What to look for in a mountain bike?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 1990, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I'm buying a Saracen Rufftrax off a friend for 50. Only used 3 times, 2005 model.

Any good?

2. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I wouldn't tackle the Redbull Ramage on it, but that's a bargain, they're not great, but you can hit most stuff on it. I think they were about 500 new.

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I've got it now and love it. Its like swapping a mk3 for a mk2;)

I've just selotaped my lights on ready for a big climb in the morning. I cant wait, I might set off early and go past the farm then back to it a different way. I'll definately do that in summer when i'll be riding in daylight.

4. Admin Guest

will do you well Ian.

5. 1990

I'm after a few bits now if anyone could help me choose the right ones:

Padded baggy shorts for less than 20quid,
    Decent front light,
    writable DVD's;),
    Hi viz backpack thats waterproof enough for my laptop,
    Helmet for about 20quid,

Anything else?

6. Admin Guest

can't help with the choice of padded shorts but worth while investment! i think i'll be getting a pair soon for XC riding.

now what would you want dvd's for on a bike?:lol:

have a butchers round halfords or chainreactioncycles for bits and bobs.

7. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Thanks, anything is an improvement on my Raleigh Max lol

8. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Can't recommend what to go for, but I get all my stuff from here Chain Reaction Cycles. Really well priced and free first class delivery.

9. dooosuk Forum Member

With the helmet, it's best to try a few different brands on first in a shop. Some brands fit peoples heads better than others.

Also, what do you want to do with the front light? Decent front lights for off road use are 100+ (some may argue nearer 200). For commuting etc there are some LED torches that run off AA for 10.

10. gorilly Forum Member

last month i bought a Rockrider 8.1 [​IMG] from decathlon.

its got S-RAM SX7 all over, avid juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes, roxshox tora front suspension with rem lock out, truvativ crank etc.. the wheels are decent enough.

its was just under 500

i looked for a while at bikes, i did have a GT agressor, i tested a GT avalanche but hated the riding position, rockhoppers seemed more money than i wanted to spend

im really happy with my bike, been doing a bit of downhill but mainly XC.

i'd go down to decathlon and check out the 8.1... its good for the money

EDIT: ahh just seen you already bought your bike! nice choice....

11. s1m0n Forum Member

Man.. You live in a nice part of the country ;) No wonder you killed that old British Eagle lol...

Glad to see your sorted, I would agree with the others that with MTB's you do get what you pay for and as you get fitter you push the bike that much harder, more usually means it's a bit tougher and able to handle the new fitter you

Cheers

Simon

(Still in love with my Whyte 46)

12. 1990

I'm still enjoying the Cannondale, the only problem I have is with flat tyres due to glass or thorns.

My mate has an 08' Scott Genious MC40, i'm trying to blag him to get a new one and sell me that.

13. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Keep the 'Dale.

Bike-shop owners often get really snotty about them, and tbh I love it.
    I think they see Cannondale owners as 'all the gear/no idea' but thankfully the bikes usually prove themselves.
    This is mine, I bought it brand new as Frame & Forks.
    Came with a 5-year warranty.
    That expired 5 years ago, and the bike is still in daily use.

[​IMG]

As for buying parts, CRC & Wiggle FTW.

14. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

whats the point of the 6ft seatpost?

15. N/B

N/B Forum Member

13" BB Clearance.
    Honestly, it fits me. Ridden it in that setup for the past 6 years or so (had a slightly shorter post that niggled before that), and it's a great fast street bike.

16. dooosuk Forum Member

Err, how does the seat post length alter the BB clearance?

I'd argue that the bike doesn't fit you but I can't be bothered. I'm not doubting it's a fast street bike though. I have 2 'dales myself and love them.

17. N/B

N/B Forum Member

The seatpost looks inordinately long because the frame has a high BB clearance and a very short seat tube (it's the M900 Beast Of The East geometry).
    It's set up as a quick street bike but handles 60-mile roadtrips to the coast too, the riding position its more 'tucked' than your average MTB.
    I take photographs for a living, and believe me that can f**k my back up all on its own - I couldn't ride a bike that didn't fit me, honestly.

18. lufbramatt Forum Member

yea that frame does look as if its too small for you- in my mind id want a size up at least with less seatpost and a shorter stem, but everyones diferent and if it suits you then thats cool, just looks a bit 1992 :lol:

but often a smaller frame feels a lot more chuckable and nimble than the "proper" size- in 6'2" and have a 19" orange evo2, really i should have the 21" version but when i rode it, it felt like sitting on top of a farmyard gate. the 19" one ive got rides really well and looks better.

before Sleepless in the Saddle a few years ago, has had hope minis with cool blue Hope XC hubs put on it since then :) :

[​IMG]

19. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Exactly. Sounds silly, but this bike is perfect for sprinting around at full pelt, braking late & hard, and generally beating the traffic.
    It's from 1999, so yeah it's pretty 90's [:D]

Nice Orange.
    My GF has a fully rigid P7 (steel, oh yes) from 2006, it's soooo comfy!
    She originally wanted to spend about 400 on a bike, and barely saw where the extra money went, but after test-riding a few Aluminium street bikes (C'dale Bad Boy, etc) she just fell in love with the P7.
    700 later, she was home.

20. lufbramatt Forum Member

oo yea classic frame the P7. half wish id got one of them after riding a mates one. theres something nice about a decent steel frame that you dont get with ally. Although you cant go too light in steel otherwise they just break. My best mate has a steel full dynamix frame thats got cracks all over it where the steel is just too thin and cant take the abuse, shocking really for the price he paid for it.

think my next frame will be something american, titanium and expensive [:D]