WTF is this horrible noise - vid

Discussion in 'Engines' started by I V - mk1 16v, May 22, 2006.

1. amity498 Forum Member

I V - mk1 16v I guess thats one way to find out what the problem is :lol:

2. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Rubjonny, yep new clutch release bearing, but reused pushrod, it's straight and in the right way thou.

3. prof Forum Addict

flywheel bolts, like IanB?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Hmm, I'd still pull the bearing & input shaft out and run it, just to see if the noise stops. Bit of a pain though! I have a vague recolection reading that some pushrods are different lengths, or it may have been one of 'those' dreams that I have sometimes :lol:

I know that the pushrod in the spare 8v box I have is different to the one that was in my 16v box, and the spare I pinched from a MK3 GL. The 8v pushrod has a flared end on it so it wont come out through the release bearing end of the box, yet the MK3 & 16v one is the same length throughout.

5. TrackCab16v Forum Member

hi ian , i got a feeling i know what that is , on abf , on the end of the crank ther is i timeing pick up wheel , held on by three s hitty little bolts ,and they have proberly sheared off and its rattling around , wip your sump cover and ave a look paul

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

how would that stop when the clutch was pressed ?

7. TrackCab16v Forum Member

if your dipping clutch and throttling off at the same time the loose pick up plate wont,t spin so violently, as your crank speeds up so does the pick up plate , as its not secured , its banging the side of the crank ,thus makeing the rattle noises , just my own opinion rob

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You can't drive the car with the flywheel hanging off. I'm sure how many times Ian's had that flywheel off he would've noticed it being adrift - I hope! :p

9. Golden Forum Junkie

I can't think of anything as a one off, here are a few thoughts that you may be able to rule out due to changing parts.

Broken or loose 'finger' that operates the release bearing?
    Push rod bushes?
    Clutch operating disc circlip?
    Clutch operating disc centre rivet loose?
    Pressure plate spring fingers loose, broken?
    Centre plate springs loose/broken?
    Starter gear catching ring gear?
    Dust shields catching flywheel/ring gear?

Sorry this isn't much help.

10. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

yep, the flywheel bolts all all tight.

i'll look into that Paul, though like Rob said not sure that depressing the clutch would stop it.

As even if you rev it right up with the clutch depressed there is absolutely no noise but it reappears at any revs as soon as the clutch is back up.

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

fair point :) you does know y' motors

12. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Cheers for the reply golden.

finger is okay
    mart replaced the push rod bushes,
    new vag operating disc and spring,
    have checked pressure plate all seems okay
    starter and dustshields okay.
    [:^(]

Assuming it does not blow up at the ring or Spa, i think i'm going to have to remove box yet again and try replacing each part of the clutch one at a time.[xx(]

Is there any way i could start the engine with the gearbox off, maybe make a wooden spacer so i could bolt on the starter???????[:s]

13. TrackCab16v Forum Member

another opinion her ian . if you rev the engine clutch in ,the engine picks up real quick ,the crank won,t grip the loose timeing plate , as if cluch out especially steady road speed , the crank not spinning up agresivly then the loose timeing plate will grip the crank and rattle like feck , clean your oil pick up pipe as a exuse to have a look ,

14. TrackCab16v Forum Member

bear in mind if it has come loose ,you are slowly destroying your engine , i do hope i am wrong ,, paul

15. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

cheers paul i will have a look, but not before the ring, it's a right pain trying to get the sump back on by the bellhousing.

But i still can't see it thou, if you look at vid 3, it starts with lou holding a steady 3000 revs and then turning the noise 'on and off' with the clutch.

16. 82erGTI Forum Member

Feww, this seems to be a difficult one...[8-}]
    I'd say you need to search around the flywheel and clutch assembly, but i understand if you've checked it all over and over...
    How about with an empty gearbox ? (if you have a broken one lying around that can be gutted, like i do...)

17. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

I think i'm going to have to spend a weekend, taking the gearbox on and off trying different clutches and gearbox's until i can sort out whats the cause.

Has anybody in the SEish got a spare (ideally 8v) 020 gearbox laying around that i could borrow to try?????

18. 16valver Forum Member

Good luck in finding out what is causing this. I am very interested to find out as I think I have the same noise with my mk1 16v. I cant hear the vids as cant install flashplayer at work and do not have the internet at home.

If I let the clutch out even when reversing or in first, just where the clutch bites I can hear a kind of vibrating knocking noise but it does not sound like its coming from the gearbox. Sounds like coming from drivers side of the car[:s]

Is there any way I can view those vids without installing flashplayer Ian?

19. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

no i don't think so you'll have to download it. sorry. But i don't think yours is the same noise mine is there all the time and only goes when i depress the clutch.

20. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

This seems release bearing related to me?

Could the finger (pushing release bearing) be bent towards the green end cap causing some play when clutch is not engaged? They do snap now and again don't they?

That would possibly cause the release bearing to rattle back and forth in the slight play very quickly making the noise maybe?

Sommet along those lines anyway id think,or something loose/rattling more towards the clutch end which is vibrating through the push rod...

But it sounds like a definate something rattling in the end casing to me.

Neil.