My mk2 16v, OZ splits. Now going very much OEM!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dan W, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

The year is flying by but there's still a few shows I want to attend so I got cracking on a few more small jobs, firstly I wanted to get the engine bay a bit cleaner before I take the engine out and get it painted properly, I took what I could off of the nearside inner wing and got busy with the primer before I sprayed it gloss black (no pics of the black yet) it's only a quick job for now;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's not perfect but it's a lot better, also dug out my VDO gauges ready to make a new home for them in the centre console;

[​IMG]

I'm planning to cut out the cubby hole and ashtray and using another old centre console to make the surround so it's all in matching plastic and then relocate the cig lighter out of sight so I can still use it for sat nav and phone charging etc

And finally I got my tyres taken off my splits so I can get them apart and widened, just need to find the money for the new outers - 130 a piece! I did sell the old tyres for 40 though so that's something towards them :p

[​IMG]

There's a good local show to me next weekend that I'm entering and kinda hoping I might win something[:*:][:$]

2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Whoa just realised how long it's been since any updates on my thread!

I'm just about to get the car back on the road again after being stored for most of winter and I thought I'd finally fit my new DVD headunit, what a ball ache! I was lucky to be given it for free as it's missing it's receiver unit (now found one thanks to good old eBay) I've never known a stereo to have so much wiring, it's around twenty feet long and has over fifty wires/cables [:s] Cue massive head scratching and partially interior/dash removal, a couple of pics bearing in mind I'm still missing another control unit and all the speaker leads;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after de-tangling and working out what's what;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a ten foot tape measure and it hardly reaches half way:o

I've done a lot more engine bay tidying and repainted the gearbox and lots of other little bit's and bob's;

[​IMG]

Just need to get my new tyres fitted on the front then it's mot'd and back on the Queens highway[:D] Can't wait as I've missed driving the old girl [:$]

3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good Dan :thumbup: I cant believe how clean the engine bay looks! Hopefully see you at Inters in mine.

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Not at inters this year [:^(] a mate is getting married the same weekend [8(]

5. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Ickle update. Finally replaced the noisy gearbox, I was sold an 8v one instead of a 16v which I'd been told it was, never mind! I just needed to change the friction plate for an 8v one and it all fitted fine. Soooo much better to drive! Also a couple of pics of my car from this years Run To the Sun have emerged from someone on Edition which I thought I'd share

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It actually got some genuinely nice comments on Edition which is a change :thumbup:

6. danster Forum Addict

Ok, quiet 8v (that must be hard to bare ;)) gearbox now fitted. :thumbup:
    That just leaves you to sort that feckin noisy inter cam timing chain. I can hardly sleep at night because of the racket your car makes. [:x]

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

The chain has quietened down without me doing anything to it [:s] The calm before the storm maybe? :lol:

Edit; I love my 8v gearbox

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Not updated in a while as I've done naff all to it. However I've finally sourced a fibreglass roof which arrived between xmas and new year, so out came the windscreen today. I knew I had rust as it was bubbling around the n/s top corner but I didn't know how bad. Thankfully not bad at all, in fact the whole screen surround is very clean. Only a couple of small surface bubbles that I've cleaned back and treated with rust killer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll acid etch prime it tomorrow, remove the gutters, take out the sunroof and prep ready to bond the new panel on. It's then booked in next week with the body shop guys next door, they'll respray the roof body colour

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Where did you get the roof from, in the end?

10. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

From the new guys on here, LWS design. Very impressed with the finish, I'll soon see how it fits though!

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Cool - nice to see they're picking up a bit of business from the forum. It would be great to see the results.

12. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Trial fit after work tonight so I'll take a few pics and put them up. I did say to Andrew at LWS design that I'd happily put out a good word and show how it fits.

13. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Well the sunroof and rain gutters are now out and I'm pleased to say its all mint. No rust and no surprises.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now everything is out of the way, I could trial fit the roof. First thing was to unpack it all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needed a quick trim along both edges so it could drop into the rain gutters then it could be placed on. Et voila! It's fits near perfect, just a little trim along the rear edge. Really impressed with the finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow night it should be on ready for prep and paint next week

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Looks pretty good in the black, tbh ;)

15. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

It does but it'll never feel 'finished' if I left it black

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What's the reason for adding a new roof skin?

17. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

The sunroof was a constant source of leaking no matter what I did and it was starting to bubble and rust in a few places. This will stop my leaks for good and it'll never rust

18. Newey Forum Member

Your engine bay is to die for! Makes mine look like a dirty wreck lol

19. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

It make look nice but its a lot of work keeping it all shiny. I need to take out shares in autosol metal polish with the amount I use lol

20. Newey Forum Member

Haha i know that feeling Its part of my wash routine now you have to keep on top of it with no under tray don't you.