MK1 Track day build.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by MK1-Tron, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Admin Guest

That looks like a valver one. If you want to lower your alternator and improve the belt setup fit a serpentine setup from a mk3 8v 2.0l engine code 2e

2. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Mine is home made, belts available from most motor factors

3. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Lower bracket is mk2 16v

4. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Managed a few hours in the man cave this afternoon, nice to get away from the Christmas / New year madness!
    First up was to find a home for the fire extinguisher, (secondhand off ebay but has just had a refill) it was going to go behind the passenger seat but there was not enough room as i welded the rails the same as the driver side which is right back due to the pedal box, it ended up in the back giving good cable routing.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Made up some brackets for the nozzles out of some scrap 3mm alloy plate, some of the routing needs to be finalised to make sure the bend rads are not too tight. (anyone know the tightest bend rad for 6mm OD pipe?) Need another 'T' for the footwell nozzel as its gone awol!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Bolted the Carbs on, not sure why i have not done this before! Shrink wrapped the accelerator cables, Had a bit of messing around to make sure they are fully open when my foot is to the floor and made a bracket and clamp to support them, need to get a couple of deviders to keep them tidy.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Had a knock at the garage door and it was my mate Bobby with the high current leads we had measured up a little while ago. Offered them up P clipping the bulkhead to starter under the chassis rail and laying the run to the battery in the car.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Not a very interesting update but an update all the same

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. 16valver Forum Member

Very nice attention to detail.

6. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

7. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Not much done today on the mk1, treated the mk3 daily to a service, cleaned the garage.
    Did find time to make up a plate to mount internal battery cut off and fire ex pull.

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. 16valver Forum Member

Getting there. The head is now rebuilt and back on. Just need to get the turbo & manifold bought then put it back in the car :)

9. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Good day today, not a great load done but did manage to get the 2 1/2" Supersprint exhaust fitted, its only single box so i hope its not too loud! Had to do a bit of fettling but its on now. Back on its wheels first time in ages! Thought it would be rude not to roll it out the garage for a few pic's! Would have liked to give it a wash as its very dusty but don't have any water at my garage so that was a no go!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Thats aewsome work! Another car for quality that puts mine to shame[8(]:lol:

Quick question. Who did the carbon door cards come from?

11. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks,

Performance Trim, still waiting on some more fixings for the drivers door card.

12. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Exhaust noise

Looking very tidy,well done, it's not easy to keep it looking tidy and be functional:thumbup:.

On the exhaust side I run a custom 2.5" jetex system with a single silencer (the biggest they did) at the back. At Curborogh last year it was over 104 dB when tested, limit is 105 at Curborough:o. As it happens that's fine for what I do as I mostly run in Hillclimbs and Sprints, the trackdays I do are fairly relaxed and it's not tested in the MOT but if you do trackdays regular (assume you do) you might have issues.

My system does run straight up the middle of the car and I do run big lift and duration on the cam, all of which have an effect on the sound level, but I would get it tested before traveling to a track if you've not built it for racing.

it's easy enough to drop a silencer in the middle if needed and to be honest, if positioned correctly, will probably help with torque as the rear silencer is too far back to work effectively when set at the back. I reckon it would be fairly easy to work out the correct secondary length and position it there, I might do that on mine when I next get it on the rollers for some more development to see what happens. The official JUDD F3 engine info on here and on the VW Motorsport info site give some secondary lengths which whilst a different engine and spec to yours will give a rough idea I would assume (Chris Eyre could give you a link to that info if you haven't seen it).

13. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks Tony, sound advise (no pun intended!)

I did speak to you at curbourogh just before your first run, awesome car you have there! If you ever fancy giving your engine away I'm sure I could find a home for it! ;)

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

F3 Super Vee, 6th from bottom:

http://www.vwmotorsport.info/vwcat/vwcat.asp

:thumbup:

15. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks Chris, does that mean placement of the second silencer should be roughly 30" from the collector / 25" once the pipe is 1 piece? Does further forward = more torque lower down?

May not need one anyway, better get my butt in gear and get it started so i can measure the noise level.

Think i will end up going on a trip to Pipeworx anyway as the front anti roll bar wants to go straight through the centre of the exhaust [8(]

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Fantastically prepared car. Really well done, congrats mate. Looks really nice, something you should be very proud of.

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I would imagine a silencer closer to the headers creates more back pressure, maybe yielding lower down torque, but I'm guessing.

Razzer supplied the manual originally - I've looked through it a few times, and literally hosted it. He may have a view on it. Fire up a tech thread?

18. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks dude, wish i had started a thread at the start of the project, the comments and intrest from others makes a diffrence. :thumbup:

19. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Il see if i need one first as im leaving myself wide open to attack from the 8v massive for wanting more torque from a 16v [:$]

Will do some Googling to see what i find:thumbup:

20. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice job there Tron! Looks very very clean. Jope to have my car this clean one day.

Regarding the exhasut, I run the supersprint group A system too but with the middle box in place and it is still very very loud. I now have to use an extra bolt on silencer at the end of the system and it still only just manages to pass the driveby limits at Bedford which is set at 105dB? I think my exhasut may need re-packing but just something for you to bear in mind.

Also, I run a Neuspeed front ARB which is kinked from factory giving the exhaust lots of clearance.

Gurds