Your next car aTDI or GTI

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by altern8, Jul 17, 2004.

?

What would your next car be a TDI or GTI

1. GTI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. TDI

100.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Ah.. but it's not proven that a diesel would continue to make power higher up even IF they could get them to rev high enough... ;)

2. Pecker Forum Member

Unfortunately I have to have an automatic.

Drove a 1.8T tiptronic Passat, which was disappointing.

Then drove a 130 TDi tiptronic which was very impressive indeed.

So diesel it is for me. Although there's still a hankering for a VR6......and a Mk1 Cabby......and a G60....and a speedster....combi..... [:s]

Gaz

3. Jeff Forum Junkie

mine wont be diesel because I'm not buying a new car. if I was buying a new car I cant afford a fun and practical new car, so I might just go for the practical option and get a diesel :p But I wont, because I'm not buying new, or nearly new, and the older diesels are pretty dire it has to be said. For the money I'd be spending on a sensible car to get from a to b, it would be not enough to get me a quick diesel.And for the money a quick diesel can be had for, I want far more fun than that, thank you very much!

fun in cars is about more than torque and economy, torque is useful but its not automatically fun! And economy, well its never fun, just pleasing when you have more money at the end of the month anyway.

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

its close 17 to gti
    14 to tdi ;)

5. Claypole Forum Junkie

18 - I'll get a pipe to go with my slippers before I go Derv. :lol:

6. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Audi A3 1.8t for me next.

Can't be arsed with diesel until I REALLY have to use it...

Edit: Always amazes me how the diesel bores bang on about them. Yes, they are economical, and quick, but I like my peace and quiet, and the fact that tonnes of smoke doesn't blast out of the exhaust everytime I nail the throttle.
    Edited by: Tuff Schmitt

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

doesn't matter how good diesel engines are/become- diesel reminds me of old taxis and tractors :)

8. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Lol.. In fact, the only time I'll consider buying a diesel, is when the neighbours start to annoy me! :lol:

9. drew Forum Member

I bet my TDI is quieter and less smokey than the average mk2/mk3 GTI!! :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.

10. S700SSY Forum Member

Touran Sport for me next I think + new motorbike in the new year. My Golf only does about 7,000 miles a year max - so wouldn't notice significant economy savings of a diesel.

Family, kids, etc.

S700SSY [:D]
    Edited by: S700SSY

11. mike.e Forum Member

civic type r for me next, as for diesel motors, well you need to do a fair few miles to notice the fuel efficiency and the servicing costs are higher (surely a high miler will need a turbo refurb??)

imo...they still sound like tractors and belt out smoke when booted...its only a matter of time before the insurance premiums reflect the performance of the new diesel engines

petrol head for ever :lol:

12. Jon TDI Forum Member

Servicing costs for my Ibiza have been no more than the Corrado I had. In fact the last service was the cheapest I've paid for a long time.
    Diesels only kick out black smoke when over-fuelled. A correctly fuelled diesel engine will be as clean as a whistle. The Mk5 Golf TDI meets the new European emission laws & that's very strict.
    As for insurance, my premium is 200 cheaper than the Corrado. But saying that, the new SEAT Ibiza Cupra TDI is group 16!

13. Rallye Forum Junkie

my next car will be a another project, thinking coupe, thinking 3.0+, thinking turbo (6)

guesses welcome!