which gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Dub 6N2, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

Malta (little island in the Mediterenian)
    I have a 1.8 gti and would like a lower ratio gearbox...is there any other smaller engined gearbox that I can take the gearbox off? Maybe the 1.6gti or maybe the 1.3l golf if it can withstand the power

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do you mean short ratio for fast accelleration? if so mk1 1.6 gti is an awesome box for that. 1.3 wont fit. i had FD code on my mk1 16v:
    http://www.scirocco.org/gears

3. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

yes exactly shorter ratios for faster acceleration (for hillclimb type purposes) ... so the 1.6 gti will fit and handle the power well? Whilst having shorter ratios?

4. rubjonny

all 020 boxes are the same strength so it makes no odd what you put in they'll cope the same. best thing is get a diff bolt kit that will remove 1 major point of failure on these boxes. only potential issue is the flanges, mk1 1.6 will have 90mm flanges and yours might have 100mmshafts depending on what age your car is

5. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

As RJ has said the early 1.6 boxes have 90mm flanges and the 100mm flanges WILL NOT fit IIRC.

6. rubjonny

7. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

thanks for the replies :) in my box I have an LSD...can that and the flanges be transferred to the 1.6 box?

8. rubjonny

you woudl have to swap some of the other internals as the final drive is different, by the time you;'ve done that though you'll loose some of your gear ratios. have a look at brokes guide on stripping gearboxes :)

9. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Danster is the one to give a definitive answer....but I kind of recall there is a hard foul condition when trying to use the 100mm flanges in the very early 1.6 boxes...

10. rubjonny

yeah you might be right, im a little fuzzy on that!

actually ignore my post above re: final drive too! dont you keep the ring gear when you fit an LSD? if so, then yeah it'll swap right over to the 1.6 box :thumbup:

just a case of get 90mm shafts to fit the car if the 100mm flanges wont go on

11. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

the flanges will be the least of a problem, though I would not like to loose the lsd ... selfish me hehe

12. rubjonny

yeah sorry I was being a dumbass :lol:

LSD you bolt to the old ring gear, so yeah it'll fit the 1.6 box no problem:

[​IMG]

13. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

There are two different dia of LSD.....109mm for a 8v box and 111mm for a 16v box so you need to be certain of what you currently have as the ring & pinion need to be selected to suit the LSD. In other words you can't just drop a 16v LSD in to a 1.6 box as the ring gear will not fit it.....although I know that Hotgolf can open up the ring gear to suit from memory ;)

14. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

haha no worries mate :) would be really great then if it fits :)

my golf is an 8v so the lsd should be 109mm and therefore fit the 1.6 no? :) thanks loads to both of you for your knowledge :)

BTW is the 1.6 a 5 gear as well?

15. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Yep your LSD should be fine in that case. As for is the 1.6 a 5-sp......it will be as long as you get a 5-sp rather than 4-sp box as the very very early 1.6 GTIs did infact only have a 4-sp box :thumbup:

16. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

thanks loads buddy :) sorry to ask but I am very dumb in gearboxes as you might have realized ... what would the code be for the 5spd 1.6 gearbox plsss [:D][:D]

17. rubjonny

FD, you can also use the scirocco gear ratio linky above to see what other codes are same/similar :thumbup:

18. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

yeah thanks for that site :) I can finally learn something about boxes hehe ... and actually found out that to take out the diff needs quite some work and therefore money :(

sorry to be a dumbass bus is the gearbox code "FD" only? or 020FD?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  19. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

thanks :) no sorry haven't looked into there ... will definitely read it though as it might come in useful

20. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

so from the transmission FAQs I found my gearbox which is a 4S (according to the code it has stamped - 4S14031) and the one I am after is the FD...I compared them and have some questions..

4S 8/87 - 7/88 Jetta, '86-'90 1.6L Diesel 3.94 3.45 1.94 1.29 0.91 0.75 2.96 100mm Large Hole
    FD 8/79 - 7/80 Jetta, 8/82 - 7/83 Rabbit 3.89 3.45 2.12 1.44 1.13 0.91 3.54 90mm Small Stud

what is the small/large switch referring to? and to which mount are they referring to as stud or hole?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011