What is a good base engine/car for TDI tuning? 200bhp+ sleeper

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by altern8, Oct 1, 2010.

1. aidanb22 Forum Member

Yes its all doable, but neither of those first 2 cars have an LSD.
    I'd be test driving 300+ lbft FWD (or 1 wheel drive as its likely to be) in the wet before paying anything, and then probably buying a 330D instead for the same money.

EDIT - that sounded arsey... I think these cars have gone for headline figures basically, if they'd gone for 50bhp less but with an LSD then it's be more usable in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^ and a 330D is a much much better car :lol:

3. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

That last build is crazy mucka, good find

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

like others have said the problem will be the torque... you dont need megga bhp or torque... less weight is the key.

my A4 is running 175bhp and 295lb/ft torque and its front wheel drive, in the damp its fun if you try and make a quick get away... it just lights up and the traction goes mad, it doesnt toque steer as its an inline set up so equal length drive shafts..(someting else to keep in mind on other tansverse models)

there is a old saying. theres no substitue for CCs I would be looking at a 6 pot TDI if I wanted the max BHP...

but with you waying ****rat and also asking else where how a estate handles I would say be looking at either a 130bhp B6 A4 Avant S line, these are pretty quick and high spec but pretty cheap, or if you can go a boit more, up to 8-10k look at a 140bhp A7 A4 Avant S line... not the lightest car but is more than nippy enough to upset others and can be a bit of a sleeper when re mapped. (esp if you de-badge it fully inc the audi rings... that really confuses folks)

5. altern8 Forum Junkie

What gear boxes are in the a4 avants? I had a look at the B5 or 5.5 avants but they are only 110bhp. shame.

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

it depends... in the B6 version the lower specs are 5 speed, and higher specs are 6 speed..on the B7s the 115bhp is 5 speed, even in S line trim, and the the 140/170s are 6 speed no matter what the spec

personally id always get the 6 speed box for better crusing