the tdi mpg thread

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by LregG, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Dubnutter Forum Member

In looking at starting a mobile remap buisness anyway so the mk3 can stay as it is and just be a test bed.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

It would be fine if you put brakes on the trailer...

3. Dubnutter Forum Member

Ah its alot of hassle for an 8 foot box trailer. Im sure its not as heavy as i think. Im probebly going to skick with a mk3 shell for slightly more comfort etc. mk2 shell is a bit light and suits a light rev'y engine.

4. m1keh Forum Member

I'd say an 02a was a better box for the tdi. Easily fitted to a mk2 anyway, more available and generally will be fitted to a donor car.

5. m1keh Forum Member

Any questions just ask, I'm no expert in the mobile business front of it but can point you in a good direction in terms of tools and software. Unless your thinking of going as a franchise? Even if you go franchise i can help i think....

6. Dubnutter Forum Member

Just came back from a round trip from salisbury to milton keynes which was an ideal time to test out the stage one ecu I recieved from m1ke today. After some initial teething problems on a small test run prior to leaving, it drove faultlessly.

Engine idles and runs smoother, torque curve is very consistant and smooth as is the over all power delivey. Pulls like a train in all gears and feels so much stronger. Turbo can be heard more and acceleration is very sharp but not so much of a spike, more a heavy shove.

Cruicaly, mpg is the same at 54mpg average, but this is with lots of motorway blips etc so could be even better on the gentle drive to town or work.

Slightly more smoke than before but the car is at 206k and deffinatly needs the timing setup after the cambelt change which should improve power, mpg and smoke slightly.

Cheers Mike - p.m'd

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  7. Fishman Forum Member

I have a 1200KG Seat Ibiza Mk2.

It has the DTA gearset in an 02A box so has very long gearing. I drive with a fairly heavy foot and return about 50mpg..

From memory vehicle weight only is important around town, stopping and starting up to speeds of 40mph or so. Speeds over this the parasitic loss due to aero and wheel drag become much greater losses. It depends on what kind of driving you do.

I am changing it to a VNT 110hp - AFN type engine. Hopefully will see a further increase in economy with this change...

dunno if a chip could eek some more mpg's for me on this new set up?

8. Dubnutter Forum Member

1200kg ibiza? Thats heavy for a small car lol.

My chip has produced alot more power but mpg has stayed virtualy the same which in chuffed with. If i set the timing and clean the inlet out il see a mpg gain. Im averaging 57 mpg

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

1200kg isn't bad by modern standards. Most new MINIs are heavier than that, and the Countryman is around 1500kg.

10. Dubnutter Forum Member

lol, blimey. I think my car comes in at 1275kg's, or at least that is what I have read.

11. Fishman Forum Member

What chip have you got and where did you get it from?

I am in the process of sorting a donor ECU and considering getting it socketed and chipped.

12. Dubnutter Forum Member

There is a chap on here i have used which does it. I think its more a hobby of his. Eitherway, the results are amazing.

13. m1keh Forum Member

Except the cruise control issues.....

14. Fishman Forum Member

Not fussed about cruise control just improved drivability and some better MPG's

15. Dubnutter Forum Member

Thats not your fault mike, we learn as we go. I should of got a vw ecu, pref from a golf. Audi ones differ slightly i guess. Top job on the map, cant wait to really up the game. Driveability is deffinatly improved behond a shadow of a doubt. Mpg's are the same but my car has 206k, needs timing setting and a general overhaul so gains will deffinatly happen.

16. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

After forgetting about the mk2 reshell for more mpg, I've been offered one by a workmate...small bumper gti that is very tempting

17. Dubnutter Forum Member

Im also tempted, it will make a bit more work in a mk2 compared to a mk3 because i want to make it as factory as possible, hydro clutch etc, we will see.

18. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Hydro clutch isn't that much of an issue...a passat tdi pedal box should work just fine

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Just filled up after the second tank with half a bottle of the Millers fluid in it. I'm amazed to say I'm now at about 49 mpg - 520 miles and it took 48 litres. Mostly short trips to work and the man cave too (both around 10 miles). That's about 5 mpg difference.

I don't believe in 'additives' but it does seem to make a difference in this old diseasel. The idle is still a bit lumpy though. I'm now running the BG244 fuel system cleaner to see if that helps further. It's been recommended to me by 2 different people - one of them on here - so well worth a look.

I do wonder a bit if it's also down to the rise in air temperature in the last few weeks... warmer temps = better fuel atomisation?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  20. Dubnutter Forum Member

With a turbo car i dont think cylinder temps vary too much with ambient temperature. Could be wrong though, i know n/a cars love the cold misty/damp early morning air.

The millers eco boost stuff does improve cetane too, so the proof in the pudding will be when you come off the hard stuff and back to plain derv, i would expect a very very minor mpg drop, but it should remain good.

My last run of mixed driving used 30 quids worth of vmax at 1.55 a litre and managed 290 miles of mixed driving. I make that 60mpg. It normaly does the same trip on normal derv at 57mpg. When i 1st bought the car it was averaging on the same run 41mpg. After a service it went to 45mpg, decat/inlet clean/egr block made 50mpg and finaly 2 millers bottles got me upto a consistant 57 mpg average on the same run of mixed town/a and b roads/motorway.

Im always skeptical of pour in problem solvers, but i cant deney the improvments. And i have tried loads of additives for engine and fueling. I dont want to sound like an advert, but that stuff really does work well.

Glad things seem to be improving, i should imagine your nozzle spray pattern is gradualy improving.