winter tyres

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by afbiker02, Sep 30, 2014.

1. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Nothing useful to add but a little hijack ;)

Is your car currently on 195/50 R15 on 6.5" wide rims? If so could you put up a picture or two of the car taken from the side?

Cheers :)

2. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Will these do or would you like a wider shot?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. coullstar Forum Member

Main brands are all good. Ive treid Avon, Toyo, Vredsteins, Continental and last winter Pirelli Sottozeros. The Continentals and Pirelli's were very good in the snow and also very good with greasy/wet tarmac. That was 255 wide rear wheels on the Beemer so dont worry to much about getting as skinny as possible.

4. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I have been switching over to second set of wheels and winter tyres since the bad winters we had a few years back, and really have not looked back.

Been very impressed with the michelin alpin rubber I put on the XJ8 which are also 225 wide no problem at all. The thin tyre idea is not really that applicable if you are running true winter tyres as it is the tread and compound that are actually designed to work in low temps.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

theres 2 things with winter tyres, yes the compounds need to be different for colder temps but no matter what you have it wont help you if you're floating about on top of the snow, a thinner tyre helps the tire cut thru the snow to hard ground underneath:
    http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126

not that 185 will make much difference to a 195 I guess, just every little helps I suppose. Maybe try phoning tire stockists in deepest darkest Canadia or Alaskadia :lol:

6. oldnick

Wide shot please, just wondering what your setup looks like on a mk2 as I'll have to buy tyres one day :)

Cheers

afbiker02 likes this.
  7. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Just for comparison these are the summer v winter tyres I had on the mk2 two winters ago. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

the winters are Dunlop Winter Sport 3D did not get much chance to try them on any real snow but they were a fair bit better in the rain ;)

afbiker02 likes this.
  8. afbiker02

How are these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oldnick likes this.
  9. oldnick

Great, proper looking fit of tyre and wheel :)

Basically I don't want to it look either stretched or balloon tyred, and to work on our great British roads!

afbiker02 likes this.
  10. oldnick

Whilst I'm riding my luck lets see a whole car shot from side on, a small bumper 3 door with a reasonable drop on that size of wheel and tyre - I might as well see what the thing will look like when it eventually gets back on the road!

Thanks in advance :)

Ps very jealous of the double garage lol

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I had some of those Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds on my Bora a few years back and they were just amazing not only in the snow, but in the cold/wet/leaf gunge that we get here. Never got stuck in some very deep snow. Bought the 3Ds as they came top of the American Tire rack winter tyre surveys at the time.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C

So when I swapped my Bora for my A6, got some Falken EuroWinter HS439 tyres on some spare rims (good price at the time) and they too have been fantastic, so much more grip everywhere when the temperature starts to drop.

[​IMG]

Would not hesitate getting winter tyres ever again now I've tried em. Massive safety benefit even without lots of snow. The 'performance winter' class of tyres are more about cold temps and ice anyhow, much more like what we get in UK rather than deep snow.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  12. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I love the idea of winter tyres except for having more grip than cars around me. I've had someone run into the back of me on ice because I was forced to tuck it into the nearside curb as some idiot decided to drop someone off at work by stopping in the middle of the road before the turn in.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

better to be crashed into than crash yourself though surely?

14. Finite

In that case I probably would not of hit the car in front, but I didn't want to try my luck at 5:30am. It wasn't a good situation without going into too much detail.

On the other hand travelling to a job out in the sticks I was once caught out by an unexpected a pocket of black ice on a downhill left hander which meant even at low speed I gently drifted across the white line. This was pre sat navs otherwise I might of noticed there was a huge temperature sinking body of water coming up. That could of been life threatening.

15. afbiker02

Here you go oldnick
    [​IMG]

oldnick likes this.
  16. oldnick

Cheers afb2, looks spot on :)

Thanks again

17. Finite

For where I am in the UK I'm thinking all season tyres might be better for the winter with a bigger temperature window than pure winter tyres. Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons seem like a good choice. My vintage Eagles seem to be falling off the cliff at less than 10C now or slightly more in the wet, but were fine again with the mild near 20C temps on Sunday.

18. babbe Forum Member

That isnt really true toady. toadys tires are made to get the moste traction of the surface they are on. an unstuded tire got better traction on the pure snow then to dig down to the ice and start spining.
    As you dont use studs there are no one that scratches the ice, the unstuded tires will only polish the ice.

19. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    So speaks a man who should know a thing or two about the subject lol

Is it snowing yet in Sweden ???

20. babbe Forum Member

hehe. my father sold tires most of his life.

in the north its snowing, im from the far south. our weather looks more like yours with alot of flash ice and less snow.