the tdi mpg thread

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by LregG, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

I just took the winter tyres off too. Hopefully that will reduce rolling resistance and gain an mpg or two.

We'll see what this tankful does!

2. Dubnutter Forum Member

Its encouraging to see steady improvments mikeH

3. Dubnutter Forum Member

any improvement?

4. Fishman Forum Member

Am looking for an economical cheap load lugger...

Mk3 Golf TDi estate.....Anyone know what kind of thirst they have? The extra weight/length have much of a negative affect?

5. Dubnutter Forum Member

I wouldnt expect a large decrease im mpg, 50 should be an easy target to see daily if its in good shape

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. Fishman Forum Member

Thinking of using the ibiza for the 50 mile round trip everyday. The missus can use the Mk3 estate (10 miles a day) and use it as something bigger and more comfortable for load lugging. Holidays etc!

Where some of the Mk3's fitted with the IDI AAZ motor? How does the indirect injection hurt mpgs?

7. Dubnutter Forum Member

My friend had one. Went well with a tweak to the pump. He said he was hitting mid 50's on a daily basis. They suffer a bit in hill climbs and around town due to the disign of the engine and lack of turbo. Supposed to be reliable and solid. Just slow.

8. Fishman Forum Member

And run well on veggie..

I had a TDi on veggie (twin tank). I'd like to run a single tank.. Can the AAZ do this?

vegetableoildiesel forum doesn't have much info on this..

AAZ is an IDI engine and has a Bosch pump. Should be as good as the Pug306 which they seem to love (only the car wont fall to bits around the motor!)

9. Dubnutter Forum Member

Yeah the bosch pumps with the boost advance diaphram on top like a flying saucer, and the non turbo idi pumps, are one of the best pumps for bio and veg. They seem to cope well with the higher pumping demands when cold, and the acidity of bio fuels. The 306 also has an element style fuel filter in a heated plastic housing with a metal base that is heated by a small heater element until the flow of coolant through the base is warm enough to take over. This makes the xud9 and xud9te perfect for bio, wvo and svo. If this fuel setup could be applied to the aaz idi, it would handle home made bio etc with ease, even in colder weather. My old d turbo 306 ran on svo in the winter with only an anti waxing agent and ran fine.

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I fitted a new map sensor on the B7 tdi it cured the big flat spot in first, runs a lot smoother with the remap and an extra 10mpg Result!

11. Dubnutter Forum Member

12. Fishman Forum Member

I did the fuel filter housing mod to blank the thermostat on my 306..Fitted hdi gearbox, bosch pump, GT15 turbo, de-cat and tune...130ish bhp

Then the head gasket failed and I got fed up with it breaking!

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Latest tankful... no additives. Sticking to around an indicated 75mph on the motorway. Back on summer tyres (195/65x15) @ Std pressures.

53.2 litres
    588 miles

50.25 mpg.

14. Dubnutter Forum Member

So there is a marked improvment from when treatment began until present. There will obviously be a slight mpg penalty between a hatchback and an estate with the same engine, how much im
    Not sure of. I would of said that new nozzles would net upto a 5mpg gain if they have been around the block a few times like mine.

ZX1 oil treatment is also worth a punt, i use it in all my cars and always seems to improve mpg, not by much, 3mpg at the very most. Its nothing like slick 50 which is basicaly 'liquid non stick frying pan' type stuff ie has tiny solid particles.

Other than the above i would say you are doing pretty well mpg wise on a std estate.