Worst car you ever drove

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by enc., Oct 31, 2008.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Even though i though the kia pride and original micra were terrible, the worst, most disappointing and incredibly frustrating car ever has to be

The original 'Smart' car.

God they are ****ing dismal, pathetic things. I just don't know where to start when describing their utter crapness. Everything is horrible from the interior plastics to the way they handle.

At least with a lada you know its going to be ****, but its honest, truthful **** . The smart Is just a bag of lies. I hope they all spontaneously combust with their generally smug idiot drivers inside them.

aaaaannnnnnnddd breeeeaaaaath.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Not to defend them, but they were never billed as a well-handling sports car...just an in-town runaround where comfort is more of a priority. Still wouldn`t be seen dead in one mind... :lol:

Now...if you were talking about the Smart Roadster...

3. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

true enough i suppose, but the fact it was as bad as it was genuinely shocked me- I'd expected something that was perky and darty for nipping about in but all i got was understeer, a lifeless chassis and that flipping awful gearbox.

As for comfort.....i've been in lowered cars that rode better :lol:. Seriously, other than fitting into small parking spots i can't think of a single thing they do well.

The fact i had the company smart for a few weekends, live close to the alps and still left it parked outside for the entire time speaks volumes. The little fiesta on the other hand didn't escape such a thrashing [:D]

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

brand new peugeot 308, they have fleet of them at work and tbf they are crap!

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

oh god the smart cars are terrible, I had one as a pizza delivery car when working for pizza hut, tap the gearstick to change from 1st to 2nd....nothing happens....do it again.....still nothing...and again....suddenly your in 4th gear, ahhhh I hated them, plus I really felt like rolling it over was an easy possibility.

6. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

yaris 1.0 engine sounds like from a moped

7. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Worst car for me was my 1st car a brown fiesta 1.0l it was only running on 3 cylinders and i could only get 40mph out of it on a good day [xx(] However that was after 6 months of abuse :lol:

My LDV Pilot or (Sherpa) van is shocking :lol: slow, handles like a boat and the brakes are made of cheese.
    It never fails to start even when its left for weeks (touch wood) despite all this i still love the comedy factor of driving it.

8. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Ford Cortina Mk3 1300cc company car.

I was forced to drive this for a year, 'till it finally expired. It was too big, too heavy, too slow and too unreliable. It was also butt ugly. It was so bad, I spent more time driving hire cars than the Cortina. Two replacement heads, one gearbox, one back axle. I hated it so much I used to rev the balls off it, and practice clutchless gear changes. In my job I had to drive hundreds of miles a day. No wonder I was always knackered.

At least it wasn't a Capri. That would have been the pitts.

Best hire car was the Morris Marina 1.8 TC. I used to drop the Cortina off at Harrisons, in Rotherham, and nip across the road to the BMC dealer, and hire the Marina. Tried an MGB GT once. Not as good as the Marina!

9. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

With out a doubt this heap of 5hit.

By far the most horrible "car" i have ever driven. Crap in every sense. It was like driving something from the 1950's. Only cars then had better brakes.

[​IMG]

10. benny Forum Member

How dare you! Instant ban from the forum! :lol:

11. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

I had the misfortune of owning one about 10 years ago so i think im allowed to speak my mind on this one.

Non servo brakes that barely did a thing. Horrible snatchy little engine. A gearbox that was similar to trying to stab a floating turd in a toliet to select a gear. Then there was just the whole look of the miserable thing.

Oh and i almost forgot the driving position which is only suitable for a monkey.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  12. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

have actually sprayed coffee out while laughing at that

can't be s bad as austin metro gear selection.. widdly vague.. but somehow didn't mind

13. benny Forum Member

To each their own I guess. I loved my Polo back in the day! I guess I'm good at making good things of a bad situation :lol:

14. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Had a 1980 Polo GLS. Brilliant little car. 1100cc and thrashed it all over the place. I set up the brakes properly, and it stopped. Handled like a dream. Good road holding on Mk1 Gti wheels with Bridgestone B530s.

Only took it off the road when I dropped a 4m scaffold pole on it, and flattened the roof!

15. nealey Forum Junkie

I am of the same opinion, i drove a bright yellow one a few months back and was expecting something fun to throw around. I was also met with the same disappointment

16. Phat Ass Forum Member

Rover 214, not the round shape either, the older one from god knows when. Barely fit in the damn thing. seat all the way back still put my knees closer to my hands than the steering wheel.

Drove like a barge all the get up and go it might have once had, had got up and gone, presumably in disgust. Borrowed that for a few days and can happily say the best thing about it was that it kept the rain off and got to and from work. Barely.

17. vidfletch Forum Member

A few Volvo 340s, say no more, a Renault 11 that felt like it was on stilts going round corners and a Ford Orion Diesel (not turbo) which only wanted to go in a straight line and didn't know what corners were!

18. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

I think it was a Rover 216 16v, nearly killed us