What intercooler

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by isachunt, Feb 21, 2007.

1. isachunt Forum Member

Well the time has come to make a choice of cooler for my mk 1 g60 conversion.Im wanting to keep it stock looking no fancy polished pipes everywhere and would like to use as much of the orig pipe work as poss.What do you mk1 g60 owners use.I have seen some kits for this conversion but i think the thick end of between 600 & 800 seems like these people want to retire early

2. lairy_1

lairy_1 CGTI Regional Host

I used an ebay universal one on my mk1 G60, but it doesn't look anything like original - it's big and chrome!

I think that no matter what you use, you will end up with some samcos or similar. Standard pipework is very expensive - even second hand (if you can find any).

To fit it at the front, you'll need a Rallye U-bend and the black pipe that comes off that (with the spring around it). Then you can work it out from there. I have seen RS turbo intercoolers fitted, but they are too small in my opinion.

If you like, tomorrow I should be able to take photos of my conversion to give you a few ideas, but it looks nothing like the original pipework!

Matt.

3. isachunt Forum Member

Thanks Matt,pics would be great.I have all the orig pipe work from my my donor car (golf G60)What rad did you use?std mk1??.

4. lairy_1

I heard that the G60 rad is too wide - it will foul on the charger against the front panel when running a front mounted intercooler, although I never tried it.

My rad is from a 16v - they aren't as wide, and are twin core, unlike the standard mk1 rad. The pipes line up nicely as well - OE looking.

Because of the depth of our intercooler, I had to run a rad without a cowling, as it fouled the starter motor. Ideally I would have used a slimline fan, but these cost quite a bit, so I made a 3 legged G60 Corrado fan fit (with spacers), held on with ties pushed through the rad fins. This does the job well, and is not as bad as it sounds!

Everything is very tight, and I had to remove part of the battery tray to fit the rad properly. The tightest bit is the bottom hose - it touches the oil filter and the Rallye U-bend - not ideal, but it's the only way really. I would like to get pipework to relocate the oil filter elsewhere, but have not yet looked into prices for this.

The other problem is that if I need to do an oil filter change, the radiator needs to be removed. I imagine this could be worked around on yours by buying a thinner intercooler - I didn't quite get the measurements right! [:$]

I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them up - it's a bit awkward explaining this without pics for reference.

Matt.

5. Jetta Forum Junkie

I'm fitting a Volvo 740 T Intercooler to my GTD

The original GTD rad was huge, but it seems to be fine running a 1.6 carb rad and the Volvo IC fits nicely round it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click the pics for larger 1024x768 versions

I had to grind the front of the lower radiator support to get it to fit and I'm going to have to either fit the battery in the boot or move the radiator more towards the offside a bit so I can route the intercooler outlet tubing.

6. Kitsune Forum Member

My mates old Mk1 G60 used the standard 'Rado rad with a slimline fan (50) and a Lancia Integrale I/C (5!), then a few hundred quids worth of Samco's. I'm using an HKS FMIC which is about the size of the rad, a slimline rad and possibly a slimline fan, I haven't decided yet. Just waiting on the charger and the outlet to arrive.

7. lairy_1

GTD - I don't think there's any chance that your Volvo intercooler will fit in a mark 1!!!

I took pics of mine yesterday - I'll post them up later tonight.

Matt.

8. Jetta Forum Junkie

I didn't think it would fit my mk2 when I got it home, I had to get the grinder out to fit it

9. Collie Forum Junkie

gtd how much boost you going to run with that intercooler. Does that car of yours get along well. The reason i ask is i am looking for a second car and fancy something a bit different. gtd instead of gti etc. i used to have a td jetta but that was a bit tired . so have no comparison really. will yours be as quick as it petrol equivalent when its got the fuel and boost turned up.

10. lairy_1

Not the best pics, but you get the idea! (Ignore the messy wiring - it's 'work in progress' at the mo, and the bloody thing won't start either!) [:$] :lol:

Although it doesn't look it, the intercooler is full height - it sits on the cross member.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matt

11. isachunt Forum Member

Thanks Matt for the pics.Gives me a good idea of what way i wish to go

12. jc.. Forum Member

Nice intercooler....did you manage to fit the Dukes of Hazard Air horn back in afterwards :lol:

[​IMG]

13. lairy_1

Nice! :lol:

14. Jetta Forum Junkie

Nah I binned that in favour of a skoda dual tone

15. salsheikh Forum Member

16. Kitsune Forum Member

Lairy, excellent pics mate. My I/C is slightly longer but same height. What diameter is the pipes from the I/C, 70mm or so? I was a bit concerned in that I've never seen any big diameter hoses for sale.

Now all I need is the bloody rallye outlet.....

Any other pics of your Mk1?

I see you've also ditched your boost return pipe, could you give me some info on this? I thought that aided lubrication?

17. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

I also used a universal one - looks very similar to the one used by lairy above. I mounted mine the other way up as it allowed a much shorter length of pipe from the charger to intercooler. I don't know whether this is possble in the MK1 though - I guess there is less space between the chassis legs.

I used a Corrado G60 rad - and just slightly modified the lower mount and cowling to allow it to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. lairy_1

The pipes are 76mm (ish!). I needed the 76mm (internal diameter) Samcos - they are about 30 for each 90 degree bend, and then I needed a 76-63mm bend to reduce it to the throttle body size. I got them from Demon Tweeks - they tend to have everything in stock, and are very reasonable on price. One thing though - only buy the swaged samco joiners - they are a bit more expensive, but well worth it. I did try another make, but it kept blowing the hoses off - they just had rough edges instead of swages.

Rallye outlets are rare, and they are never less than 100. I got mine from someone on dubforce.net, but I have seen quite a few of them on ebay before. When you buy it, make sure that you get the gasket - it's a 5mm thick piece of metal. I had to make one, as it didn't come with one - not too much of a problem, but it is annoying!

Kitsune - the best place to look about removing the boost return pipe is on dubforce.net, as there are already lots of posts about it. There are a lot of people who say it's a very bad idea, but then other people swear by it. I did it because the engine I bought didn't come with one! I just use ptfe spray regularly (G-Werks sell it) to ensure the charger is always lubed. It ensures that you only get air from the filter - not recirculated from the throttle body again. Depending on how the car is running, this ensures that the air is (as much as possible) cold all the time. I love the sound too! Much louder than if you run the pipe.

Wolfsburg - that was my plan - when I measured up for the intercooler I was going to run it the other way up, but when I eventually got the intercooler, I was a bit shocked to see how tight it is in a mark 1 - I miscalculated slightly(!) - it was more or less impossible! The pipe bend would have been too tight. It is because the chassis legs are closer, but also, the cross member is not as far forward either. Even now, the pipes are almost touching the charger and the front panel.

Matt.

19. isachunt Forum Member

I noticed that your cooler is tall as you have removed the bonnet catch. I have a full size G60 cooler and rad set up but they are to big to fit the mk1 shell.I have heard thet a few people have had the orig cooler cut buy about 2.5inches so it fits.May sell the orig set up to buy suitable one.

20. lairy_1

Yes - I forgot about the bonnet catch when I measured up! [:$] Tried closing the bonnet, and had a nasty surprise when the hook hit the intercooler! You might have to do the same - the intercooler can't go very high if you want to keep the standard catch.

Might be worth selling it all and buying pipe sections tbh - I wouldn't start chopping things to fit, although it might look OEM if you get it right.

I paid approx. 100 for the intercooler, about 90 for three hose bends, and then about 30 for hose joiners. The Rallye bend was 100, and then the other two VAG hoses were about 40 I think - not sure what they are from, but I needed them to fit the CO2 sensor. You can get a chrome pipe from ebay that'll allow you to fit the CO2 sensor in - a company sells them on there, but I decided not to go for that.

One thing that might be worth doing - (I found this after I had done my conversion!) - on Dubforce there are lots of people with mk1 G60's - there is even a post with people asking who's got one. You could post on there and ask how they have done their intercooler set ups for more ideas/ photos. Like I say - I worked it all out myself, so mine is not likely to be the best way of doing things!

Matt.