the tdi mpg thread

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by LregG, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Dubnutter Forum Member

Another thing to check is the maf to inlet trunking, mine had rubbed against one of the fuel pipes and made a small hole which didn't help mpg and power until I sealed it.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not noticed any splits, although sometimes if I'm hearing turbo whine or a bit of boost leak. The car does 100+mph on the private test track, so it's not miles out. It's only booked at about 105mph I think.

The engine bay layout is very different from the golf due to the in-line engine installation. The inlet side is all 'behind' the engine on the driver's side inner wing. Fuel pump and fuel lines are on the passenger side of the engine. I've had it all apart and didn't spot any major problems... although the inlet hose to the inlet manifold got a bit of taping up where it was starting to crack. I might see what Audi want for a new one, or price up a bit of silicon hose the same size. 50mm (ish) hose should be easy to get.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  3. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

My Old A4 1.9tdi B5 remapped to 140bhp 204k on the clock, top end rebuild with recon turbo at 152K 18inch wheels

Average 58-62mpg general driving
    Best ever 92.1mpg over 170miles mostly motorway and A roads no traffic etc. But 52-58mph. Endurance MPG testing exercise. V Painful was worse than doing a shift in a 24hr race. Optimium RPM 1850
    Motorway 70mph 65mpg
    Hard driving 48mpg 85-100mph over 180 miles A127-M25-M4-A417

All on BP Ultimate Diesel. Also the 18 wheels really help i saw a 6mpg increase

New A4 B7 2.0 TDI 140bhp remapped to 170bhp

General Driving 46mpg local dithering around town
    Motorway Driving 60mpg
    Best 72mpg over 20 miles A road.Optimum RPM 2200

One thing i found in moving to a new car is the difference between cable operated and drive by wire throttles. The Older car was much easier to get a good average mpg. The newer car took a long time to get used to using such a small throttle input to keep it ticking along due to the reduced resistance that a wire throttle has. Also this 6 speed stuff really confuses me lol.

When i was using VEG in the old B5 i found about a 5-8mpg loss in economy but it drove smoother. In the summer when the temps are up i was running 85% VEG 15% Diesel. I bought over 220L at one point and stashed it, back when it was 14.95 per 20L barrel, when I last checked it was 22.50 shame the B7 won’t run on it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Dubnutter Forum Member

I need to get my 1z into a mk2 golf shell I think, should be even quicker and better on fuel due to the 300kg ish weight loss. M1ke is working on a chip for me in a new metal ecu (the plastic ones are only 8 bit, metal ones are 16bit and better to tune). Hoping for more mpg and power on the std 90bhp.

5. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

I was thinking the same with my stripped out mk2...according to the mot brake rollers at work, it weighs 1030kg with me in it (with the an abf in it)

6. Dubnutter Forum Member

Are they about 950kg's empty or something like that? My 5 door mk3 tdi is 1275 kg's I think.

7. LregG

I'm 0.1 of metric tonne :lol:...so 930 kg for the car

8. Dubnutter Forum Member

Hmmm, I need to hire a jockey to see how fast my car can really go....:lol:

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The weight is a weird one, rubjonny's Golf was 980kg on a weigh bridge and his has all the toys fitted, plus a full ABF conversion.

10. LregG

Weigh bridges are something like +/- 20kg I believe and rely on a central balance point...

I've just weighed the mk3...It's 1325kg, 775 over the front wheels and 550 over the back...so realistically, the mk3 is 1225kg after taking me out of the equation..

That would make it just shy of 300kg heavier than my stripped mk2

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. Dubnutter Forum Member

In real world terms thats a huge amount less the 1z would have to shift, easy mpg improvments and acceleration.

12. LregG

hmmm, tempted, 1z's remap to 120bhp I think [:D]

I've just mot'd a mk4 tdi for one of the guys in motorbikes...that was 1295kg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  13. aidanb22 Forum Member

I had a 1Z swapped into a K reg MK3 Van. It had power steering, no electric windows, no central locking, no rear glass/seats/trim, 14" alloys. I'd expect weight to be not far off a fully trimmed mk2
    It was chipped and had cruise control however, but economy was not significantly better than anyone elses reports on here

14. Dubnutter Forum Member

I would expect a small gain in mpg's just because less fuel is needed at any given speed to move the lighter mass. How much depends on driving style and engine condition etc etc.

I may look into this more...

15. LregG

I am starting to really think on swapping out my abf for the 1z, chip it to around 120bhp and have it twin tank'd..it'll go better than an mk2 8v gti with the economy of a mk3 tdi (and some) with the added bonus of the cheap running costs associated with a twin tank wvo conversion.

16. Dubnutter Forum Member

I like the sound of this too, I have collected alot of bookmarks for various pages of info on the swap. Mechanically its fairly straight forward like most mk2/mk3 swaps,the wiring looks a bit messy and involves most of the mk2 dash having to come out so the mk3 clock wiring and pedal switches etc can be installed.
    Box wise, the 020 is best, with either a Seat hydro to cable conversion, or fitting hydro clutch.

Would be a very nice mk2 to drive, very responsive and very rev'y, would steam through the gears (i suspect even 90bhp with the 020 box would spin 1 -3 easily enough) and easily a 750 mile range on the tank if sensible. Plus the added bonus that the tdi is actually quite light for a diesel engine of its stroke. And don't forget cruise control.............and then there's a chip, bigger turbo, nozzles...................................... the list goes on ;)[:D]:lol:

My only reservation about doing the swap into a mk2 gti over a mk3 gti, is that it will be my daily, and I need to tow a small box trailer weighing about 600kgs loaded, and im not sure if thats safe for a mk2 to tow.

17. Dubnutter Forum Member

although the unbraked weight for a trailer on a mk2 is 450kgs, and a mk3 is 500kgs, so in thoery i could shed some kgs to enable me to have a 1z mk2 [:D]:thumbup:

18. LregG

My mk2 is already running an O2A with hydraulic clutch so I'm thinking a swap to a passat tdi pedal box would work. I could also graft the tdi pedal switches and potentiometer on to the passat pedal box that is currently fitted I guess.

All the wiring is mk3 inside my car...it would just be a case of cable tying the tdi cluster to the steering column lol.

19. Dubnutter Forum Member

I think we have answered our own questions :lol:

Modern speed, modern mpg, old school looks, win!

20. LregG

I'm giving up on the mk2 idea...I quite like driving the mk3, even if it's gained a few rusty war wounds during It's travels lol