Wiring issue

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by richie_gti, Apr 11, 2012.

1. richie_gti Forum Member

Yesterday I went to take the golf out of the garage. Turned the key to last position where lights on dash come on and I heard a relay ticking over on and off quite rapidly. I know it's not the fuel pump relay as I have my own little circuit for that and that was working fine

The car starts and runs but this relay is constant however if the cars running and you turn the side lights on the relay slows down a little if main lights are on it stops but if you put the heater switch on the relay goes nuts I can't for the love of me figure it out. Oh and with this problem it's also stopped the indicators flashing they just stay on if u use them does anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

What year is the car / fusebox ?

It is possibly the Relief Relay (J59) as this is linked to all the items that you mention.

On my `82` GTI J59 is the first relay from the LEFT on the bottom row ... put your finger on it to `feel` the clicking.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. richie_gti Forum Member

Cars a x reg. late 81 I think but has the old type fuses

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

I also have the ceramic (old) fuses) ...

Relief relay shown as mentioned previously, above fuse no. 4

[​IMG]

5. richie_gti Forum Member

That's silver relay is the one that's clicking

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

OK ... part number should be 171 937 503 and rated at 40A, this however is no longer current ;) but having just called my friendly local dealer parts man ... is available as 4H0 951 253A @ 11.80 ... with a stock level of 187 units at Milton Keynes !

Before you purchase try and check that you are getting the same `pin` sizes as your existing item, my relay has all four `pins` as ~ 6mm whereas others come with the 30 and 87 `pins` as 10mm (I know ... as I have two here to prove it [8(])

Alternatively, try Maplins for http://www.maplin.co.uk/40a-relay-for-automotive-applications-6436 at half the price.

Apologies for the essay :lol:

Update:

The Maplins item is a 5 pin and NOT the required 4 pin - I only discovered once I opened the package however they did provide a full refund :thumbup:

I have corrected the VW part number above and just collected one @ 13.42 [8(] :lol:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. richie_gti Forum Member

Thanks will give it a try tomorrow as well as replace the hazard light switch which someone else has told me it might be on mk1oc

8. jamesa Forum Junkie

Good luck ...

Let us know the outcome please.

9. richie_gti Forum Member

Will do I'm hoping it's just that

10. richie_gti Forum Member

just had a quick lool at a friend haynes manual and in it it says this is a rear window heater

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

You mean the relay ^ ? ... I can assure you that in mine it is not !

If you consider that it is in yours, remove it and then switch on your HRW ... if you have one.

Do you know what all your relays and fuses relate to ?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  12. richie_gti Forum Member

yes.
    i was only saying thats what it says in the haynes ive not got a clue what any of them are cause mine has some kr wiring thrown in there aswell

13. jamesa Forum Junkie

OK ...

Is your car is an original GTI ?

I see that you are looking at page 9.10 14.6b ... that is not for a GTI relative to A & B.

I can see in Haynes 0726 where J9 is nominated as the HRW relay but it is not included in the wiring diagram for an `81` GTI on pages 13.49 / 50 / 51.

My original Mk1 GTI runs a 16v (9A) with the KR ECU & wiring, it does not affect the fusebox layout though.

How can I try and help you further ?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  14. richie_gti Forum Member

ok thanks for help i think its an original gti.

going to try and get the relay tomorrow from maplin i got my fuel pump relay from there.

when it comes to electrics its a bit confusing for me im a machinist by trade got put off by them at an early time

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it does actually power the rear screen heater, but it also powers the lights, blower, wipers etc. it is switched off when the engien is cranking to reduce voltage drain on the battery so max pooowweeeer goes to the starter.

a mk1/2/3 17 or 18 relay will work in its palce. dont use a std switched relay as the terminal legs arnt big enough

16. richie_gti Forum Member

Got the same relay from napkin gonna try it after me tea :-)

17. richie_gti Forum Member

18. richie_gti Forum Member

Right just had 5mins on it changed relay over put ignition on 3 position and it's silent. So tried indicators they just stayed on didn't flash. heater switch no noise tried headlight switch and now there's a kind of buzzing noise turn lights off and it stops any ideas?

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the relay pins match the old one. as i say std relay pins arnt big enough!

try wiggling the relay in the socket with the ignition on and the wipers switched on, sometimes they just make poor contact

20. richie_gti Forum Member

Right took relay out and lights indicators work heaters and wipers dont