What cheap MiG welder?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by TheSecondComing, Nov 28, 2006.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

no, otherwise Id of quoted you :lol:

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Fair enough - it wasn't clear to me.

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Reply to thread title without reading all the replies [:$] Youve gone from a spelling/grammar Nazi to a post reply Nazi :lol: ;)

The alco is coming to pick up his scrap in the next few weeks, thought he could kill two bottles with one swig if you catch my drift [:D]

4. Trev16v

A grammar Nazi? The grammar Nazi, thank you. :lol:

5. vrbanana Forum Junkie

sorry [:$] [:$] [:$] :lol:

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Sip welders have feed control problems, have you done the wire feed control mod Trev?. I haven`t forgotten about the logs, maybe best to mail you a CD with all my stuff on it?.

I wouldn`t bother with the little bottles either, they`re a waste of time. Argoshield isn`t that bad in bigger bottles really.

7. Trev16v

Keith - you are absolutely right about the SIP welders - it is the wire feed mechanism that is the problem. It was crap from brand new. Because no amount of fiddling with the mechanism would produce a constant wire feed speed, neat welding was impossible. I have, however, discovered that it works a lot better with 0.8mm wire instead of 0.6mm. So I may be able to cope with it after all.

I did read about the SIP wire feed modification once but I confess I've never tried it. I'll do a search now to find out about it again. Thanks for the tip!

(CD of logs would be fantastic - could PayPal you some beer money.)

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

There was a bloke who made a new motor feed controller or similar? haven`t tried it myself either but worth a go before binning the SIP..

No need for beer money, it`s just finding the time to dig it off the laptop.

I aimed for a 12:1 afr on boost, with water injection active. On cruise you can lean it as far as it`ll go before missfire, I`ve done that on the GTO but the Golf was set for 14.7:1 in closed loop control. In hindsight I`d set closed loop to target 16:1 on cruise..

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

[:s]

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Whats wrong Mike?. I did a day of trackday hammering at Donnington with no issuse and 200 miles there and back..

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Just lost me with that bit in this welding thread, was searching back through to see anything in here about it that's all :lol: i must have missed it sorry ;) .

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Fair do`s!.