Where can I get a cheap Dremel type tool?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by voteforpedro, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mk2_pete Forum Member

i went the whole hog after breaking 2 proper dremels and bought a clark die grinder and the tools from machine mart

2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Any up to date suggestions?

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Wow seraph really was a nob, id sort of forgotten how annoying he was.

Anyway I got one from maplin, 20-30quid with loads of bits, used it loads and loads, really handy and on the fastest speed it works well, dont bother with the stupid colour grinding stone attachments, just get a good carbide burr.

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

can you link the one you have on their site please?

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Just had a look but not sure they sell it anymore it was a good couple years ago, this one looks the most like what I remember the case looking like and the tool looks like mine.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223105

What you using it for? I can tell you if it will be up to the job.

6. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I would like to cut through my chainsaw exhaust to derestrict it lol

7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

The cutting disks they supply although will cut they will also shatter in your face, I bought a pack of metal toothed one from b+q and they cut better.

Could you not get a hacksaw or grinder in there, dremel type tools are ok but can be slow going.

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

tsc has actually informed me you can get slitting discs for angle grinders. Toolstation do 0.8mm ones. That will do the trick

9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

if you can get at it with the disk then yea cant see why it wouldnt cut it easy, again they can shatter if your not careful but 0.8mm ones are what I use for choping exhausts, body work and most things tbh.

10. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I bought a Dremel 300 from B&Q on the weekend for 52 for the 55 piece kit

Couple of questions, how are you meant to attach the small discs? There doesn't seem to be an attachment to fit the holes?

Finally will the 'cut-off wheel no 409' cut through my chainsaw exhaust?

11. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Hard to explain the disc attachment tool and I have one in my hand, its like a normal solid rod with a tapped hole in the end, then a mini bolt/screw that goes into the tapped rod, between the bolt and the rod you put the disk in with a little paper/rubber washer either side. If you understood that fair play coz im not even sure I do.

And that disc should do it, they dont wear out smaller but they do end up pretty smooth quickly.

Edit: Found this tiny pic, [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  12. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

thanks very much. the washers I found hidden underneath the tray. Already snapped 3 just playing round haha

13. G60RCaol Forum Member

The only thing i've found my dremel good at, despite the adverts on TV a couple of years ago, is removal of small amounts of metal with a carbide burr set, and cleaning up aluminium with wire brushes.

14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I mainly use mine for fine burring aswell, but thats sometimes very handy for sorting out knackered bolt heads where you really can only use a normal socket.

I have got it out atm to modify another VR6 splitter to fit a clipper bumper, really good with a metal toothed disc to chop up soft plastics.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I port matched an inlet and exhaust manifold with the B&Q version, and matched the inlet to a bigger throttle body. I used a mixture of grinding stones and the little sanding drums. It's OK with aluminium, but not quick with steel/iron. I blew the first one's motor on the supersprint exh manifold, but they replaced it under warranty.:thumbup:

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

did that not take quite a while Mike? For serious metal shifting I use a flexi drive with a big burr in it attached to a router, shifts some serious metal at 20,000rpm.

17. G60RCaol Forum Member

I find its very good for porting with the carbide burrs on.. though mine broke the other day. I wander if it's actually worth getting a dremel rather than clarke?

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

It did, but going slowly is good when you're not all that skilled :thumbup: