the tdi mpg thread

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by LregG, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Dubnutter Forum Member

Cheers mike, I couldnt remember which way round it was.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I almost did this at the weekend, but chickened out because it was getting late and I'd have to cut the bolts off (v rusty). I'll try to finish work at a sensible time and do the job tonight.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Made some improvements to the catalytic converter tonight. It must have been well blocked up, as the light throttle judder is pretty much gone, the car idles a lot smoother (although still not perfectly) and seems to rev a lot more freely. I'll report back on how the MPG goes over the weekend. Between this and the thermostat fix, it's like driving a completely different car.

4. Dubnutter Forum Member

My mk3 1z is so responsive now, and the high mileage actually helps this i think.

5. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

My 225k mile mk3 1z is nippy enough, especially if kept between the 1500-2100rpm sweet spot as pointed out by GT3, so driving economically isn't actually a chore...

6. Dubnutter Forum Member

Iv just sold a newer freelander just to keep a tatty n reg mk3 golf tdi because I love the way it drives so much and the response and feel of even the 90bhp engine, and it just refuses to use diesel which I'm amazed at. It is so frugal for a 1.9!

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Seem to be getting about 44-45mpg on the motorway runs up to Scotland... more investigation needed I think. Will have to wait till I get back though.

8. Dubnutter Forum Member

That's not bad, but it should be higher, a diesel is at its best when its at a set speed on a long run, you should be 10 mpg more than you getting now at least. Binding bakes or wheel bearings possibly?

9. LregG

Have you checked your maf and boost readings in measuring blocks mike?

My twin tank conversion is complete now so I'll be seeing if wvo (waste veg oil) has an impact on fuel economy or not...although at 70p a litre, its not really going to be a monetary issue until less than 30mpg, and I can't see that happening [:D]

10. geeteethree Forum Member

70p a litre is high, consider joining VOD forum, the going rate on the classified section for good filtered WVO is about 40ppl. It's an active forum, likely to be a few producers near your location. Avoid Ebay, ridiculous prices

11. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

i use 100% SVO 95p per litre brand new from Makro :thumbup:

i used to run on 100% WVO @ 35p per litre until my supplier disapeared, just working on a new supplier and offer him 40p per litre [:D]

p.s. i also get 76mpg out of my FABIA 1.4TDIon a good run fitted with a TDI Tuningbox , i get 56mpg arround town :) Gurd's has the same box in his Lupo i don't know what MPG he's getting .

12. LregG

I have just completed my first drive on wvo...I didn't notice any difference in power or notice a change in engine note...a run from cold will be the proper test tomorrow, i'll also have taken out the additional weight of my remaining stockpile of wvo for a fair comparison.

I payed 75p a litre for the processed wvo as I had already spoken to the supplier before xmas and I haven't had time to look elsewhere ...some of it was still warm from being processed:)

13. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

the engine will run quieter on veg oil , but you will get slightly less MPG on the Veg Oil only about 25miles less per tank :thumbup:

14. LregG

How long do you give it before switching to wvo on a cold day mate?

15. timsummers New Member

70p for WVO seems pretty steep, but the I last bought some ~2yrs ago was for 20p, filtered too. Was using it to make bio. The Ibiza did get less mpg on bio but is difficult to be as accurate as the forecourt pump.

Used SVO a few times and it was harder to start as the concentration got near 100%.

Back on derv now [:^(]

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yep, I was thinking I should be getting 50-55 mpg. I was sitting at 75mph for economy. Brakes aren't binding. One wheel bearing rumbles a bit, but I can't see that making anything like 10mpg difference.

Can do, but not sure what the MAF should be reading. Max Boost is 1 bar-ish, isn't it?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  17. LregG

click here and check out section i mike

Just completed my first run from cold, -2degrees centigrade to be exact...no issues to report and as a bonus, tailgaters seem to back off[:D]

18. Dubnutter Forum Member

75mph isnt the economy speed :lol:, 57-60 is best for economy. Or is that the excuse you use with old bill :lol:

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's more economy than 90 ;)

I'll have a look at the MAF readings this week. although I guess if it reads low, it's not necessarily the MAF that's at fault... all good info to start an investigation though.

20. LregG

If you have a bar of boost then you should have 800mg/st of air at 3k rpm under full load, unless you have a split on your pipe from airfilter to turbo?...especially with the egr blanked off...boost should peak at 19psi and hold at 15psi