WTF is this horrible noise - vid

Discussion in 'Engines' started by I V - mk1 16v, May 22, 2006.

1. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Okay peeps, this horrible noise is driving me mad!!![:x] [:^(] [:x] [:^(]

Very long post warning!![:$]

See Vids below, I've had it for about 2000miles, 4 trackdays and 2 box rebuild's!!
    It's a 2l abf with a 020 box with peloquin diff, lightened flywheel, helix sprung friction disc and balanced standard 16v pressure plate.

It's quite a loud rattly/knocking noise at tickover when stationery, increases in frequency and volume when you rev the car, but stop's when you dip the clutch.

On the move it's very loud and to be heard in every gear when you shut or hold a steady throttle, not sure it it goes when you accelerate or you just can't hear it? Disappears the moment you dip the clutch to or below the biting point.

Okay since it started i think it has got louder, now definately but i have just got rid of the internal soundproofing. Martin (Hotgolf) has very kindly rebuilt the box twice for me and is absolutely certain (as am i) that the box is A okay. The pressure plate and friction disc have no loose bits, the flywheel and pressure plate to crankshaft bolts are all tight and i have replaced the little push plate and spring with a new VAG one. Martin thinks the noise is coming from the little push disc rattlying against the pressure plate as there was a couple of mm of play between the two, but i have looked at a brand new sachs clutch kit and that is exactly the same, so i'm not so sure. Don't really know what else it could be, Crankshaft main bearings????

turn up the volume!

The noise seems to be coming from the 5th gear end of the box??
    Vid 1 stationery (1.6MB)
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ianvant/?action=view&current=stationeryhorriblenoise.flv

Vid 2 moving (2.3MB)
    you can hear the noise most when i come off the throttle, the noise stops as soon as i drop the cltuch even if i hold the revs at the same spped or rev it up with the clutch dipped.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ianvant/?action=view&current=movinghorriblenoise.flv

lastly vid 3 (1MB) back at home with the front jacked upwith me under it and lou in the car, holds the revs at about 3 grand and dips the clutch 3 times, then revs it up a couple of times with the clutch up and down.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v221/ianvant/?action=view&current=jackedhorribenoise.flv

Thanks for taking the time to read this and watch the vids, this is really driving me crackers and i'm off to the ring/spa this weekend and still concerned it's going to blow up!

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

We'd better pack the tow rope.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  3. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Very useful input cheers!

That said i might actually chuck in the rigid tow rod i've got.

4. mk1. Forum Junkie

sounds box relatated to me but its difficult to pinpoint from a computer screen[:s]

5. GVK

Mine had a similar noise recently, but that could have been my engine[:^(]

It wasn't as loud as yours, but your lack of soundproofing wouldn't help.[:^(]

You said you'd checked to see if bottom pulley was moving when clutch depressed didn't you?

Get a lever behind the pulley to make sure there's no end float in the crank.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  6. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Okay G, i'll try that tomorrow, should there be any movement at all?

7. GVK

I think up to 0.4mm , which you'll have difficulty measuring unless you have a DTI gauge !

I seem to remember Matt D's having about 3mm when his centre main bearings went , could move it in and out by hand!

8. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Won't need a gauge, 0.4mm is exactly between a gnat's cock and a smidge!;)

9. GVK

..... on the finchy-o-meter

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

how sure are you its not a busted clutch ?

11. amity498 Forum Member

what ever it is DONT DRIVE IT

12. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Busted how Rob?? It all seemed okay!

Amity it's hasn't blown in 4 trackdays and a couple of thousand miles, so she'll be right!! Anyway at least if it does blow then i'll know whats wrong!:lol:

13. GVK

Ian, did you replace the pressure plate when you fitted the Helix clutch?

14. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

nope, i used the one mart balanced with the flywheel, it's a old one but all the straps seem to be tight and there is no slippage.

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

just thinking through it - it goes away when you put your foot on the clutch - so gearbox is disengaged - so first thoughts are gearbox....but you say its definately not this. Seems to be worse on the overrun and nothing happens if you rev the engine with the clutch depressed - sounds like broken spring/s in the friction plate to me or badly worn windows where the springs are held in - but if you have checked this then ?

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  16. GVK

I think you said that the noise seemed to be coming from the 4th/5th gear end of the box, as Mart said though the sound can travel along from the clutch as the pushrod passes through the input shaft which is supported by the brass/bronze bush at the clutch end.

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

and the pushrod goes right into the end of the box where 4th/5th is so that could figure

18. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

As Martin also mentioned that even when you dip the clutch when moving the gearbox will still be driven by the turning wheels so if the noise was from the box you would still hear it when depressing the clutch.

You also only need to just reach the biting point to make the noise stop.??

19. GVK

Wheels turn the diff which in turn drives the mainshaft, yep.

It's as though the noise is travelling along the input shaft from which ever way though.

I'd love to know the cause of it, it must drive you mad whilst driving it mate [:^(]

Two sets of ear plugs each for you and Lou this weekend I think!

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hmm!
    When the boxes were rebuilt was the pushrod changed? I assume the release bearing was at least. Perhaps remove the release bearing and pushrod, refit the cap and try again?

Maybe the release bearing erm... bit it sits in... I cant think of the word now :lol: is worn/oval??