MK1 Track day build.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by MK1-Tron, Dec 18, 2010.

1. TDB86 Forum Member

I think its a magnex one but not 100%

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Whats the carbon fibre like to work with? Is it brittle?

3. Admin Guest

far from it, super tough, just watch the dust

4. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

As Jon P said its tough and flexible, i used tin snips to rough cut it and then just used a file to finish.

No interesting updates from the weekend, just been sorting the wiring, iv been putting it off for too long!

5. hooblah Forum Member

awesome thread!

6. A89

a89 Forum Member

Awesome progress mate!

7. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks chaps:thumbup:

Not had much chance to do much on the mk1, i have got the harnesse's in and connected up apart from a few bits, horn rad fans etc. Everything i don't need has been removed, a few wires replaced and some extended. The plan is to get them all in and connected make sure everything works then remove and wrap them, id like to get some ignition 'on' testing done this week / weekend but we will see!

This is where i am now

[​IMG][/IMG]

Light harness will be clipped to the already 'P' clipped battery cable under the chassis rail.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. wadders

wadders Forum Member

The whole car looks great, well done so far!

9. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Done a bit tonight, finished off most of the wiring connected the battery and crossed my fingers! All the lights work which was a result! Bit of a poor earth on the rear but thats easy enough to fix, then i got brave and turned the engine over with the plugs out. Next on my 'to do' list is i need to connect the oil pressure gauge and mock up a rad then crank for oil pressure. Pleased tonight went so well as electrics are not my strong point! Can't wait to start it!

10. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Mixed day, sorted most of the wiring, had a duff reverse switch but had a spare, so it was on to cranking for oil pressure, plugs out, squirt of oil down each bore, filter full of oil, fully charged standard size battery.
    But no joy getting the oil light to go out [:^(]

When i built the engine the pump was in good order, i filled the pick up pipe with vasoline and filled the pump with oil, this may have drained out as it was a while ago. Don't really want to have to take the sump off and repeat this process.

Any other tricks that may help? How long can you crank for without risking damaging anything?

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Check the ratings on the VDO senders
    Swap senders for same but identical
    There are 2, one for idle, one for more revs - and they can get swapped round, causing confusion / panic
    If necessary take the entire loom out of the equation and put a bulb in circuit, straight from battery positive to sender terminal.

12. danster Forum Addict

To save cranking on the starter for ages to build oil pressure, you can remove timing belt and spin the intermediate shaft only with a drill and socket of some description till you get oil pressure.
    Then refit timing belt correctly to the marks.
    I use this method with all my engines that have been completely stripped down prior to starting. :thumbup:

13. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks Chris, i was pretty sure the sender wiring is correct, the oil light does go out when i unplug from the twin pole low pressure sender (switched at 0.3?), does it matter which terminal its connected up to ? Think they are marked up WK and G?
    I have got a M10x1 test point but its at work 30 miles away! then use a mechanical 0-5 Bar gauge. What pressure should be achived at cranking RPM ?

14. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

That would be better than taking the sump off! Thanks. Will just double check the wiring too.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pass, the VDO markings are on them so you can work out what covers which range.

Danster probably knows :thumbup:

16. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

As it's a 16v can't you just remove the distributor blanking plug and use a slotted shaft to spin the pump up? I run 8v's :thumbup: so not sure what the 16v has there but as I run and ECU for spark and fuel and I just remove the distributor housing (that I use as a handy mount for the coil pack) and spin the oil pump as I don't need to time it up for any reason. The distributor houses the drive gear to take the drive from the intermediate shaft to the pump so no need to upset the cam timming. Is the 16v dofferent?

17. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks Tony, under the blank the gear in a 16v can be lifted out from the top, so if i can make somthing to spin the pump shaft should be a winner,

What do you use for this?

Thanks for the ideas chaps:thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

g goes to the vdo gauge, wk to the warning light wire :thumbup:

19. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks your a star [:*:]

20. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

A long day in the man cave!

Tripple checked the wiring, all was good. Used the air line on the VDO sender (body earthed) light went out and the gauge went up. So decided to try and rotate the pump shaft, removed the blank and gear found a 13mm multi spline socket that fitted, chopped a 3/8 extension so i could fit it in a drill. Still no joy [:^(]
    So the bullet was bit and off came the sump and pump, using the drill on the pump with the pick up in oil, still no joy.

[​IMG][/IMG]

So the pick up was removed, it was still full of Vasoline, prodded my finger in it and it was fairly solid, i heated it with the fan heater and it slid out like a tube of silicone!

[​IMG][/IMG]

I re fitted the pick up and tryed again, oil picked up staright away!

I refitted everything back up (oh how i love the sump bolts next to the gearbox!) re filled with oil, used the drill on the shaft again, after only a couple of rotations oil was up to the head (rocker cover off).
    Cranked the car on the starter and the light went straight out and the gauge showed pressure!:)

I was on a roll now! Rocker cover fitted, plugs in, petrol in, gauge fitted to the fuel line, pump wired. Pump picked up straight away, set the pressure too 2.5psi on the regulator

[​IMG][/IMG]

Start time! It fired straight into life! Im now much happier than i was this morning!

Called it quits for today now, need to write a new 'to do' list! I don't think i will be using vasoline in a pick up again!

Thanks for your help with yesterdays posts:thumbup: