What I was up to Last Friday, ABF swap in 10 hours!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by rubjonny, Oct 14, 2008.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Started around 10:30 pootling about in the garage moving stuff out of the way and finishing off my gearbox rebuild (just a couple of seals and an end plate) Then got to work. Had my first coffee/**** break at 12:30ish, and this was the state of play:

[​IMG]

After some nice crumpets I went to work again, had another coffee/**** break at 2:00ish, and this was how things were standing:

[​IMG]

Feeling refreshed I went to work again, engine was in by 4, fitted all the alternator & pas setup but then found out the alternator belt I revieved was too long so it had to come off again! Luckily I could pinch the old MK3 setup off the cabby engine. I called it a day around 6:30 cooling system installed, slam pannel fitted and most of the electrics connected up:

[​IMG]

Work started at 10am the following day, by 12:30 it was finished and the car was a runner!

[​IMG]

System pressure was a healthy 5.4 bar and warm up pressure spot on 48psi, had to tweak the dizzy but thats about it! After some idle issues and strange behaviour I found that my previously working ISV had packed in and the temperature switch for the 5th injector was stuck open circuit, so the cabby ISV was pinched and I've disconnected the 5th inj for now, doesnt do much anyway.

ABF swap in 10 hours [8D]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. ihaveajetta Forum Member

thats what im talkin about!! good job fella

3. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

what was it originally?

4. pRot3us Forum Junkie

5. rubjonny

What, originally, originally? or before the abf went in? :lol:

It started out as a 1.8 8v, then I did the obligitory 2.0 bottom end swap. Then I put a 'rebuilt and flowed head' which actually turned out to be a pile of scrap. About 2 month later it were pisin out oil down the driver side of the block, and into piston #3 zaust side due to a craply fitted stem seal. That and the cam cap bearings were scored enough to lower the oil pressure below 0.3bar when hot [:x]

So it all came out and a 1.8 KR went in before it blew up completly, put it in over a bank holiday weekend. I needed the extra time to convert the rest of the car to 16v spec, zaust, fuel pump n lines, engine loom etc wasn't banking on having to drop the subframe due to the resonator on the 16v downpipe either, but luckily I had an eibach front ARB so that went on at the same time :lol:
    Original plan was for an ABF on KR managment, but I didnt have a block at the time so I pinched the lump originally destined for my MK1 cab! Worked out well though as a mate of mine (mattneck) sourced me an ABF and brought it round my house, I swapped it with all of my old 2.0 8v gear, loom, 2 zausts etc etc. He has a build project on the golfgti forums, doin and excellent job of minting it all up!

Fast forward to now and 3rd time lucky I fitted the correct engine :lol:

6. nickh89GTi Forum Member

That is a lot of changes you've gone through there mate over the years. How long you had the car?

10 hours to do an ABF swap, thats what i'm talking about. Well done that man :thumbup: :clap:

The whole of Bracknell looks the same, used to live in Ascot, but my nan still lives in Bracknell.

7. rubjonny

Thats only the tip of the iceburg I assure you :lol:
    Had the car since May 05, it has changed a lot since then! I know what you mean about Bracknell, try finding your way home in the dark and you're pised, take a wrong turn and you're stuck walkin around in circles for hours :lol:

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

amazing thread. been able to see hwo much quicker/more powerful it is?

9. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I don't even need to be pis**d to get lost around there :lol: . Not been up there for ages. I don't even remember how big Bracknell is.

BTW you know you said my inlet manifold bolts may be lose causing my idle probs. Changed my exhaust manifold at the weekend and some of the inlet mani bolts were hand tight. :lol:

10. rubjonny

well so far my ar*e says its 22% quicker :thumbup:
    I dunno what it is with 8vs, those bolts seem to make a habbit of working loose. unless you actually want to take tyhe inlet off, then they're so tight you round them out :lol:

11. jono395 Forum Member

Im thinking about this conversion... But Dont know whats involved.. Electrically & fuel..

is the electrics hard to do?.. Is running K-jet easier to do but is it more expensive as i havent got a KR setup anywhere

12. rubjonny

if you start with a k-jet 16v, then its the easiest conversion out there, take old one out, put new one in. If you're starting with an k-jet 8v, the fuel pump & lines are ok but you still need the metering head and injection stuff, plus the bay loom & exhaust. If its a digifant 8v then its the same + you need to change the under-car pump + lines as well. Bay loom is easy though, since they made a k-jet 16v from 86ish both CE1 & CE2 engine looms are available, pick the one you need and plug it straight into your fusebox.

If you go ABF managment any fuel pump setup will work even the digifant 8v one, but theres a lot more wiring toworry about. If you have a CE2 car then it makes it a little easier as the MK3 bay loom willmatch up to what you have, though ideally a bit of chop n change with a MK2 loom is needed because not all the MK3 bay plugs are the same for liek the rad fan n things. Most of it is ok as you just use the MK2 lighting loom, just use the MK3 engine harness. When I did it I got both a MK2 16v 90spec loom and a MK3 ABF loom, unwrapped them both, then chopped out everything engine related from the MK2 loom, and everything not engfine related on the MK3 loom, and combined them to make a stock MK2 ABF loom. Took a while but it was worth it in the end.

13. TheoG60 Forum Member

So then.....nothing like pulling the engine out on the pavement hey!

What stage are you at now then in the tally of washing the car to changing out the engine!!!???

Nice work anyway!

14. rubjonny

aye luxury! did my mates ABF on a gravell driveway, lots of fun!
    I'm not planning to improve that ratio any time soon, thats for sure :lol:

15. jono395 Forum Member

quick question, what cars came with CE1 & CE2?

I have a golf driver, so i dont think i have any wiring!..

i was planning on getting a ABF lump with the ECU and engine bay loom, and wiring some bits up behind the dash myself... not that i know the difficulty level:lol:

ive realised how hard it is to find a ABF engine.. only ebay has them.. lmao!

Ive stripped down a 8V mk2, and i kept all the components like the fuel pump and the ecu wiring loom (bay side)

reckon it would be hard?

16. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Before 1990 Golfs etc had the CE1 fuse boxes and after 1990 Golfs, passats etc had the CE2 fuse boxes.

You may need the complete car loom out of a 90spec mk2 golf for the fuel pumps etc as the plugs are different to the driver loom.

17. rubjonny

check where the hazard switch is, that'll tell you if its CE1 or 2. On the dash = CE1, on top o the column = CE2.
    Easy to add the fuel pump loom without replacing the entire car loom, just chop it out of the right spec car and run it alongside the existing stuff. If you wanted it to be totally oem then you could replace the whole fusebox -> rear loom ;)

18. jono395 Forum Member

i found it hard getting the loom out of the GTI.. which is why i taken the fusebox and left the under dash loom in:lol: also taken the ecu and bay loom.. but not the loom behind the dash:(

and by the sounds of it, i have a CE2[:D] But still no wires as its not a GTI :(
    i have the 8V fuel pump, could i run my own wires down there? and run it off the ignition live?

19. rubjonny

dont need the loom to the dash, thats the same regardless. just the fuel pump and engine loom you need! the pump loom isnt difficult to make yasen, the plug is already there on your fusebox just nee to add 2 wires from the plug to the fuel pumps.

20. jono395 Forum Member

ahh that sounds good! So all i need is the ABF engine loom, like you suggested in the other thread:lol:.. and a small loom to the fuel pump..

do i not need to change the fuel lines?

* swapping and changing threads for the same subject... awesome!:lol:*