the tdi mpg thread

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by LregG, Jan 18, 2012.

1. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

What mpg are you getting out of your tdi?, list yours as follows

Mk3 golf gl tdi
    1z engine
    225k miles on the clock
    Mixed driving

410miles from 50
    (50)5000/(pence per litre)140.9=35.48litres
    35.48/4.54=7.8gallons
    410miles/7.8gallons=52.5mpg

So out of the last 50 I averaged 52.5mpg...I still had half way through the red left in the tank as well!

For a bang on reading you need to fill up, reset your trip, do however many miles you like and then fill up again and do the maths, so, what are you getting??

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm getting about 42mpg at the minute - was getting 46-50 last summer, but I've just changed the stuck thermostat and filled up with fuel, so we'll see what the next tank does. Temp gauge wasn't getting to the bottom mark before, and now it's right on 90*C

Audi 80 Avant TDI (1Z) - 158k miles

3. geeteethree Forum Member

I used to keep accurate logs of my fuel consumption, but been lackadaisical of late.

[​IMG]

Ecomodder fuel log

Polo 1.9tdi Estate
    AHU engine
    158K miles
    short and medium trips

47.99mpg(US) is 57.63mpg(IMP)

went a bit OTT for a while testing some crazy aero additions, including covered rear arches. All that remains are larger profile tyres which raise gearing about 6.5% (now matches GPS) and engine undertray. When I get my finger out, I will eventually be running a twin tank WVO setup, already have all the parts needed and a healthy stockpile of smelly used oil.

4. LregG

Mike...the thermoptat should make a good difference...I sorted my pump tining half way through the last tank so hopefully more to come...I'm going to try driving more economically on this tank

GT3...I take it you have been driving with economy in mind? Good figures there:)

5. geeteethree Forum Member

[​IMG]

this is a brake specific fuel consumption map for a VW 1.9 TDI engine. In essence, the rate of fuel used to produce the corresponding power, and shows a sweet-spot at about 1800rpm where the engine is producing about 50bhp and using the least fuel. I've adopted the habit of changing up at 2000rpm, and trying to stay in this zone.

VAGCOM was useful too, when logging data, as it showed that labouring the engine at speeds of less than 1500rpm used more fuel than if I changed down a gear and got into that sweet-spot again.

Long distance journeys from Scotland to the Midlands have seen 70+mpg. Just like nailing the perfect heal/toe, I see it as a driving challenge to use the least fuel whilst keeping pace with the traffic. Speed thrills are largely vicarious now through GT5, until the MK2 hits the back roads later in the year.

6. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

TDI 2.0 - 136 hp on average i drive about 800-850km on a tank ( max 55 liter )
    or about 6.5 liter /100km, but managed once 5.2 l/ 100 km
    When you drive it hard, its more 7.0 - 7.5 l/ 100km

7. m1keh Forum Member

2.0 tdi, BKD engine code Leon, the MFA shows me that I'm averaging about 47mpg, Probably due to my heavy right foot and the amount of traffic lights and queues on my way to work.

Somedays by the time I have left the car park of work my trip mpg is down to 10mpg.....

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

1 gallon = 4.54 litres.

4.54 l/100km = 62mpg approx

So 6.5 l/100km = 62x4.54/6.5 = 43.3 mpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  9. timsummers New Member

2002 Ibiza TDi Sport, 110hp,
    ASV engine
    120k miles
    Mixed driving but never normally try to get good mpg. Give it some serious stick once a day to keep the turbo vanes moving.

I always calculate mpg by brimming tank and re-setting trip. Seems to average 53mpg in the summer, 50mpg in winter. Computer always seems to predict 3mpg better than achieved.

Had one tank that was down to 45mpg but was trying to bed in some front pads that weren't quite square with the discs.

MPG has got better whilst I've owned the car and the mileage has been clocking up, probably 3 or 4 mpg improvement from 80k to 120k.

Nice graph above GT3.

Anyone had a TDi remapped and noticed better MPG?

10. Dubnutter Forum Member

Mk3 golf
    1z tdi
    57 mpg average, mixed a and b road
    700 miles to a tank

Daily commute 34 mile round trip

Best has been 63 mpg on a run

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  11. mexicorich Forum Member

What's the current thoughts on fuel additives?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  12. garnetteyes Forum Member

1996 Audi A4 AFN Quattro
    46-48mpg combined (calculated and corrected on the clocks by x0.91)

Fuel additive wise, I haven't noticed in change in our PD 130 (SEAT Ibiza) but it does seem better on the higher cetane rated fuel. My audi seems to run the same on everything, including WVO

13. Dubnutter Forum Member

Millers diesel stuff is good, works a treat on anything I have used it on, cetane is improved by upto 4 numbers.

Bk44 is good aswell for sorting out bad blockages and cokeing. Buts it's too abrasive to use all the time.

I put a capful of zx1 in the fuel occasionaly to keep the pump lubed up.

14. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I've noticed a slight dip in my Leon TDI. I think it may be time to remove the inlet manifold and give it a good de-coke, and look at blanking the EGR valve off, it's not quite as quick as it should be either

15. m1keh Forum Member

Another +1 for millers.

16. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I have a 2.5 5 cylinder A6 TDi AEL 140 bhp and i drive in the slow lane and stick to the sweet spot when gear changing and don`t go above 65mph getting to work , a lot of it is flat motorway work and i am seeing 60mpg daily on the trip computer , will have a go at the proper way to calculate it soon and see how it compares

I have noticed in the last 6 month the MPG is dropping only going up hills and if you hoof it , checked for boost leaks , nothing found , so have been running Toolstation derv additive in it 3.15 a bottle
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Fuel+Treatment+/p75916
    only difference it it went a bit faster MPG up steep ish hills used to be like 25 is now its more like 12 !!!

Next thing is to check bank 13 in VAG com and see what the injectors are doing i think there are not supposed to be more than 1.5 difference in the values

Now on 385,000 miles and still on the same clutch and engine never been apart , so never touched the injectors before
    I have done the EGR blanking plate

Temperature seems to effect my MPG loads ,work is 64 miles each way so same journey

Cold day -7 degrees = 45mpg
    warm day 17 degrees = 61mpg

My best is 74.2 mpg on a hot summers day doing never revving beyond 1600rpm

17. Dubnutter Forum Member

I would look at getting the nozzles renewed and/or the injectors balanced if its on that sort of mileage. Even with a fuel filter, the microscopic dirt particles and grit particles eventually wear and elongate the spray holes, only by the tiniest amount, but enough to effect the spray pattern and fuel economy/power.

18. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Had a look on ebay and can get bosh nozzles for mine for 27.99 each , so 5 of them = 139.99 not to bad

I do have some 170bhp chips for it , but been holding off until the next belt changes and get this MPG thing sorted before fitting them

19. LregG

what size tyres are you running?

20. geeteethree Forum Member

Have gone from 185/60R14s to 185/65R15s, though was running 175/70R14s from a Audi 80 for a good while, which were about the same rolling radius.
    Basically I'll try anything lying about that's got tread; Mk4 sized profiles really are too big though