What to look for in a mountain bike?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 1990, Oct 5, 2008.

1. dooosuk Forum Member

One of Decathlon's bike got a decent review in an under 500 test once. I wouldn't really contemplate them for anything more serious than bridleway riding unless you're getting the top of the range ones (but then for that money you could get something elsewhere).

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone want to share an opinion on Saracen? Specifically the Pro-trax?

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

saracan used to be decent, not really into thier latest stuff. what year is it and how much is it going for?

4. Admin Guest

no because you'd hurt me Dex[:$] :lol:

back in 95 the Saracen Pro trax was a damn fine bike and very well specced. for some reason, i think the brand was brought or cut costs and went down hill rapidly into producing rather shyte bikes for halfords.

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

i pick up my bike last night a specialized fsrxc got it for 390 off ebay and looks like it has been riden once . still has the nipples on the original tyres . can't wait to get out on it :)

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ nice bike but bloody heavy, you will be super fit if you start riding it up hills :thumbup:

7. gillm

gillm ***** User

not compared to my old intense .

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

my housemate had a red one, 07 I think. Uphill he couldn't get near me on my stumpy (one of the best climbing bikes there is imo) but then back down the hill he was loads quicker. I really want a rocky mountain full sus now

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

My boss is a **** and isn't interested in the cycle scheme at all despite sounding interested on monday.

I'm after a used GT avalanche or Specialized Hardrock now.

I've managed to kill the british eagle after 2 weeks of using it. The brakes are now non existant, the forks feel loose, the gears change by themselves every 2 turns of the wheel and it creaks like a good un when its wet. I've been hamering it though, i've been going up the road in the morning and then the scenic route home at night where after a bit of a climb theres a massive cobbled road to ride down.

Heres some pics from my phone of a big res called Greenbooth:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

looks great, get a decent bike and it will literally be twice the fun. one of the only sports where spending money on equipment actually makes the enjoyment factor better

11. 1990

If you would have said that 2 weks ago I would have said STFU, now though I do agree to a limit.

12. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Not gonna hurt ya ;)

I've got an old Saracen Protrax (not the SE I don't think) rigid front and rear, it's easily ten years old so sounds like it's from the right time.

May well be swapping it for a Merlin though - currently running carbon fibre rigid forks, but most likely going to stick a spare set of Judys on there.

13. Admin Guest

Sounds like a good plan there Dex.

i spent a week riding a rigid bike whilst on holiday, i had forgotten how tough it was!

14. GolfBryan Forum Member

I have the 2006 version of this, works a treat and was free (not stolen) so more than happy!

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

back in the day I always wanted a merlin titanium... lovely looking bikes and you could build them with what ever groupset you wanted etc :thumbup:

16. 1990

I'm thinking of a Cannondale F6 today, very light, RockShox forks and Avid juicy 3 hydraulic brakes amongst other stuff, that seems better than the GT 2.0's Suntour forks and Tektro brakes both are 369.00. A guy in my local bike shop who sells the GT said i'd struggle to get new pads for those brakes.

17. Admin Guest

Ian you are getting into this!

seems that you are getting the idea of what you are looking at now.

18. dooosuk Forum Member

I own a Cannondale F600 (about 5years old now I guess). Had an F700 before that and also have a Gemini.

Great bikes, you won't go far wrong with that.

19. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I've got the '05 model GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc. Very happy with the bike, the spec has gone down slightly over the years with the front forks and brakes, but they are a simple upgrade.

I have just fitted a pair of Rock Shox Tora forks and it's totally transformed the bike, picked them up for under 100 second hand with hardly any miles on them.

20. 1990

I went and paid for the 2008 Cannondale F6 today. They price matched 359.00 that I found on the internet, and I collect it tomorow then get a free service after 6 weeks and a free safety check after 6 months. I got it from Leisure Lakes in Bury.

I can't wait!! I picked up a 2009 brochure while I was there and the F6 has jumped to 499.99 and lost its juicy 3's and got the Tektro hyd. brakes that the guy in the shop said weren't as good.

THIS is it