digipants) engined GTis.
    I only ask as mine now got 135K on the clock and is breathing a little heavier so there's a little oil getting into the airbox - nothing major but I had considered rigging up a simple catch tank.

BTW, when my Haynes finally arrives [:x] , I'm giving my Weber a service - so I'll take some pics and do a FAQ.

Barkstar [:*:]

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Plain breather on mine too. I plan to make a catch tank when the to-do list gets a bit shorter. Replaced alternator the other day, now that's quiet I can hear the rear wheel bearings crying out "change me"; and just yesterday noticed one of the front ones is on the way out too. Joy.

Matt82 started a thread entitled "catch tanks" (I think) a few weeks back, may be worth a look.

Weber FAQ sounds like a very good idea.

4. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

That'll be good. I did mine last year and it was dead easy, didn't take any piccies though.
    I assume you've already bought the Weber service kit. How are your instructions? The one I got last year had an exploded diagram and was marked Fiat Tipo, probably would put some people off even starting a carb refurb if it mentions a complete different car.
    The Haynes Weber manual has it under Land Rover carbs and probably goes into a bit to much detail with carb theory and such like but is very useful.

5. Barkstar Forum Member

Sono grandi se potete leggere l'italiano!

Got the kit off ebay - seller is a Weber dealer and apologised that the list of components is in Italian, I think he supplies the paperwork as a favour really.

Bit annoyed about the Haynes - I won it a week last Tuesday and the seller was charging top dollar for P&P and it's still not here (and he's seems to deal in Haynes) and I wanted to do the carb on Sunday. I'm not afraid to do without, but since I went to the trouble of buying one...you know how it is.

BTW mine doesn't have the liitle heater on the front but it does have the one underneath - though the relay for it (position 12 relay No 1) began to sound like castanets on speed the other week so that's disconnected at the moment :)

Barkstar

6. westonamission Forum Member

I never had a heater on my weber and was fine even on bloody cold mornings, I never even bothered fitting a choke cable. would idle at 800 smoothlyish. Although i say that, it wasn't brilliant. i had attibutted that to mildly bent float and a ridculous amount of scale and corrosion in the float chamber (ebay carb, wish i'd bought one from a shop now). Looking at this maybe the heater would have done some good.

I have an inlet manifold for a carb golf complete with hedgehog heater and a peirburg in the garage, don't know if the heater works but i can check! the manifold has had a feed taken from the coolant passage, I have no idea why, it came with the webber i bought but is easily blocked off i suppose. you can take the heater out as well. if anyone needs some thing then PM me.

I also have the two gear linkage rods with plastic ball joint ends, ones all plastic and ones metal with plastic ends, genuine vw, for drivers. never been near a car. Won't be looking for fortunes.

also for those of you with breather problems, make sure your cam cover has a plastic sheil;d underneath. you shouldn't be able to see any mechanics through the filler cap at all. my golf was missing this and it took much swearing trying to work out why oil was ****ing into my manifold after i replaced the breather pipe, which had rotted through due to large amounts of black stuff eating it.

7. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

I probably bought my refurb kit from the same place - Fastroadcars in Wales? They've got a big website too, I fitted all new jets from them just to be sure as my carb was a secondhand ebay jobbie.