will this reduce my premium?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Collie, Nov 14, 2010.

1. andyrob New Member

Never mind mate, traders policy no good for you???

My mate has one as a 'part time valeter' to allow him to drive 'customers' cars.

It also means he gets his BMW M5, saph Cosworth, pug 205 Mi16, and derv Cavalier winter hack insured for around 800 a year. And thats without having to provide any bills/ reciepts/ books etc

2. Admin Guest

but what happens when he does have a smash? just how covered is he?

3. andyrob New Member

Dunno, if he's part time whos to say how much he actually earns from it - eg whether he would have any amount of reciepts/ invoices to prove his claim to being a valeter-

4. Admin Guest

its a big risk tbh.

I've been in the right with an insurnace company whilst making a claim and they were looking to back out of it for the smallest of reasons. Turned out both parties involved were insured by the same company.
    Hassle no one needs. for the sake of a few quid I wouldn't take the chance.

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Normally trade policies have a capped pay-out clause. 2000 rings a bell. So they will only really pay out for minor/middling knocks, and if you write it off, you`ll only get 2000 back...

Unlimited for third party claims though, IIRC.

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I have trade cover and its a max of 5k pay out per car with a max of 10cars, cost me 840quid a year and Iv made pretty good use of it, have 3 personal cars on it atm, thou the cabby gets its own fixed valuation insurance as book value is like 50p and its worth a few quid.

On the other note about going tpft instead of fully comp, I did this to save myself a massive 60quid on my old pug 306td, I then crashed into a MX5 that was spinning out on the motorway, goes down as my fault and my insurance obviously had to pay out but I dont get a bean, infact I had to pay 200quid to get the car taken off the motoway and loose 2k on my car, I will never ever go tpft again.

7. 2.0 MK2 Forum Member

stick with fully comp, but get the price down, or if they aren't interested just go elsewhere. (i'm paying less than that for a vx220 turbo, which is group 19 i think - 28 with 6 years ncb).

haggle!

8. Collie Forum Junkie

ive had a ring aroun and 491 is the best i can do, performance direct wanted 900 quid ouch.

i wouldnt mind if the car was fast a mk4 with a remap is still hardly a racing car

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Post codes have everything to do with it you know.

10. clart Forum Member

So he should move house to save 100 quid on car insurance? Is that what your saying?

11. Collie Forum Junkie

i do have a bad post code but tpft surely still takes this into account

12. Mike Oxawhopper Forum Member

i got a quote the other day, well a few actually. it was cheaper for me to go fully comp