Who uses their mk2 daily, and how many miles?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by scruffydubber, Nov 25, 2010.

1. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Great reading about all these being used as a daily.

The last 3-4years I've gone in a bit of a cycle of, new car then back to old, then back to new.

And no matter how hard i try I get drawn back to a mk2 as a daily.

2. BugginPaul Forum Member

I've owned 2 mk2's over the last 6 years, both used daily, and both never adverse to just being driven for hours at a time... clocked up over 500 miles the other thursday :thumbup:

3. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

Been driving MK2 Golfs as daily's for probably about 8-9 years.
    (Apart from a brief time with a MK1, :thumbup:)

Never really had any major problems with them. Certainly no more than any other car, even much newer ones.

Lots of people say that I should get a newer 'more reliable' car... rubbish. No depreciation, and unless you're a complete f*nny they're just as comfortable and easy to drive as anything else.

My annual mileage is around 5 - 6k at the moment, my biggest regret is that my poor old valver has to be left in the street outside.[:^(]

4. damien.wrl Forum Member

youve both done more miles sleeping than I have in mine

5. sean76 Forum Member

its nice to see that others are used as dailys too.mines an 89 digi with 151,000 on it and is used every day without fail,even if i have no work on that day i just jump in an go for a drive.wouldnt have it any other way:thumbup:

6. Chris P Forum Member

My daughter uses her Mk2 driver as a daily come rain or shine or snow(!)doing over 10k miles a year and the car has just flown through the MOT only needing a CV boot.My son uses his C reg Type 19 daily and his 17 year old mates both have 1.3 daily drivers as they can get relatively cheap insurance with Footman James given their age.
    I drive a D reg Audi as a daily doing nearly 10k miles a year and all it has needed in 41/2 years is a cambelt,brake pads and some oil changes.My mk2 will be a summertime daily when its back from PSI.
    Lots of Mk2s on the road in this part of Leicestershire, but then we're not on the edge of the Cotswolds! (lol)

7. Jimojameso New Member

I use my 16v for commuting. 350 miles a week on a 80k car. Its great!! I drive whatever the weather!!! :)

8. ejonesy New Member

I don't use my mk2 as a daily and don't think I ever would. For me, it's just too old/covered too many miles for me to trust it to run right on a daily basis. I've had a few age related issues with mine, love it to bits and put's a smile on my face everytime I drive it, but to use it as a daily? Not for me.

I ran a mk1 gti as a daily a few years back and had so many problems with it and spent so much just keeping it on the road, it was a joke! Think it's put me off for life.

I think the only way I'd use it daily is if I completely refurbed the whole car so I knew everything was tip top. But then I probably wouldn't want to take it out and get it dirty :lol:

Just my personal opinion of course. It's great to hear so many being used as daily's :thumbup:

9. kipvr Forum Member

750 miles a week since January, one breakdown caused by myself. 42mpg cruising at 70 on the motorway. It felt old when i first used it, but I tried a friends new mondeo the other day just to compare fuel costs, and it felt so wallowy and lardy I was glad to get back in the Golf! It was 2 cheaper per journey though, but then it cost 12k to buy....

10. rich81 Forum Member

Work and back every day in my 1998 mk2. This winter is taking it's toll though with all the salt, she's gonna need a full hit on the bodywork next summer...

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i use my car daily, it does about 5k a year at most!

12. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

I also use my mk2 daily which has got 74k and in the last 3 years I've only put about 6k on it

13. mexicorich Forum Member

What could be more reliable than a Mk2 Golf :-)
    My beloved Mk2 hasn't been in use for some time due to a stupid unreliable modern diesel thing being in use but my Mk1 Cab is still used daily for six months of the year and has now covered 320k miles :-)

14. richard ing New Member

Hi, i own a mk2 golf gti 1989 with only 82k on it, it still puts a smile on my face everyday, but i still like to jump into my mk4 gt tdi 150 for long journeys

15. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

I have an '85 K-Jet car that is currently covering 500 miles a week

16. mk216vrick Forum Member

i have just sold my B4 Passat to climb back into a mk2 16v, and either i forgot how thirsty they are or mine needs setting up.
    i forgot how much road noise they transmit, the wind noise when on motor way but the smile has returned to my face and i think of an excuse to go out to drive it!!

17. Matt48 Forum Member

30 miles a day 12k a year for 10 yrs

18. Just Jo Forum Member

:lol::thumbup:
    mines a little rusty, just had wings replaced and swapped to big bumpers...265k on it too and still going good!
    seats same as yours smokes a little and can be bit rattly on start when cold but i love it to bits!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  19. Just Jo Forum Member

daily driver, 265k and dont have any serious trouble