Who uses their mk2 daily, and how many miles?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by scruffydubber, Nov 25, 2010.

1. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I was wondering how many people use a mk2 as a daily car, and what sort of milage they cover?
    would be great to hear of somebody doing big commutes.

I miss driving one everyday, but I'm unsure how i would find it after driving newer cars.

2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Mine a piece of **** to be fair... F reg 8v digi.. Its got 120,000 miles of thereabouts.. Always starts first time.. Never let me down..

Its rusty as a nail, the exhaust is falling off, the driver seat looks like its been eaten by a dog. But I'm attached to the old girl..

3. Pluginz Forum Member

Ive driven my 8 valve everyday since 1999. She had 60,000 on the clock when i got it.

Had a TSR pack C head and cam fitted in 2002. She now has 138,000 on the clock. Always started and never let me down.

Ive put some money into her over the last 11 years but to be honest the cars well and truly paid for itself. :)

Its just the heavy steering and a few squeaks and creaks that get on my nerves. I just turn the stereo up louder hehe

Gonna do an ABF transplant very soon and im pretty sure then i could drive the car daily for another 11 years [:D]

4. Mikey Forum Member

Driven a Mk2 every day since 1996!

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Mine is a daily too and I honestly love driving it. End up doing around 300 miles a week.

6. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

My 16v is my daily too. It's on 143k. I do about 500 miles a week. It's never broken down on me properly, had one air leak problem and that's it. It has just failed it's MOT though, but nearly sorted.

I reckon I'll treat it to an ABF once it hits 150k.

7. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

The only thing I can complain about it is that even though I've changed the heater motor, checked all the heater ducting etc, and it has a new heater matrix, it's still poor at demisting!

8. MacColl Forum Member

9. geordiegar Forum Member

I've had various Mk2's only for the last 12 years and currently do 15k miles a year in my tuned 16v with no problems.

10. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

That's a fair bit of milage. Do you ever grumble about paying for the fuel, and think about getting a diesel?

Or is it a case of you want to use the mk2, so it does matter about fuel costs.

Thanks for the replies, You don't see that many on the roads where i live, it's mostly rep car's. nice to hear about one's being used on a daily bases.
    Although It's making me want one for daily duties.

11. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

My abf mk2 is a daily but only does about 5 miles a day if all I do is go to work and back.

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

drove a mk1 cabrio daily for a year thru the winter, after that the mk2 was luxury :lol:

service it properly and dont fit a stupid cheap crap suspension kit to it and they're pretty comfy to drive. pas helps for the parking too. mine has all the creature comforts though have to say. ticked over 190k last month and it runs sweet as a nut. though it should do as pretty much everything on it has been replaced! MK3 ABF lump with digi managment makes for a faultless driving experience no matter the weather

13. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

I am just sorting mine out prior to using it as a daily, it will be doing > 500 miles a week, its a 127K miles '85 8v, however proir to pushing it into service I am refreshing the running gear, So far I ahve just done the front shocks and changed the top mounts for G60 items. However I have new bushes to go on the front wishbones and back beam, and will be changing the rear shocks as well, while the shocks are working they look like they will be rusted though soon!. I will also have a new cam belt on and all the normal service stuff. It will also be 100% standard just to make life easier

I woudl not normaly go this far, but the costs involved are so low, and it should be close to a new Mk2 to drive after, the car also came with virtually nil history so I am doing more than I would normally before pressing it into service

14. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I drive mine about 150 miles a week. It's about to tick over 200k and still going strong. I wouldn't change a bit, I went from driving a A4 to a mk2 and love it.

15. Admin Guest

I use mine just as a normal car when I'm not at work, mines on 209k on the original untouched engine.

I use it to go to Scotland so it gets driven 1200 miles or so a few times a year. Cheapest car to run I've ever had. Average 4-5k a year now in it.

16. Dubmuffin Forum Member

My MK2 is my daily :) and to be honest I would prefer otherwise because he really is starting to show the signs, especially over winter. I only drive about 8 miles down he road and back to work though, then whatever I do in the evenings doesn't take up much.

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

Min, get a heated front screen, superb.

www.heatedwindscreen.com

18. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

i use mine daily - 120 miles per day

19. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Kinda wished I hadnt fitted 40mm lowering (shocks/springs) and poly bushes to my daily mk2 (only car), its doing my back in!

Gets through about 15k a year, would consider getting something newer/ more comfortable but ive just ploghed too much cash into the mk2 to get it through the MOT to ever sell it! It shall be run into the ground!

D

20. VdubNash Forum Member

Got my 1800 Driver on 90k about 7 years ago and is now on 215k!!

Gets used to travel to work - 250 miles a week.

Lowered 60mm too!

Hopefully when I get a van through work I can ease up on the old dub.