MK1 Track day build.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by MK1-Tron, Dec 18, 2010.

1. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks Gurds:thumbup:

Looks like i will be getting a middle box then!

Do you know how much the Neuspeed drops down to clear the exhaust? Any chance of a pic? No big rush

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I will try to get a pic for you next time I'm under it :thumbup:

The difference is significant though. The original ARB always touched under load but I have never had this system touch or the old Ashley manifold touch since fitting the Neuspeed. Some of the other aftermarket ARBs have the same extended clearance.

Gurds

3. Admin Guest

those 16vs need all the help they can get in making torque.:lol:

4. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Not even going there! :lol:

5. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I'm no expert but from my motorbike experience my understanding is the more highly tuned the engine the more important the exhaust. On two strokes they are critical but not so much so on four strokes but still important (more so on a 16v than an 8v though :lol:).

The shorter the secondry pipes/headers the higher the power and torque are generated as a general rule, 4/2/1 and 4/1 manifolds also affect this, 4/2/1 being better for torque/mid range etc.

Anyway didn't mean to go off on a tangent and highjack the thread but at our levels it probably just as safe to check with vw_singh where his Supersprint front silencer is mounted and assume that is as good a compromise as any as they will have put it there for a reason you would assume.

I'm rubbish with names and faces MK1-Tron, better with cars and engines[:$] Enjoyed Curborough, will try and come up next year as I'm sorting out the front suspension, ride height and track this winter plus I need some Clubgti legal tyers. I normally run supersoft slicks which are still not sticky enogh, I struggled for grip with the tyres I had on, they were some cut A048's and only 195's, not enough rubber. I could only use full throttle down the straight[:^(]. Well that's my excuse.

Might have a run at a Sprint event as I think it would go reasonably well on a drag strip, must look in to that a bit more.

If my body shell was tidy I'd try and keep it as tidy as yours however as it's had a hard life with me and in previous lives (it has been a Euro saloons racer/Welsh Touring cars racer) I sort of play to that and make it look a bit rougher than it really is for effect. Again that's my excuse:lol:.

6. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks again Tony,
    From my digging around on the tinterweb it does not seam that critical on a 4 cylinder in a relative low state of tune, I used to race mx and the wrong exhaust could kill a bikes performance.

I should be at curby in mine this year if all things go to plan! Just need that money tree to start bearing fruit!

7. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

That looks brilliant. I wanted the floor mounted pedal box in mind but as usual, I have these ideas too late, cage was in and the seat would not go back far enough.

Will this be ready soon?

8. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

The pedal box does move the seating position back about 300mm ish! Had to drop the steer tube and add a steering wheel spacer, the driving position is very good now though.

I'm hoping to have it on the road in a couple of months, just depends on work oh and money! Too much of one and not enough of the other!

Edit: just seen your car! Wow! Mine is very lame in comparison! Keep up the high standard looks awesome !

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  9. 8pots Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter

Edit: just seen your car! Wow! Mine is very lame in comparison! Keep up the high standard looks awesome !

Not at all, really like yours. What you going to use it for? Plus yours is nearly done, I still have a big box of bits!

10. roy8v

roy8v Forum Member

Great job tron, really well thought out and nicely executed track car, giving me the inspiration to get out and start scraping all the deadening out of mine (your interior looks so crisp). Keep up the good work and hope to see it on track soon:thumbup:

11. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive only just noticed this thread. Such a great build, and love the attention to detail throughout the build. It looks perfect :thumbup:

Got to be one of the best track MK1's on here tbh :thumbup:

12. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks again chaps[:$]

It's going to be used for track days and sprints, il use it on the road for weekend blasts in the summer.

Had an on-line accident last week and these have turned up! I only wanted a bag of fixings! They make the car no faster and cost a bomb! Heart not a head decision[:$]

Thanks again Performance trim:thumbup:

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  13. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Managed to get the above fitted this evening, just need to get some adhesive foam tape to sit behind them like i have done on the other panels.

Little bit of sanding needed to get a good fit, i now have lungs full of expensive dust!:lol:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Also made and painted a bracket to hold the catch tank, it picks up on the bumper fixing bolts, may change yet, not sure im happy with it.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

14. jamesa Forum Junkie

Eibach ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  15. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Thanks Jamesa, i think my Dubpower manifold has been welded up wrong, the standard anti roll bar sits through the centre of the exhaust! I have a couple of fixes in mind, mill the manifold flange to kick up the back end or get the exhaust bent up and over. I know people complain of knocking but mine is somthing else! Thanks for the picture, Just thought of a third solution! ABF block should lift it up enough!

16. jamesa Forum Junkie

This will also change as it`s a temporary link pipe ... between the new 9A 16v, 4-1 and the old 8v Supersprint system

17. Road Boss Forum Member

Attention to detail looks great on this car.:thumbup:

18. AjVR Forum Member

Looks good enough to win show and shine and is a track focused machine. Win, win!

19. TDB86 Forum Member

Yeah got the same problem with my exhaust, going to give it a bit of heat and then bend it down a bit more to clear the steering rack and bottom of the floorpan

20. MK1-Tron

MK1-Tron Forum Member

Mine is too low, it's well clear of the rack, what manifold and engine are you using?