xmas project..... NOT A VW

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by boostedgolf, Jan 6, 2008.

1. boostedgolf Forum Member

During these xmas holidays we started a little project which turned out a major car rebuild lol, anyway many of you will think its not worth the effort but this car was bought new by my father back in 1989 and during these 18 yrs of service the car never gave us any hassle so this is why we decided to take on this project.

The car has now been almost completley dismanteled. the shall is empty from the inside and if the parts supplier gives us a positive availability of engine rings, the engine will be taken out this week for a coplete rebuild. There is a great chance that my father will decide to port & polish the head & manifolds & run it on weeber or delorto carbs but its pending till now.

the rust rot found in the shall is mainly due to bad fabrication, because under the sheet seem sealer there is no paint.

its a 1989 lada samara 1300s 3 door hatchback single OHC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Uncle (panel beater) removing the screen & my father beside the bench

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. Cabby Dave Forum Member

My folks bought one new in 1989 as well. After they had sold there camper. Nutters.

3. Cabby Dave Forum Member

Oh, why btw?:lol:

4. boostedgolf Forum Member

what why Cabby Dave??

5. cocobay63 Forum Member

yeah im kinda asking the same question...... WHY ?

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

sorry to be so predictable...... but why? why? why?

That is possibly the most ugly, nasty car I have seen since looking on www.modifiedcarsforsale.com lol

I guesse it must have sentimental value, I would have given it a big send off personally, maybe banger racing or autograss it or something!!

Each to their own though tbf

7. boostedgolf Forum Member

well u predictaed everyone very well lol, but yes it has some sentimental value, & we did not wanted to sell it for something like 100 euros when it was still everything original & no nasty rust pools where found. The biggest thing that drived us to do this is because we are doing everything ourselves excluding some rust cutting done by my uncle. the above wrk was done just in 1 week, Possibly in the next 2-3 weeks it will be ready from spray.

its also a bit of fun between me & my father

8. Cabby Dave Forum Member

Sorry I thought you were in the UK. I heavent seen one on the road for a few years. Ours was an ok car, my brother bought it off my dad and ran it for a while. We had a Riva after ours!

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

Good for you ... have fun !

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

paint it lime green and chrome the three spoke wheels, you will be able to get about 5000 on www.modifiedcarsforsale.com

Nice healthy profit!!

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Can't see the problem with the car, you specified it wasn't a VW before we entered the thread so don't know why people are surprised, you did more body work to it than i could do myself so good luck with it & it's all practice time you can have before working on a VW.

12. Admin Guest

Good for you, I salute anyone who takes on a project like this and finishes it to a high standard - so best of look.

The VW Scirroco is a very ugly car, but I still love it [:$] . The MK3 Golf is another story conpletely, so don't get me started... [xx(]

13. AndrewF Forum Addict

Different....best of luck though.

14. lufbramatt Forum Member

cool little project! are these related to the mk2/3 polo in any way or just look a bit similar?

dont listen to the haters, uncool cars are cool ;)

keeping it stock or going all out with it? did you see the old lada they did on top gear a few years back? sent it to lotus and put a fiat twincam in it

15. Cabby Dave Forum Member

Huh? Are you blind or not seen one close up?!?

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

loved the scirroco's

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

stripped and race prep'd samara, imagine getting overtaken by that on a trackday!

18. boostedgolf Forum Member

We are going to give her a full re spray, the engine bitt is stil a bit unknown, my uncle had bought 1 with as and i dont know in how many police chase he was in with it & never got caught, it had some work done to its pistons & its weber carb, and also an uprated coilpack, could cope well with the 1990's squarish 1.6 16valve civics racing illegaly on a quarter mile runway of a closed ex military airport (formly used by the RAF during WW2).

I would like to keep it striped tweek the engine to its max put in a weld in cage, lower it biger front brakes, & get some fat semi slicks 15 inch alloys, and install the factory body kit. Well this is what i wish but its all up to my dad as its his car & his money.

The car right now is realy light, me & my uncle could easily lift the rear end off the ground.

the standard susp. rised by something like 3- 4inches after we striped it lol, i was amazed with how much sound deading carpets it has. it has 1 which is abt 1.5 cm tk fabric carpet & under neat ther is another 2cm carpet of rockwool&some kind of reinforced bitumen bonded together

step by step i am trying to prepare my MK3 to be a bit of beast on the road, but its still a long way from being done due to lack of money.

ill post some updates later this week.

last year i also rebuilded my daily driver a citroen AX 10RE, but thats a diferent story lol i used 3kg of filler lol ill post some pics

19. boostedgolf Forum Member

A bit of an update

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  20. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Great thread. Interesting and keep the updates coming - i love a good resto thread... regardless of the marque!

By the way that has to be the best scenic view ever from a garage! Your lucky! and the sun's shining too and its dry and you aren't flooded out.... :lol: