020 - Prototype Quick-Shift - Mk1 Adjust. Added -Update 13/06/2011

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Dave, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I have designed a unique quick-shift gear selector, for the 020 box.

My design utilises a system whereby the throw of the gear lever can be adjusted, in-car, from the driver's seat.

The intention is that the gear lever can be extended, closer to the steering wheel, but still have the same throw as the original, or less if you like.

The system will utilse bronze bushes, as the VWMS system. I have found the manufacturers of suitable bronze bushes and spherical bearings.

Below is the first part I have made: A bronze bushed gearbox linkage.

[​IMG]

I desparately need some tubing, to make the adjustable mechanism inside the car.

I have posted my requirements for tubing on 'non-vag parts wanted'.

I intend to make these as kits for CGTI members, if I can prove the prototype.

So, anyone who can help me, with the tube, will go to the top of the list, should I get the thing sorted!

At best, I will only be able to make one or two kits per week. So, first come, first served.

Unless you have poo-pooed, me on another thread, that is!:lol:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. danster Forum Addict

Groovy Daved. :thumbup:
    I see you have shaved the gearbox mount off the bracket, no doubt because you have gone to the "works" (mk1) style one. ;)

I have tubing, I swap for daughter. PM for details. :lol:

3. Dave

The 'works' Mk1 style is the only way! Stupid engine mounts, on subframes, is sick![xx(]

A bit like utilising long outer cv splines and nuts, when a short bolted cv joint lets you change them without disconnecting the strut!:thumbup:

Your tubing will need to match the spec exactly!

As to miss daved. You will have to organise that yourself! You have had more clues than TSC, and he is well ahead!:lol:

4. danster Forum Addict

I connected an 020 to an 02A cable shifter a while back. Seemed to work fine with the mock up brackets I made. It got the std linkage rods out of the tunnel so the exhaust could route easier.
    I could position the cable change gear stick housing up on top of the tunnel which made it closer to the steering wheel too.

5. Dave

You's so clever, I could cry![:^(]

Take your point Danny, but I have a wierd aversion to cables![xx(]

My system is just 020+.

It's like all my other hang ups:

Must use a pre. 1988 front upright, modded as VWMS. Possibly a 19mm upright like what BBB found. If VWMS ever used them?

Must be 8V.

Must be K-Jet.

Must be solid tappet.

Must have 6 x 15 Ronal R8s. (OK: Group N 6 x 14 9 Ps)

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Cables will never beat the feel of rod change Dave, so continue!! I searched high and low for pipe, Im all out. Ill look harder in the moring though. Might be a bit hiding.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I like the bronze bushes, Big Engineering Boss!

VWMs may have used the 19mm pins later on. Since they started with the 16v in '87, you have to assume they were thrashing around milling down hubs up until at least the cut off point until 8/87 as per this thread.

8. Dave

OK BBB.

I shall have to use the 8/87 uprights off mrs daved's PB then!

17mm ball joints.

Hopefully they will take the 183 bhp of the 8V?:lol:

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

would you be selling the bronze bushes on their own? i already have a missinglinkz kit and the only weak pint is the bushes in that bracket, they wear out very quickly. might have some peeps after relay shaft brass bushes too, though my missinglinkz ones are ok. better if we had someone in the uk supplying good bushes though :thumbup:

10. Dave

RJY. I don't know what a missinglinkz kit is?[:s]

This is my idea of how I might put a kit together. It is still in the developement stage. I am still trying to locate certain elements!

I shall be making items: 3, 8 and 12. At the moment, I am modifying bronze bushes, by hand, for the prototype. The sizes used by VW are not standard industry dimensions.

I would need to buy a lathe, if people wanted a quantity of separate bushes.

The spherical, at 3, is a problem at the moment, but I have a nice man, in the UK, trying to get me something close, to experiment with.

The link rods and ball/socket joints are off the shelf. I would just source the separate parts and put them together, as a kit, for people to modify their own shift lever, 14.

The strengthening parts for the reinforced gear shift tube, 26, would come as part of the in-car adjustment mechanism. People would need to weld the reinforcement bits themselves.

Extending the gear lever, 25, would be down to the individual.

27 would be supplied if required. Took me ages to work out what that was for.

I have the last four of item 5 in the world. But I am looking for suitable replacement boots.

[​IMG]

11. rubjonny

missinglinks do most of what you are looking to do already, even down to uprated bushes for the relay shaft etc, tho polly not brass:
    http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ShiftLinkage.shtml

only thing he doesnt do is 8 and 3, but for 3 the replacement rod bush that fits the relay shaft housing he makes will most likely fit inside the outer rubber housing as to me the orange bush looks the same in both. this is something I planed to do one day but not got round to it yet.
    something better is required though, even with a new vag bush in my shifter box it still has play. i have the full missing links kit and its rock solid except for 3, and 8. 8 bushes ive replaced a few times, but it only takes a year or so before they go wobbly again.
    not really sure how 3 problems could be solved though since it doesn't move in a single axis but it kinda needs to wiggle, I'm sure you know what I mean [:$]

I dont think 5 would really need to be used for most applications, or are you thinking of making some kind of spherical bearing assembly to replace 3?
    edit: ah yeah you did say spherical. would be funky if you could get something to work :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  12. Mike_H Forum Addict

I need to talk to you about linkages for Porsche 914s. The gearchange is shocking. There would be plenty of takers if you could figure something out that was effective and less than $1000. [:s]

13. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

I Agree :thumbup:

Will interesting to see the results, when we were at Berg Cup there was a MK1 with 020 box using the cable change conversion, forgot waht make it was now.

14. rubjonny

what might be good is a kit to convert a cable shift to rod. I've seen these before but the pictures were so small you couldnt really see how it was done with any clarity

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

T4 vans are rod change cable change boxes - scope there?

I've also seen it done in the style of a Nova/Astra rod linkages with helicopter joints. Totally fabricated mind.

16. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

hmmmmm

17. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Interestingly, one member ofthe family at the B&B we stayed in at the 'Ring manufactures ball bearing cable shift mechanisms. He said they can operate almost friction free for lengths up to 20m and are used in Helicopter linkages, ship controls and the gearshift mechanism on the Carerra GT! Awesome but a bit pricey methinks.

Gurds

18. prof Forum Addict

recirculating ball?

i think TSC suffered with that

19. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Nowt wrong with Rod Change [:D]

RCAS

Rod Change Appreciation Society :lol:

http://www.tsr-performance.com/pages/linkage.asp

The amount of snapped cables i've seen. Dales, Jordy, Sambo , Phatty :o

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

The heat from those^^ motors is probably melting the cable insulation ;)