Your 0-60's

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by copeidge, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Us 8v drivers can change up at any revs & let the monumental torque do all the work, I can get a sub 6sec 0-60 pulling away in 3rd. You 16v drivers don't know what you're missing[:o)]

2. James_mk2 Forum Member

i've actually connected 8 of my 16v valves to a rocker switch on the dash so i can turn them off when i need to go uphill or pull away from standstill quickly

3. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Hahaha! :lol:

But seriously though, I've had to install a parachute in my boot to stop me pulling away so quick! It's worse with a driver too, trust me!

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

What? are you drunk? Think about the simple physics, you fool. Speedos (I'm wearing a pair at the minute, and nothing else) are normally calibrated to be around 8% faster than you are actually going - if they were dead on, they could creep a touch over, which would mean that the manufacturer would face a load of court cases.
    BTW what is "Cable drop out"?

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The 8%, depending on the car anyway, is due to the length of the cable apparently, from what I've read anyway. On RWD cars you find a more accurate speedo because the gear box is closer.

By cable drop out I mean there is a signal drop out between the gearbox sensor and the speed on your dash.

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

You seem to be under the illusion that the speedo on Copeidge's Golf is driven by an electrical signal. It ain't, it's mechanical.
    Don't be embarrassed, I thought the same once upon a time.

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

So how come you can get a more accurate read out on a RWD car and a LHD Golf I've been in was more accurate to the GPS speedo I was using than my LHD speedo? I'm not arguing it, I'm just wondering how it works.

8. James_mk2 Forum Member

Because the tyres on one or all of the cars were most likely underinflated/overinflated/new/old/the wrong size

9. mk28vICED Forum Member

makes me laugh its more of a % over read not a set mph. my golf is less than 5% out according to GPS. so 60 on clock is something like 57, not far off, just enough to stop this lawsuit business....

10. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Having the speedo slightly out has saved me from two bans, got caught speeding last year going an average of 98.4mph, just below the point where you have to go to court despite my speedo saying I was doing around 105mph, then again last weekend going 97.6 average, once more the speedo read over a hundred. I only ever seem to get caught in my misses Leon!

11. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Too right, ive just got away with not re gaining 3points, after I had just lost my previous lot from my licence last month, all thanks to the speedo over read. We've got one of those radar 'your speed is...' signs coming out of work, always fun to get it to read as high as possible, lol.

On our GPS, in uk 60mph on speedo is roughly 55mph GPS. In USA at mo, we used the GPS to drive from the airport to the desert in the hire cars, same overread. So the LHD - RHD cable thing...utter tosh.
    The more accurate your speedo usually is defined by your wheel size. A lad years ago on the polo forum had a mk3 on 17s (i forget the tire size), his mate radar gunned him, bang on what the speedo read.

Also, is the 'naughty' side of the speed limit still defined by the cops as 10% over plus a few mph? Or is it down to what mood the police are in at the time?

My old red G40, with LSD ran a quickest at the pod of 5.2sec on 165/320 slicks. 5.8sec quickest upto 6.5sec on normal 185/60/13 tyres. Ive used a race technology thingy before strapped to my dash and on differing road surfaces, the time differred from 7-9secs!

12. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

my speedo is virtually useless now i'm running 195/45/15's.

At an indicated 80 i was doing about 72 according to tom tom

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thats not too sad at all. only 2-3mph lower than youd expect

14. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

true, hadn't thought of it like that. Still seems a long way from reality though :lol:

15. okman New Member

ive got a kr 16v mk2 scirocco and mine was 6.9 secs to 60 and the mods a four branch mani and jetex exhaust, i think thats a decent time

16. Dono Forum Member

would it not be more accurate to time it to a certain revv and gear depending on what box you have.

I have an AGU 8 valve box, and i know that 7000rpm in 2nd is 66mph or 5000rpm in 3rd gear is 63mph

ive always done it that way and found it a bit better, or am i just up the wall?

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

He smokes crack. Didnt you realise?

The gears moves the same speed either end of the cable. If there was a percentile difference, it would be so minimal and eventually both ends of the speedo cable would be running at the same speed. Shaz just doesnt have a clue. :)

And if speedos under read we'd all be in deep **** regularly. Id be banned for sure.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  18. Nordoff Forum Junkie

15.5seconds rolling in me 1.3[8D]

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

And what a crack dealer you are Deako.

20. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Incredible. Absolutely incredible. I actually think this is a serious contender to the brake disc screw theory.

Thanks for the post report email Shaz but I don't think it's fair to accuse Luke of 'trolling'.