2L 8v charger / turbo mounting

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by G60KG, Aug 3, 2011.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Would be good to see if this could work. Like things different from the norm that involve some thought

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

The tdi manifold stuff does fit on 8v heads its just a **** design
    I have one if you wait to try it

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thanks for that Danster. So at worst I may have to do a little grinding to get the diesel inlet to sit right on the pb head. So stage 1 (moving to MS) looks to be covered using the diesel inlet and square TB. Couple more questions Which square TB could I use? AGG/2E/ABF etc and what would happen if I didnt remove the extra material from the pb head to match the diesel inlet?

Alan I may take you up on that offer - will PM you cheers.

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

just seen this come up for sale on Ebay. the flange is in a different position to the others on Ebay. Would this flange not foul the inlet or is it pictured upside down. If it is upside down any pros/cons compared to the new one with the flange at the back.

[​IMG]

5. danster Forum Addict

That manifold is upside down and looks like it will be for a T3 turbo judging by the size of the rectangle, possibly a T25 / T28 as they are smaller. Possibly homemade. I am not sure about running a turbo at an angle either. It may have an effect on bearings or oil pooling.

You sort of need to work out which turbo you are going to use before deciding on the manifold as they are specific to the flange style being used.

As per previous post, the 1Y manifold with TB from a 2E with TPS maybe a good start to getting the MS up and running, knowing that a turbo could be fitted at a later date with little work. The 1Y inlet manifold will need a servo vacuum point installed as the diesel use a vacuum pump to charge the servos as there is no manifold vacuum. You could tie this into the breather stub in the front of the plenum.
    With regard to the D shaped ports, it is not ideal to run them without port matching as it will create a large step that will reduce flow.

6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

turbo wise I have no clue which one I want and find the specs quite confusing. I rather have the power earlier and sacrifice top end as I wouldnt be able to use it on the road anyway. So there is no turning back once the excess material has been removed for the d shape ports. looking for a 2e TB as we speak.

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Been reading that the mk2 TD can fit on this head quite easy. Dont know what turbo flange they use though.

8. danster Forum Addict

The turbo sits up high and only leaves room for a very small inlet manifold. No room for injectors either.
    The flanges can be early 4 bolt trapezoidal, or later 3 bolt design for a specific Garret T2 or T3. Not ideal positioning for what is trying to be done here.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The thing that would concern me would be the heating effect of the inlet. My inlet would heatsoak on the crossflow ABF just from under bonnet temps. With the turbo being directly underneath the inlet I'd consider going crossflow as you will need lots of time trying to map out lean hot starts etc once it's all running, which is quite frustrating at times.

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

just bought the inlet below from a 5 cylinder transporter. Hopefully it will physically fit. If it fits then I can chop the 5th runner off as the rest match up to the head saving me having to shape the existing ports

[​IMG]

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Got the 2.4d inlet manifold today. Initial thoughts - its huge and runners are much longer than the standard PB. how will longer runners affect performance and if I was to use this whats the best way to remove the 5th runner? Is it best to chop it from the plenum or is it better cutting the plenum along with the runner making the plenum shorter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sticks out much further at the back compared to standard PB inlet.
    [​IMG]

12. danster Forum Addict

Jeepers, they are long. They might hit the raintray area.
    Why did you go for the 5 cylinder one? The 1Y or 1X 4cylinder type would not require the work.

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Well it was a long shot as this way I wouldnt have to modify the head to suit the 'D' shaped ports of the 1.9d inlet. I may put this back up on ebay and replace it with a 1x etc

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Sorry...Why do you need a new inlet manifold?????

15. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

audi oval type TB with TPS fowls the fuel rail so the 1.9d inlets fit the head pretty well and allow for a 2E type TB to be bolted on which are more compact than the old skool tps TBs. Well thats the theory anyway.

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

It is alot of faffing about when you can make an "L" shaped bracket and run a tps on the existing. Save cost my man.

17. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

faffing completed. Here it is 1X inlet with 2E throttle body mounted on PB head. Almost perfect just need to trim down that vac line on the TB as it is touching the wiring case of the fuel rail (circled) although its probably ok as it is once the fuel rail is secured to the head with the two bolts. I am not going to port match the head and see how it goes initially. Oh yes and the TPS is well clear of the fuel rail.

[​IMG]

18. danster Forum Addict

Did you try rotating the TB in different positions? That vac take off is normally pointing to the rear iirc.

19. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

:lol: oops I just assumed tps was at the bottom. Forgot it is a perfect square. Ill try when I get home, think it will be ok

20. danster Forum Addict

Bump for updates. :thumbup: