Wiring up Armoured Cables - Advise Please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dave, Nov 12, 2010.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

My mortgage, taken out 8 years ago, demanded an inspection and sign-off by an electrician - he signed it off right there in the pub for 20, and told me just not to set the place on fire.
    And I have been true to my word! Mostly.[:$]

2. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

That's the barn end wired up!

[​IMG]

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

I don't think the Neutral is allowed to be uncovered like that, because if you loose your N at the main fuse box, the N in the pic will then be potentially at Live potential.

Why not use crimps on all the cables and shrouded connectors on that silver DIN rail for the Ns and Ls? Like these:

DIN rail connectors

4. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Mark. I don't have any crimp terminals other than male and female spades!

Anyways up. I recon. that the good old fashioned way of looping the ends of the flex. and soldering solid, is far superior!:thumbup:

[​IMG]

I still have some Grey painting to do. I love Grey!

[​IMG]

Why the flipping heck, f....eck, can't MK make all of the plastic parts the same colour![:x]

And. Why aren't the screws on the socket box black as well![:x]

[​IMG]

I ran out of daylight to finish the job!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`m helping a friend do up her recently purchased house. It`s ex-local authority so you`d expect everything to be up to `code` electrics-wise...far from it!

I was fitting a new light and pull-switch in the bathroom the other day, so was in the loft sorting out wire routing (it was a new ceiling I`d put in), and was fairly shocked by what I found;

The main C+E up from consumer unit in the kitchen below had been chopped to splice in the original light, and a T+E loop for the switch. Cores were just twisted together, earth was unsheathed, and there was not even any insulation tape around it... :o

Further on there was another break that had just been twisted together in the same manner. I removed it altogether because I thought it was a splice to a now de-funct light, but it turned out to be a continuation of the main lighting ring...why it had been chopped then re-connected like that is a mystery.

To think all these bare wires were just sitting there with scabby old loft insulation covering them...shudder to think of the implications. Glad she asked for a new light to put in or it never have been discovered.

Anyway, a quick trip to B&Q and a couple of MK through-boxes have tidied it up a treat. :thumbup:

Now I`m not a qualified electrician, but I know it`s been done right now, and would pass any inspection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  6. sims14 New Member