Which 'Rado to buy...? edit.... Got a 2.0 16v..

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by Tristan, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like I will be saying goodbye to the Integrale soon , and I've always had a hankering for VWs classic coupe . I've never driven one mind , but I love the looks . I've done lots of driving in mk2 GTIs , how does the driving experience compare?
    And what's the best car to buy , leaving out VR6s (The road tax here in Ireland would be crippling) seeing as I've never left a car standard? Bearing in mind it'd be my main , non work use car .

Kr , 9a , or look for an ABF'd one?

Thanks in advance .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

VR6 will bankrupt you (Unless you find a very good one)
    G60 will bankrupt you (Period)
    16v 2.0l - Ok with some choice mods - (This would be my choice) I love a buzzing 16v
    16v 1.8l - As above
    8v - Doesnt enspire me in the least.

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

Were it me I'd got for a 16v with an ABF and possibly some fiddling with the gearbag to drop the ratios a bit..

4. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Ditto... An ABF with a 4.25 final drive would make for a 'keen' road car.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2.0 16v corrado with kr/abf inlet cam (depending age of 9a lump) will be pretty much as good as an abf if in good condition/after a tune. however, a kr one will mean you wont have a cat for when you fancy upgrading, plus its 1 less expensive thing to go wrong. if you plan to change the engine anyway then go for whatever you can pick up the cheapest!

8v one will still have the low down torque, just not as much top end as the 9a. personally id prefer a 2.0 8v over a 1.8 16v after having both engines in my mk2

6. coullstar Forum Member

No no no. The 8v in the Corrado is woeful. Ive owned them all and it would be a 2l with the KR inlet cam added. Nicer dash in the 2l as well. There not that quick though as there a bit heavier than the Mk2's but the do feel about 20 years younger. What Integrale are you selling?

7. Tristan

'88 8v , red , all standard and tidy , with a 16v bonnet.

cheers all..

8. rubjonny

spose it depends on your preferences, and if your 2.0 8v was running properly! as i say had both 2.0 8v, and 1.8 16v in my mk2 and preferred the drive of the 2.0 8v. obviously 2.0 16v is better, which is what i have now [:D]

trouble is if you want an 8v corrado is finding one :lol: but as above, buy whatever is cheapest and put whatever engine you want in it, my choice would be abf on digi managment any day of the week

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

2.0 8v in a MK3 Golf is crap, far worse in a heavy Corrado.
    1.8 KR a bit gutless with the lack of torque in this chassis, even with the AGC gearbox.
    2.0 16v 9A with a KR inlet would be OK even on the AYK gearbox. Peharps a bit better with the AGC gearbox.
    With this car you need more torque to heave it around = Ankor engine in 2.8 or better 2.9
    As the ankor engine is too expensive to run in N.I and G60 would probably blowup in 2 miles (just kidding) 2.0 16v 9A with a gearbox change to AGC or 3.9 FD fitted to and AYK would be my preference.

10. rubjonny

didnt say the 8v would be fast :lol:
    but i would still prefer to have the torque of the 2.0 over the kr. but best choice for me would be the 2.0 16v if i was going to keep the engine, or whatever model i can pick up cheap if i was to change the engine. though the vr6 would be seriously tempting!

tbh my future plan is to get a rado and install an Audi V8 + Porsche RWD running gear a few years down the line. Keep the MK2 as the practical daily and make the Rado into summat crazy.

11. Tristan

I'd love a VR , for the sound alone , but annual road tax of about 1300 euro? no thanks.

12. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

:o Fu<K That...

13. Tristan

indeed.

deal is off now apparently , so the 'Grale gets a reprieve...

14. AndyRhino

AndyRhino Forum Junkie

strongly disagree with all negatives about g60. loads of torque, great sound, never let me down and NOT bankrupted me.

other than that an ABF'd one would be good.

15. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

How much is a charger re-build these days!? ;)

16. Tristan

........and apparently the deal is back on!

Also found a pretty straight '93 2.0 corrado for 1000 euro , my next question is how much difference does the KR inlet cam make to a 9A?

17. danster Forum Addict

Welcome to the Raddo club Tristan. :thumbup:

They are great cars............... I plan on having one trailered here in the next few days seeing as it won't move under it's own steam. :lol:

18. Tristan

Oh I didn't buy it...yet... Danny! going to look at it , with her-who-must-be-obeyed , on Friday . She used have one....

19. danster Forum Addict

You've not bought it yet? You need to be more impulsive man. As Nike says... Just Feckin Do It. :lol:

Who is wearing the trousers in this relationship of yours anyway? You need to gain control of the situation and prioritise things a little more. All this talk in your other thread of wooing this fine lady with exotic cuisine in expensive restaurants needs to be balanced with your needs as a petrol abusing bloke. :thumbup:

20. Tristan

dude... I've a rally car , 3 mk1s , a 71 chassis'd/85 bodied Rangerover , an Integrale and I'm going looking at a Corrado... And I'll no doubt go in her mk5 GTI... so trust me , the trouser situation is sorted!

just don't tell her I said that!