2L 8v charger / turbo mounting

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by G60KG, Aug 3, 2011.

1. superchargedabf Forum Member

sort some pics out for you. made it myself, very easy mounts to the old alternater bracket

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

just read that whole thread (properly) great info on when to lower compression etc...

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Get some pics up or a build thread.;) Be interesting to see how you did that layout.

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Ok just been looking at ebay at random turbos. If I were to go down the turbo route how would I decide on which turbo is suitable and is buying a second hand unit from Ebay a big no no. Lets set a target preformance slightly beyond how a G60 performs as I enjoyed how it felt in a heavy rallye shell so similar performance in a lighter car should be more than adequate (for now)

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You can buy SH but you may have to add in the cost of a rebuild @~$250. Audi one mentioned earlier could be an good option if it fits the head. Other than that, a manifold to suit a turbo could work out expensive unless you can make a log type one yourself.

6. nass Forum Member

Kinetic motorsport sell 16vt manifolds for $200
    HTH

Nas

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Are they LHD may have fitting issues on a RHD car concerning servo.

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

would the manifold from 20vt car work for the turbo? been looking through your build thread which is very good at showing exactly what is involved when fitting a turbo. I'm thinking it may be a little simpler in my mk2 as there is more space for IC and no clutch cylinder and massive AC compressor to work around.

also what is a log type manifold and is for example a KO3 suitable for the spec I have in mind.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Would def be easier in a mk2. 20v manifold doesn't fit without an adapter. Clutch cylinder is a major issue, just a pipe needed bending. A turbo size depends on the type of drive feel you want. Small turbo's give good lowdown response but not high HP numbers.
    Do a search for a log manifold. Its called that because it resembles a log/branch. Not good for high horsepower but should be suitable for what you want. I think toyotec have some pics in his thread of his early manifold.

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

will do a bit of googling, I didnt realise there was so many little connections to put in like the water and oil returns.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I tried to explain that all in my thread. Would be good to research more. ;)

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

A friend of mine is building a 16vT, and has chopped down the runners of a 20v manifold, and mated them to the (also chopped down) lower section of the 16v manifold. :thumbup:

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Inlet or exhaust. I have the inlet on mine. Dunno bout exhaust.

14. StuMc

Sorry inlet, just realised you were talking about exhaust manifolds... [:$]

Carry on! :lol:

15. nass Forum Member

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'm guessing you don't read many turbo threads?:lol: There are quite a few of the 20v - 16v been done.

17. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Right definitely scrapped the supercharger option unless it was a G60 but its not financially viable. So please could someone give insight on which exhaust manifolds would fit the PB head or is it better to get a purpose built aftermarket one and Im a little confused about the inlet, would I still be able to use the original PB or would it be easier using a G60/mk1 type where the TB mounted on the opposite side?

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

My mate is checking his garage to see what he's got left. Deffo got a turbo and 5 cyl manifold, but he reckons the manifold is worth serious money to a UR quattro owner (as they often crack/warp) so I don't know if you'd be better off with a custom made one. If he gives me any more info on the other bits (he def has intercoolers, maybe inlets, and def a downpipe) I'll let you know by PM.

Do you still want to borrow a PB manifold to measure stuff up? I think I've got both PB and MK1 types down the man cave that you can have a look at, and borrow. I'll be down there tonight, but only till about 7.

19. StuMc

I do! That`s why I thought it was odd you saying the 20v one won`t work without an adaptor, but it was just a brain-fart on my side... :lol:

20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Seem to be some on ebay. Not sure if they are right or left Hand Drive

8v manifold

[​IMG]