Wilwood 4-pot brakes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by steve r, Feb 2, 2004.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

TBH, you should be fine performance-wise with 280s/4 pots.

On top of that, it's just how far you want to go.

3. altern8 Forum Junkie

Cheers :)

Just found these too hi spec

4. ee00jcb Forum Member

Hi spec seemed expensive, I tried to call them a while ago and got no reply so I tried email and still no reply...lost me as a customer!

Rally Design were very helpful though and a better price for the Wilwoods and fittings.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Do Rally Design supply ready to fit brackets for the Wilwoods now?

(Hi Spec used to do them and Rally Design would point you in Hi Spec's direction, but I think HiSpec stopped doing Wilwood brackets after they commenced making their own calipers)

6. ee00jcb Forum Member

I belive so, I phoned them a couple of weeks ago and they implied they had them as a "bolt on" kit

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

its 480 +vat for that kit [:$]

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hmmm, the calipers should be about 120 each?

The rest??

9. ee00jcb Forum Member

280mm 4 pots from wilwood - calipers 399 pads 49.50 I think you also require new hoses as the fittings are different.

Hi spec were 480 plus pads at about 50 and I think these also require different hoses (not sure though).

once vat is added makes hi-spec seem much more expensive.

I think the extra cost is because the kits contain the discs and hopfully carriers. Both kits seem like good value to me.

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

what is the rest of the money spend on then if the callipers only cost 240 [:$]

Does anyone know what pads can be used on both setup?

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Which exact calipers are they?

Hoses etc cost little, but not that much.

12. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

hi-spec lost my prospective business when they didn't reply to three different emails...

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

one of the guys off cupranet used to work at hispec - says they never answer emails, only way is to call them.

480+vat for a 280mm wilwood kit - well, 240 for calipers, 100 for disks and 100 for brackets and hardware, sounds about right to me. Need to add ontop pads and hoses - hoses are approx 15 apiece, pads 50-100 depending on what you get. Wilwood stuff should be attractive pricewise presently as its from USA, strong pound etc.

If these are the new wilwood midlite, caution...there are not many types of pad available yet as its a new caliper.

In process of getting some new brakes myself - wilwood is good stuff IMO, good value, AP's and Alcon's are better no doubt but they are also 4x the price. Likely I will get some hispecs I think as they will make 'special' adaptor brackets for you and what I need is not a std fitment.

Cheers

Rob

14. prof Forum Addict

check out aw tracksport they have a range of 4 pots that like 15" wheels. see if you can get a ferodo ds2500 pad, f**kin ace pads, or with those mad wheels you may be able to stuff the seat ibiza brembos under them.

Think designadubs are the cheapest supplier for the seat stuff

15. altern8 Forum Junkie

the aw ones seem ok but it dont say how much they are i priced up the brembos they have gone up to about 700 for the kit thats way over budget for me [:^(]

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Bear in mind that there will be a wait - several stories of this, so a new bracket design will guarantee this.

17. altern8 Forum Junkie

can we get the wilwood kits from anyone other then rally design

would it be cheaper in the states ?

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

RD were the cheapest by miles on Wilwoods when I last bought some in '03. Miles cheaper than DT, so they are your source.

Right, bored of this kit business! [:x] :lol:

Tell them to shove their high priced plud-and-play bolt on kit.

Buy two calipers, two brackets for a 280 conversion, and ask them how much they want for hoses, bearing in mind alternative hose suppliers are Think Automotive for a start. Wilwood have imperial, conical hose fitments, so you need to get two of those from your supplier for the caliper outlets.

Tell them they can keep the discs ("I've already got those") and run off to GSF and buy a replacement plain set - cheap as.

That's your kit done and should be way cheaper.

If you warp the GSF discs, then it's time to get some grooved ones, and invest time on cool down laps.

19. altern8 Forum Junkie

so i need 2 of these calipers will they know what ones i need for a mk1

link

are the lug mounts for a mk1 76mm

also you mentioned pad choice do you know what pads are out there for that caliper ?

prof mentioned the ferodo ds2500 pads are they really that good [:D]

I thought that g60 disks were 280x22mm wide is that right [:$]

Thanks for the good info so far

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

3 weeks I have been told - so that means 6 minimum, feckin tuners, most
    of em are complete donkeys who are rude, have no customer service ethic
    and I wish I never had to deal with them - totally brasses me off,
    sometimes I feel like chucking the towel in and doing something else - 6
    weeks to get an ARB from Impossible performance (UK abd dealers),
    never return calls, dont know the products they are
    selling, took their money 4 weeks ago but still I have no arb - tomorrow