What I was up to Last Friday, ABF swap in 10 hours!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by rubjonny, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Donx22 New Member

im currently doing this conversion as well. just bought myself an ABF with 80K on the clocks, going to be putting it into a 91 Digipants, so am i right after reading all that, all i need is the ABF, abf wiring loom, CE2 loom>>> 16v or 8v for mk2???? to creat a mk2 ABF loom, do i need a new fuel pump and lines or will my original 8v's be ok? obv upgraded engine mounts, i thought about stripping the abf b4 it goes in, putting in new cams and springs. im looking for aorund thr 160-70 bhp mark but driveable and reliable.

on top of this i will only have a week to do everything over christmas lol i can hopefully make the mk2 ABF loom b4 then and strip the abf engine nd do everything i want with that b4 i attempt the actual conversion but what are your thoughts ppl!? i want to make sure i know everything thats going to happen b4 i attempt anything!

mcuh thanks if anyone can confirm all of this for me![:D]

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Could you please come round tomorrow and do a head gasket swap on my 16V G60? It's too cold out and I can't be bothered. I expect you to have it complete within thirty minutes. I will supply crumpets, tea and tools.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you run abf managment the MK2 8v digifant pump & lines will work perfectly, if you run KR managment then you need a KR pump & lines.

If your car is a 91 the ABF loom will be pretty much plug n play, but you'll end up with a fair few spare plugs hanging about in the bay with nothing to connect to, plus some plugs & wire lengths for the MK2 stuff you keep may differ also. Either an 8v or 16v bay loom will do you if you want to strip the abf loom and combine it, the engine bits you'll keep from the ABF loom anyway :)

As for engine mounts, use the MK2 G60/16v rear engine mount and 1.3 carby box and front mounts, unbolt all the ABF engine brackets and bolt on the old ones off your 8v :thumbup:

I would leave strippign the ABF down till you know it works, you dont actualky need to replace any of the head internals unless you fit MEGA cams, the stock ones are more than capable of runnign on fast road cams. Other issue with fitting uber cams is if you go to far the stock ecu cant cope! You can get 160-170 on an ABF without even trying really a decent remap on its own gets you close to that.

As you can see, swapping the actual engine doesnt take long, its all the preperation work that takes time. do as much as you can before you even get a spanner anywhere near the car ;)

Trev unfortunatly I have a full time job so weekends only :lol:
    I might be able to fit you in if the weather is ok, I have a wur swap and heater matrix to go in on saturday, do you have a new head to go on it?

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Heh, no just kidding - I'll probably do it this weekend. I just really envy your ability to get sh*t done so quickly! It is good going what you've done in so little time.

5. rubjonny

well you know what they say, practice makes perfect! this is engine #4 :lol:

6. enc. Forum Member

edit

7. enc. Forum Member

10 hours..... ya slackin lad ;)

8. mookie Forum Member

Just doing a bit of research, but if this was going from KR to ABF, do I literally strip the ABF engine to a bare block, head and rocker cover? Stuff like the oil cooler and flywheel are just KR bits?

What would I need in extras? I'm thinking: timing belt, tensioner, oil filter, injector o-rings, exhaust and intake gaskets, oil, coolant? Maybe new water pump and thermostat?

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

new clutch would be a good idea unless you know its a very recent one

10. mookie Forum Member

Damn, yeah meant to add that also... anything else I missed?

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

pretty much it i guess

12. rubjonny

You can use a fair ammount of the ABF bits, oil cooler and filter housing etc are all the same, use all the abf alternator, pas pump, coolant hoses etc if they're included or bolt on the old kr bits. Basically its a case of swapping over bits that are different, and keeping bits that will fit :lol:

Main things that need swapping over are the temp sensors on the side of the head, coolant flange on the front of the block, inlet manifold, dizzy and a MK2 clutch. New timing belt is recommended, but check which tensioner it has on there as they changed later in the production years, the late ones got a self tensioning one which is more expensive than the KR one. You can swap to the old type though simply by removing the stud off the side and fitting the KR one in it place!