2L 8v charger / turbo mounting

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by G60KG, Aug 3, 2011.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

yeah saw the ebay ones, guess that will be the most practical option unless a mk3 tdi one will fit?

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I was at work this evening so couldnt get back to you. If you have 8v fuel rail too then I could borrow the lot to see if my mods on the audi tb will help clear the TPS.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not sure if TDI manifolds are any good? Same head pattern I think. Not sure if the turbo flange is compatible with much, but expect someone on here will know. Is a TDI turbo any good for a low boost setup on a petrol engine?

I have a spare digi fuel rail I think. No ABK type stuff though.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Digi stuff is good as I have a spare head and block I could mount them on to check clearance without pulling my stuff apart you around this afternoon?

5. drego786 New Member

6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Also too loud and annoying as per the red corrado (fire engine) video

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

That one was also running un-silenced though. :thumbup:

BBM kits are almost plug and play, but are quite expensvie new (3000+, which is what put me off a few years back), so maybe a second-hand one could be a good option.

Properly silenced though they are pretty quiet. Certainly no louder than a factory G60.

[YOUTUBE]3LQ6uP3UyfQ[/YOUTUBE]

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

that sounds much better but 2k+ is not feasable at all. If I were spending that money I'd probably raise another grand or so and try and find an actual G60 (whole car) from Germany. Obviously it wouldnt be mint but it would be a better base than my old golf.

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

the exhaust manifold below is from a A4 1.9tdi and the ports seem to match the PB head. Can someone please confirm if this is a suitable bolt on solution as its way cheaper than the new cast manifold on Ebay.

[​IMG]

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think dansters the man for that. You would need to know what flange fitting is used as i dont think that turbo would be good for a petrol application.

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

oh so the turbo flange could be different? hopefully if the head side and turbo side are suitable then I will snap this up and save a 100.

12. danster Forum Addict

That pic is actually upside down as you can see the oil drain pipe at the top. This being the case if you flip it 180deg the turbo will then be in the way of where the inlet manifold bolts onto the head.
    There are a couple of oem TDI designs that have the turbo sitting lower and it is very close to allowing the oem petrol inlet manifold to fit.
    The TDI lads often change to the large plenum equal length runner inlet manifold from the 1Y or 1X IDI NA engines. The 1Y inlet manifold is a very similar shape to a mk2 GTI style. Bar the ports being D shaped at the top of the port it would actually take a single throttle body with TPS from a petrol car.
    The diesels use a tiny turbo so presume not ideal. The triangular bolt pattern for mounting the turbos vary quite a lot. It could be that there is a petrol KO3 turbo design that would mate to a diesel exhaust manifold. There are lots out there but matching two together without having them available for a trial fit is awkward.

Crossflow 8v head does not have the inlet manifold clashing with turbo problem. ;)

13. danster Forum Addict

14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

so would it make sense to use both exhaust and inlet manifolds from the 1Y? Another thing it looks like I could use the 1Y inlet for my initial MS setup using a later abf style TB with TPS without having to worry about clearance issues (before going turbo)

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

See, these are the problems you get with trying things with 8 valves. :lol: Always ends up being awkward.

16. danster Forum Addict

The 1Y is non turbo.
    I have a 1Y inlet manifold here so will measure up the possibility of fitting the petrol TB from a 2E or ABF over the weekend.
    It would be interesting to see how well the diesel head inlet ports flow with the D shaped port, smaller valves though. Opening up the top of the port on petrol heads is something mr hillclimber does to improve shape and flow. The 1Y inlet could be port matched to your petrol head.
    I will have a play around in the shed over the weekend and quickly mock up a few things.

There are various aftermarket options available to buy already. 8v to T3, T25/8 or Subaru Impreza turbo exhaust manifolds are made and occasionally turn up secondhand.

I think aidan just had a flange welded onto a petrol exhaust "toilet bowl" style manifold to make his own setup.

Checkout motha's build thread for pics and ideas. :thumbup:

17. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I like the challenge :lol: and Im somewhat attached to my first engine conversion. Im sure there will be a big NO NO on the 1Y/1X manifolds just waiting on someone with the knowledge to tell me why I cant use them.

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

and there is the rather obvious no no [:$]:lol:

The 1y inlet mock would be most useful as that would take care of my initial MS mods. If I have to spend 140 on a new cast exhuast manifold suited to the head then so be it as its not hugely expensive Im just trying to scrimp.

19. lewp91 Forum Member

there's some great TDI turbo setup on petrol engine threads on the vortex btw guys :)
    i'm just struggling to find them right now :p
    there was an FAQ or something?

20. danster Forum Addict

Here is a 1Y inlet manifold. It will take a 2E throttle body as the TB mounting bolt holes are 60mm which is the same as the 2E. 58mm is the air intake diameter but could be ported to open it up if needed. I have put a gasket on the face to show that the gasket is slightly wider than the actual ports.
    [​IMG]

Here is a Digifant head with the same gasket located on the mounting holes. It looks like there is a lot of material to be removed but bare in mind the gasket is approx 1mm larger than the ports of the 1Y inlet manifold.
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of a 1Z TDI engine with the 1Y inlet manifold trying to fit. It very nearly clears the exhaust manifold. Only 1mm or so on No2 exhaust runner that touches and causes the inlet to be lifted slightly and half an M8 mount hole out at the timing belt end. Probably die grinding the manifolds to allow clearance would work.
    I also tried an AGG petrol 2.0 inlet manifold and it touched at the same place. The AGG and 2E engines have the injectors in the inlet manifold and different shape ports in the head compared to the PB and other 8v engines. But it means that either head with a TDI exhaust and suitable inlet manifold to match the head being used should work.
    [​IMG]

As mentioned in the thread linked to above I think the AHU exhaust manifold is a different shape in the area where it touches so I think it will clear. The diesel turbo issue still needs looking at but these parts allow some progress.