Winter tyres lead to queries over invalidating insurance!!!

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by A.N. Other, Nov 2, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

2. Admin Guest

:lol: I thought sod it......I fitted all season tyres (mud and snow rated), I'd argue in court if it came to a claim but after last winter there was no way I'd be using summer tyres.

It's about time we had some common sense with all this after all the accidents and slipping around last winter. Winter tyres should be compulsory.

Anyway the rate I'm going I won't even be able to afford fuel so I'll be staying in the warm.....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

insanity..

4. Admin Guest

this.

so if you were to really go over it with a fine tooth comb, would you tell your insurance company that you are no longer using the same tyre manufacturer that the car was supplied on?

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I thought it was the Issue of swapping wheels not tyres, for example BMW will currently supply you with a set of steel wheels with winter tyres for x amount. I haven't clicked the link thou I just read it elsewhere with a discussion of it effecting insurance.

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

:lol: Sounds like the advice I was given from a tyre supplier when I opted for a different speed rating (V over Z) as it was 10 a tyre cheaper. The chap said by opting for a lower speed rating I risk invalidating my insurance as the tyre rating recommended was Z not V. :lol:

However I checked this out with my insurance company and they laughed when I told them this and said they said it makes no difference as long as the tyres are road worthy and legal that's all they care.

The only come back would be if you fitted tyres of the wrong size and load rating that then could be deemed as a key factor if an accident occured.

My winter tyres are waiting to go on and nothing will stop that :)

7. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I had this with some tyres for a Jag as they were more expensive - the only difference was the higher speed rating and the guy refused to put them on as he said it'll invalidate the insurance. [:s]

8. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I swear by winter tyres now after running Avon winter tyres on our Toledo. I've just had a set of Avon winter tyres arrive for the van, too. So both I and the wife will have winters on our daily vehicles.

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Are all seasons any good? Gotta fit some new shoes to Dad's BMW so just wondering...

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

11. Admin Guest

I fitted Vredestein Quatrac 3 they are a V rated tyre and I've found them superb. They're only 65.20 from mytyres.co.uk

12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Great. Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

Gurds

13. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

Mine arrived tonight! :thumbup:
    195/50/15 v rated. Same as the existing fitment, so definitely no insurance issues.

Finding winter tyres in v rating without paying through the nose is difficult though, most winter tyres that are available are lower rated. The winter tyres I've got are 'only' rated to 119mph, an unlikely speed to drive on UK roads nowadays!

14. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

On average, we are fitting four sets of winter wheels and tyre packages a day at the moment...nothing has been mentioned about insurance!?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  15. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

Bridgestone A001 All Season tyres 205 55 16 VR rated on the A3 now, just as good grip as michelin in the dry 80 each from Mytyres 3 months ago. Same Tread pattern as Blizzak LM-25 (Winter tyre)

16. jamesa Forum Junkie

For Winter tyres .. my experience also, I use LV and they are an excellent company to work with

Me too, plus the daughters` Golfs`

17. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Well worth befriending some Polish people, mate of a mate is bringing them in by the truck load, branded makes from 20 a corner!

18. aidanb22 Forum Member

Just replaced the awful autograss tyres on the other halfs mx5 winter wheels, 4x part worn winters in 185/65/14 for 80 fitted, can't complain at that

19. azur Forum Member

Just brought a set of summer tyres for my Spec B.

Can't be arsed with winter tyres... i am yet to drive in less than 7 degree temps this autumn.

Summer tyres x AWD = ungraceful but steady progress in snow - more than adequate grip when cold.

The only issues is breaking distances which are pretty awfull on summer tyres in ice/snow. Just have to use the gears more.

20. mk2vivs Forum Member

got my g60 steels on with michelin alpin's and i think they are a must for winter!!loads of extra grip.