My mk2 16v, OZ splits. Now going very much OEM!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Dan W, Jan 24, 2009.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Does it get bonded on with a sikaflex/ tiger seal type stuff then?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Yep, bonded straight on top with tiger seal. If I was fitting it for weight saving I could've cut the roof completely out leaving about 3" around the edge and bonded it to that. That's ok if it's a track car with a cage but mine isn't and I didn't fancy loosing any strength in the shell. Plus in the future if for whatever reason it needs to come off, it'll be straight forward to put the sunroof back in again

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

No going back now, it's bonded on! First job is to key the roof and give it a clean with panel wipe

[​IMG]

Then the job of applying this stuff (I got through three tubes in the end)

[​IMG]

The key is to have an even layer of tiger seal as poss, if its lumpy then it'll show as high and low spots on the finished panel, not a good look. And it won't stick evenly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^^^^^^
    That is by no means even enough so out with the tile grout tool to give a uniformed finish as poss

[​IMG]

Then place on and tape/weigh down as needed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any weight you put on needs to be spread as much as possible to avoid dips in the panel. I'll pop back to work tomorrow to check on it, seal along all the edges, then leave it with the body shop guys to flat, fill as needed and paint

4. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks great Dan:thumbup:

5. Newey Forum Member

Looking good

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Good work. I knew there was a reason I have all those old batteries lying around the workshop. [:D]

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I was running around like a headless chicken trying to find heavy stuff once I realised the rear edge wasn't staying down! Luckily I had the foam mat to hand as I couldn't just dump the batteries straight on the roof

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Had a little think last night, I've decided to keep the roof black for the moment. The whole car is planned for a respray at some point this year as and when funds allow, so it seemed pointless just painting the roof now. It actually suits the car really well and the finish is far better than I thought it would be. The rain gutters are back on, just waiting for someone to give me a hand to refit the screen. He's how it looks now, the only imperfection is along the rear edge as it needed weight to help it stick. It's only a couple of slight dips though and it doesn't even show on the pictures. I can't praise the quality of the roof enough and would highly recommend the guys at LWS Design. Everyone who's seen it have been amazed at the finish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Looks great!

10. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks better than I thought it would. How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

11. Newey Forum Member

That looks great. Also looks good in black

12. Andrew_LWSDesign Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Really great to see the roof on and looking so good, nearly all of our customers cut the roof out but actually nice way of seeing a different way of doing it without an angle grinder and ending up with a great looking result :-)

13. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Loving the roof Dan :thumbup:

Looks really nice in black and i would personally leave it like that. Suits the car very well. :)

14. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Gave the old girl a clean for the first time in about five months! Got the motivation now the roof doesn't **** in water. Its a beautiful day down in Cornwall so took a little spin with the wife to get some decent pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Still can't decide between keeping the roof black or painting it body colour when the whole car is painted

16. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks nice in black Dan :thumbup:

17. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Recaro rear bench sort of in. Had to call it a day as my already knackered back was playing up, being over six foot, wedged in the back of a mk2, bent double welding in brackets doesn't agree with it! Anyway this is how they look at the minute. Still need to finalise a couple of fittings and fit the rear panels/trim on place. Then completely redo the stereo install

Tried to get some pictures but the interior is black on black! Not an ideal subject for an iPhone camera

[​IMG]

18. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Looks awesome in the sun - some good roads in cornwall too :thumbup:

19. Ditchyboy Forum Member

love that colour, saw it at Inters 2 years ago and its so nice in the flesh!

20. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Nearly finished the interior. The boot build is done, need to have a play around with the amp settings then fix the floor in properly as its just sat in there at the minute. A few pics of the progress and finished looked.

Boot floor sound deadened.

[​IMG]

Underside of the false floor houses the amp for the sub which keeps things neat and hidden. It's makes adjusting the amp settings a bit more tricky but once it's set it shouldn't need touching again.

[​IMG]

Carpeted and sat in place, I didn't want anything over the top. Just a neat, all black boot that still had plenty of space

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll re-carpet the back of the rear seats the same as the floor so the finish is matched.

A couple more of the rear seats in place. The rear quarter inner panels didn't need any trimming but the plastic against the seats did slightly. They fit nice and snug now and I'm pleased with the look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013