Which mk1 golf top mounts?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Lhasa2008, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

Would anyone recommend some proper adjustable top mounts for a mk1 golf gti?
    My original oem ones need replacing so thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade :thumbup:

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ground control are probably up with the best, but not cheap.

Compbrake ones are OK - good value for money - do the job but make the car sit a bit higher.

If you really want to upgrade, think about extending the turrets upward for more suspension travel.

3. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

Wow. $400+ for the Ground Control ones. There would need to be an exceptional dollar exchange rate to afford them! lol

Always loved the idea of extending the turrets, forgot there has been a few mk1 with this mod over the years :thumbup:

Lhasa2008

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

What suspension do you have - do you want - settings to run ?

5. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

I've currently got top adjustable koni sports which have limited ability to increase the camber, and the top mounts need replacing, so I thought replacement adjustable top mounts would be a good option. :)

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

You should be able to get 2`-ve with the standard set up ... ? Which I found was more than enough for a fast road and occasional track car on road legal track tyres.

Unless you are fitting an improved suspension and wish to also adjust the caster I would not bother with those `solid` top mounts.

You don`t necessarily need to raise the turret either, you can fit Compbrake items under the existing turret and have the dampers made to suit (shorter).

Can you still get the `uprated` standard type mount from Bonrath ?

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I have to say, when I fitted Compbrake mounts on Koni sport suspension, I found the extra castor made a big difference to turn in.

Bonrath top mounts are hard to find. I'm not sure if they've stopped making them completely, but they are certainly hard to find.

8. murph81 Forum Member

Are we talking about road cars or track cars here, surely solid mounts are too hard for the road?

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

They're pretty nasty and crashy on the road, yes. I think the OP does trackdays in his.

10. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

Surely you would just run a softer damping when driving on the road with these to compensate?

11. murph81 Forum Member

I know of a couple of Mk1's using Mk4 top mounts with Mk4 strut top plates.

12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have never had this problem. The crashy drive people experience is probably because of the damper characteristics itself. The OE rubber topmount just absorbs it. The Bump setting on my KW's makes my car ride better even with GC topmounts than my FKs or H&Rs did on OE mounts.

You could always fit the compbrake ones on top like finchy did years ago? You would need to cut off the raised lip on the turret though.

Jamesa is right. If you can find a shorter damper then you won't need to raise the turrets. BC Racing started doing mk1 coilovers now too and they can lower the car without loosing damper travel at all.

Gurds

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Up to a point, but a bit like changing to stiffer engine / gearbox mounts, they will transmit more road noise and vibration into the shell than a rubber mount. If you're running stiff track springs on the front, it'll be pretty hard no matter your damping settings.

Hardy northern souls, and some southern ones, may well be willing to live with this on the road, but personally I wouldn't put them in a car that's a daily, or regular road driver.

14. Admin Guest

Tbh I noticed no increased noise or vrabration when I went solid top mounts.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I noticed lots, but it's in a car with no soundproofing, rattly plastic windows, no carpet, etc.

16. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

If it helps I've still got carpet! ;)

17. mickey marrows Forum Member

Ground Controls may be expensive, but in my opinion worth every penny.

I have a set of Bonrath mk1 top mounts in my unit.. from back in the day...

18. murph81 Forum Member

What do you think of the Bonrath mounts, I'm just about to buy a new set for my V3's.

19. Dclarke Forum Member

I use Eurosport units from the States on my race Mk1. Never had an issue, no castor adjustment but loads of camber to play with. Built very well and a fraction of the price of the Ground Control units. www.eurosportacc.com

20. murph81 Forum Member