My mk2 16v, OZ splits. Now going very much OEM!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dan W, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Admin Guest

top job

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Rear bench looks great Dan :thumbup:

How hard was it to fit the rear bench in ?

Ive got my eye on a set of MK4 recaros, as the Mk2 ones go for silly money these days.

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

A bit of a job. I didn't have any of the brackets or fixings so I had to make them from scratch. I also wanted to be able to fold them as they did in the mk4. Nothing that difficult but plenty of trail fitting, measuring, cutting etc

4. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Spent nearly the whole of today doing a job I've been putting off for a while but with my MOT looming I had to get it done. I noticed a few months back whilst changing the clutch that I had some rot. I purchased a replacement front floor pan through VW heritage and set about removing the drivers seat, carpet and sound deadening to see just how bad it really was

[​IMG]

Not good! Out with the disc cutter and a few minutes later it looked like this

[​IMG]

New floor pan cut to size and tacked in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's fully seam welded now and painted in red oxide then I'll get some seam sealer over the welds then I'll give the whole of the underside a coating of 3M underseal. I'm hoping once it's all undersealed the repair won't be too obvious. I'll get some finished pictures up tomorrow

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Good skillz[8D]

It looked like Fred Flintstone's Mk2 after you cut the rot out ;)

6. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Reminds me of how mine looked last year at MOT time, though I had to pay someone to do mine. Looks good Dan

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Cheers. I am lucky that I can do all my own repairs and I've got the use of a garage as and when I need it! I'd never have the finances to have my mk2 otherwise!

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Treated her to a wash, I don't do it anywhere near enough :thumbd: it still comes up well though

[​IMG]

9. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

With inters looming I really wanted to get the wheels back on but they needed to be widened. The rears are now 8j with a two inch lip and 195 45's for a slight stretch. The fronts are still 7's for the minute with 185 45's. They'll spaced so they sit flush. I've only got one rear done so far but I had to try it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rears are spaced 10mm either side and they fit fine, so I think I'll put the 8's on the front and go for 8.5 on the rear but that'll be for another time

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  10. murph81 Forum Member

Love those wheels, never see any for sale, must be well rare!

11. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Incredibly rare! I've had them for years and have only seen two other sets

12. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Tried out a different polish and wax today. Four hours later it looked like this,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Now THAT is clean. Either the new polish worked or it was already looking top. Nice one Dan!
    What products did you use?

14. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Cheers ben. It wasn't bad before, needed a good cut as all this sun showed up loads of swirls in the paint. I used G3 paint renovator first, autoglym polish resin, poor boys black hole glaze then finished with collinite 476s wax. The wheels had megs metal polish on the rims and the same autoglym for the centres then poor boys wheel sealant to add some protection and make cleaning them next time a little easier. I haven't touched the plastics in those pics, that's how they look from inters still

First time using the poorboys stuff and the collinite wax (impressed with both)

15. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Took a few pics last month and thought I'd already shared them but obviously not! I don't claim to have clue when it comes to taking photos and photobucket has done its usual trick of making them look like they were taken by a disposable camera, but here goes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1990 likes this.
  16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Has it ever had the small bumpers on since you owned it?

17. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

No. It had just been painted and had brand new gen. bumpers and arches fitted when I bought it, I have toyed with the idea as it is an early car but I much prefer the later kit. Big window doors to match are on the to do list

18. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Going for a change to a very much oem look. Up front I've gone for a brand new old stock four lamp red stripe grill, brand new hella spots, hella headlamps and new amber indicators. I bought another mk2 to strip down and rob it's late spec doors, standard tailgate and lots of other little things it was missing/needed. I've also got a brand new rear bumper to go on. They're all currently being prepped and painted before fitting so for the minute only the front end is done. I think it looks so much better and I'm very pleased with the new look. Can't wait to get the doors, tailgate and bumper fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do we reckon?

19. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good Dan :thumbup:

So the smoothed boot will be gone then. I must say, it did suit the car really well, and its always been nice to see something different from the rest.

But you can't beat the 90spec OEM look. ;)

20. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Vastly better imo, I didn't realise it had the 90's crime on the back. There is a certain synergy to the numberplate recess and lower tailgate shape between the rear light clusters which is totally lost with a smooth tailgate. Tbh I'd keep the doors and the paint match down the sides and put small bumpers on, but whichever way it will be a massive improvement.