work begins, the search for rust! - mk1

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Tim, Mar 29, 2005.

1. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

after fitting my new rad to my mk2, i then thought it was time to get to gips with my mk1,

knowing that the'cloud'roof leaks i wanted to seewhatgremlins were waiting for me under the carpet and soundeadening / underlay, went on a bit of amission and stripped every thing out bar the top half of the dash:

ok here goes:

there is an interesting selction of wiringgoing on, shrink rapped, taped,glued all sorts: wires from nowhere to nowhere! etc - but iguess that expected when the cars 20years young;

[​IMG]

any idea what / wherethese bulbs are for?

[​IMG]

source of ignition problems - constant power to wipers/fan/lights etc?

[​IMG]

any ideas what this could be for/from?

[​IMG]

besting wires gauge wires etc....

[​IMG]

redundant imobiliser! been chopped before i took it out!?

[​IMG]

rite enough of the wireing now on to rust!

is this reparable? can see daylight through when pushing down on floor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

carpets and underlay have been holding water [8(]doessnt seem to be too bad though? could get it patched up?

[​IMG]

history of the car:

any ideas?

[​IMG]

had a welded in subframe as some point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cage?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bolt for harnesses?

[​IMG]

ther are also a mixture of random holes (man made) on the floor, from various seats etc?! think i will get them filled/welded over to stop water getting in, along with the ones on the rear arches as water can get in there too!

few strange things / problems too:

bodged together gas pedal/cable:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the clutch has also pulled through the bluk head, [8(]but i guess this was a while ago, as there is now a plate fitted in the engine bay!

[​IMG]

very soggy sound deadening!

[​IMG]

the pile!

[​IMG]

its now all pilled back in the car, boxed and labled all the bolts etc that i have taken out, all nice and neat!

im quite pleased with the condition of it inside to be honest, i was expecting it to be much worse, but worried about the wheel well, but thats about it,

sorry for the long post/ number of pics!

tim
    Edited by: Tim

2. S-J-J New Member

Don't you just love sorting out 8 previous owners' worth of electrical 'additions'...

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

loving it, [8(]

engine conversion doesnt help either!

extra gauges, bulbs/leds, sterios, beesting, imobiliser, and numerous wires going to nowhere have been found so far,[8(]

tim

4. enc. Forum Member

Wheel well isn't much of a problem really. Any competent welder could sort that.

I'm wondering WTF this is

[​IMG]

And whats happened to it!

If i remember correctly the car looked pretty much mint when you first post pictures off it. surprised to see some of the bodges above [:s]

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh [8(]

does acctually look worse in that pic than it is, looks as if somthing was bolted to it (see hole) and the have pulled at it and bent it? levered what ever was bolted there!?

i dunno im going to trya and straighten it out a bit ifi can,

tim

6. greg s Forum Member

More bodges than mine. :o

7. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

all good fun [:D]ive got to learn some how!

its rewarding sorting things like this out i find, [:$]

tim

8. Dave J Forum Member

At least it has given you something to do! It would be boring if you bought a car that needed nothing... :lol:

9. Rahul Forum Junkie

bloody hell!

That must p1ss you off tho Tim.......didnt you check the obvious before hand?

Thankfully with all the carpet pulled up, my mk1 is mint and rust free! :) for now!

10. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

yeh, i knew about the floor of the boot, but its got worse over the past month or so while ive been at uni, going to get it sorted asap though,

tim

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

looks like the wiring to the ignition switch has been messed with a bit,half of it looks like where the wiring from the old immobiliser has been.
    could be causing problems!

looks like you just need a new throttle cable too,maybe its been modded for the carbs for some reason,i used the original.
    if the rubber grommet on the pedal is worn,you cant get them for mk1's but the mk2 one fits,gsf sell them.

spare wheel well should be an easy enough repair for a good welder.

neil. :)

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Lots of bolt holes through critical areas that are prone to rust Tim. Not good. Patch em, grind em and seal em.

13. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Not too bad Tim -

As above weld up the holes - buff off sealer where water has been lying - just in case..
    My wheel well was exactly the same - very easy to fix - we done it in about 30 minutes - cut out rusty bit and shape new steel and weld in! It rots there as the wee flap from the back panel meets the tank there and the crud lies in there and rots the steel through.

Also get a hide hammer - GREAT! you can hammer and bang and re shape bent steel. only a couple of quid.

Also bulkhead clutch damage is very easy to fix with new metal and welder

14. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

i cannot weld so will have to get some one to do it,

whats the best thing to do - prepare the area i.e clean it up to bare metal ready for a plate to be welded on? or should i let the welder do it?

plate on the inside not the out?

this is the area im most bothered about:

[​IMG]

water has been sitting there, and i can lift the underseal, there is also a small hole there, what should i do, strip off all the under seal around it if i can, see what i find? then plate it up?

tim

15. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Tim the more prep you can do the quicker and therefore cheaper it will be for the welder..

anywhere you see rusty marks get the sealer lifted - heat gun and scraper (it comes off easy enuff) then clean the residue with thinners or petrol...

Round the wheel well prob best to part the wee flap from the wheel well then just buff that back part to see how bad the rust is - don't worry about the flap the welder can bridge this again with new metal... probably going to be easier to cut from the inside and weld in new metal from the inside - therefore clear a good area of sealer (sealer burns really well)from the wel.

and don't bring any old panels with you - welders hate that - they will have the right guage steel for the job.
    Hope this ramble helps.. :p

16. jettadan Forum Member

The bulbs in the picture are the ones for the cigarette lighter and ashtray and the heater control panel. The black connector pictured close to the fusebox looks like a stereo connector - a picture end-one would confirm this. Definately had a cage in there, and i'd guess you are right about the bolt through the floorpan being for harnesses. Good luck!

17. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

no, the black thing is a relay, (same kinda thing i used in an uprated light loom)

cheers,

now all i need is someone to come and weld it all up?! do you recon ill be able to get some one to come to me, as opposed to me going to them, my car is sorned,

tim

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Anythings possible if you wave enough cash about mate. Might be time to learn how to weld.

19. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

not sure i want to start practising on a (nearly)mint mk1, mat of mines dad works for BOC i might ask him,

any ideas on cost?

tim

20. Claypole Forum Junkie

I'd say from the shape and that hole that they hammered that box section because the cage wouldn't fit? :clap: [xx(]