What do people use their air compressors for?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by A.N. Other, Mar 14, 2011.

1. corradophil Forum Member

I got one to do exactly that, but ended up aquiring a proper air receiver for free, so used that instead, which was handy because I have since got a propane space heater, so I took the gas tank and exchanged it for a full one.

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

It is also possible to link 2x cheap ones up to get a higher cfm for cheap :thumbup:

"Compressor systems can be coupled up together. I have an old 1.5hp 6CFM compressor with a 150L tank, and a new 3hp 14CFM compressor with a 50L tank. Coupling the two together gives me up to 20CFM, and allows me to take advantage of 200L of air storage. "

Extract taken from :

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/air-system.htm

Gurds

3. lard44 Forum Member

Use mine for tyres, compressed air but have sprayed a couple of panels with it, and did my entire bug with Rustoleum.

Used the air ratchet a bit too but found it struggled with really tough nuts - which is kinda the reason I bought a compressor in the first place...hmm...

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

starting barbeques....

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

it was only the other day i was speaking to someone about this but wasnt sure if he was right,now i am:thumbup:

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

you need the gun for that,air ratchets are supposed to be used like normal ones arent they,crack the nut/bolt the wind it off? thats how i use it,pull the trigger crack the bolt then it turns away happily

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Handy thread full of suggestions that may just motivate me to fix up the freebie I was given a year back. It's a 2hp 50L Fima brand thing, with a knackered piston seal.
    The seal doesn't seem to be available separately so it's a big red paperweight just now.

If anyone (who knows where to get piston seals) wants it as a fixer-upper, or wants to share their knowledge, drop me a PM.

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

9. jettadan Forum Member

Yep, deffo works as we've done the same, adding one of the Aldi ones to a bigger one to keep the tank topped up.

Tools last much longer this way and i don't have to keep stopping to wait for the tank to fill back up.

Use die grinders, sanding discs, drills, air blower, small spray gun, air stapler, nail gun, tyre inflater - all sorts really.

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

11. Raider Forum Member

I'm in work hours after most of the Fitters have done their stuff.... I use our fully piped around the work shop set up to keep ones Tyre pressures correct:thumbup:

12. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Mines been used for:

Tyre pressures, impact wrench: usually 1/2" but 3/4" for the really tight nuts, high speed grinder, belt sander, air ratchet, air blast for cleaning/blowing away dirt, Pressure bleeding brakes, spraying.

Next thing to buy is a sandblasting cabinet and build a compressor house outside to keep the noise in the garage down

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I [l] my air chisel [:D] I'm not so sure that the neighbours agree though.

14. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

managed a full respray with mine, with a good gun you can get round no probs it`ll never make more than 40 psi in the tank once you start though!

PUTTING OUT FIRES when welding!

15. Gtinick

Gtinick Paid Member Paid Member

Cleaning out the Dyson. Mind you the dust is dreadful so to avoid the wrath of " My senior domestic manager" means I do it in the log store.

Nick

16. Ess Three Forum Member

I think my next use may be to feed air to a Plasma Cutter. Mmm...that's a garage 'toy' of note! :lol:

17. danster Forum Addict

^^^ Hey Glen, not telling anyone about the inflatable sheep you got in the garage. ;)

18. Ess Three Forum Member

No need...real ones in the garden. :thumbup:

19. D4LFR Forum Member

Only ever needed mine for thread locked drive shaft bolts and hub nuts with the impact gun