which gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Dub 6N2, Dec 6, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the switch is for the reverse switch. early box has a large multi pin switch, later box has a smaller threaded hole for 2 pin switch. the stud/hole refers to where the lower rear mk1 box mount attaches, mk1 boxes have studs on for this mount, mk2 and later dont have the studs fitted as they dont use this mount. however the holes are threaded if they are in the box casting, iirc the very late boxes dont have the holes at all.

lots of info on switches/mountings plus way more on brokes website, link is above :)

2. danster Forum Addict

If your gearbox code is 4S and it already has an LSD fitted, then it would be worth checking it has not already had the close ratio gearset fitted when the box had the diff installed.

4S is a good gearbox casing to have as it will take the 100mm inner CVs should you choose to use them.
    I have built hybrid boxes using the 4S case and final drive and installing the close ratio GTI type gears. Makes a good box, effectively the same as the FD coded one, but with the facility to use larger inner CVs.

3. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

Malta (little island in the Mediterenian)
    hmm it's always a good start if I have a good gearbox. Definitely I will ask the previous owner if he had done modifications to the gearbox before going into any hassle :)

4. Hilux Forum Member

Yup, the larger diameter (100mm) flanges rub/foul on early boxes on one side and cant be fitted.

5. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

so have I understood well...can I take the 1.6l gearbox internals and put them into my current 4S gearbox?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

7. danster Forum Addict

Have you found out what your current gearbox has fitted in it though? As I mentioned earlier, if someone has already installed an LSD into a 4S coded gearbox, there is every chance they installed the close ratio GTI gearset at the same time.
    If this is the case then there is no point stripping the box to fit the gearset from the FD code box, as it would give the same ratios.
    The 4S already uses a 3.94 FD which is marginally lower ratio than the 3.89 in the FD box.
    If the 4S does not have the close ratio gearset from a GTI then you would only need to install the input shaft and gearset from the FD box. This means you would not have to disturb the shimming of the output shaft and differential which involves a fair bit of work.

8. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

not yet as the previous owner won't answer my calls [:x] Trying to thing harder and I might remember him saying something about closer ratio gears but definitively not sure :/