02j shift tower rebuild.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by tshirt2k, Jan 21, 2011.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I've managed to get hold of an 02j shift tower. But it seemed to have a bit of movement between the shaft and housing.

The top oil seal looked grotty so i ordered a new one. I then opened it up and the sleeve bearing is dry and rusty looking so i'll order a new one of those too.

[​IMG]

My question is how is this lubricated? Is it by the gearbox oil? Or, I assume it needs greasing anyway but what type of grease for all associated parts?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2017
  2. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Please be careful taking that bearing out, it's not as easy as people think, and you can end up breaking the centre support out of the housing if you're not careful.
    Even heating the housing up can sometimes result in failure.

The bearing is lubed by oil splashing up onto it. Not brilliant, but it does work. The main problem being the actual bearing is pi55 poor in general.

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What the best way to try and get the bearing out then? I was going to try and use a drift of some sort on the inner lip or maybe try and cut part of the sleeve and carefullty break it out from the middle.

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Right bear with me here.
    With the seal out of the top, you want to make 2 notches opposite each other(I used a sharp 4mm wide blade screwdriver) so you can see the top of the bearing sleeve. Just use it like a small chisel and cut them out.
    You then need to have a pipe that will sit under the alloy holder of the bearing sleeve, with a bore big enough for the bearing to slide into.
    From the top you need to have a flat dolly(4mm thick plate the same width as the gap across the notches) that will fit down into the notches and press against the sleeve, and just press it out. The pipe underneath will stop you pressing the middle housing out of the main housing, and believe me, it's easy to do. DO NOT press it out against the main housing, you'll pop the centre out!

Just DON'T use a hammer to tap it out, press it nice and easy! lol

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thanks for the heads up on the notches. I did think to myself, how can i get to the top of the sleeve.:thumbup:. I usually use a socket big enough to allow things to be pressed into. I'll give this a go.
    Nearly 4 for a new sleeve bearing 02A 311 648 C is the part number should anyone need it.

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Managed to get the sleeve out today. Put ot on the press. It didn't wanna budgeand i didn't fancy try too hard and breaking it. Instead i used a dremel and a grinding stone to wear a groove until it split. Then i could press it out with a vice and a piece of copper sheet made to fit.

Ordered my short shifter and some bushes for the relay lever.

Anyone know what grease to use on parts of the shifter?

Apparently its a high temp poly grease that VW use, but im sure it would be expensive.

7. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Any i suppose, I cant see it getting that hot.

You will need the grease the pin that goes into the bushes, Mine were really tight.
    The shift weight is also keyd so dont force it on with the nut. It will slop in if you have it in the right place.

You will need a tube of sealer/gasket to mount it back onto the gearbox:thumbup:

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

This is the grease. I think the bay can get fairly hot. It is connected to the block. I noticed the grease is fairly dry on the parts at the moment.
    I know about the shift weight only going on one way and noticed the sealer on the housing.

[​IMG]

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Does anyone know the part number for the relay lever with the earlier type of bowden cable catches?

The part number on mine is 1j0711203E but this is not listed in etka.

I've ordered the part from the dealer and seem to get a corresponding pn as 1j0711202E but is the wrong part it is like a mirror image of mine and slightly bigger. Dealer cant understand it either.

10. mat-mk3

Ive got mine here, Its the ball & socket type.
    1J0 711 203E

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

That's the problem. That part number is unknown in etka. I need the right number to order another.

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I may try the later type part number to go with the TT short shift.

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1j0711202E is listed for the 'RSI' whatever that is.

you have 2 options for that lever by the looks of it:
    1J0 711 202 F - up to chassis 1C-1-495 000/9C-1-680 000, box code DQY,EGD,DZQ,EBP,EGT

1J0 711 202 P - from chassis code 1C-1-495 001/9C-1-680 001

14. mat-mk3

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I've just ordered these two from dealer. I'm gonna go for the later type. The Bowden cable catch will match the TT short shifter.

The 1j0711202E is like a mirror image of what I have. Dealer said it's a six speed also. Wish the pn on the parts were the actual pn's you ordered. But NO, that would be too easy mr Vw.[:x]

16. rubjonny

usually you would see a part supercession for the old number, but for whatever reason its been dropped completely from etka. it wouldn't be a problem is you had the actual car to go with it eh, as you would have the chassis number to hand and the dealer would know what to get you. rather than trying to shoehorn the gearbox into a car it was never intended for ;)

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Exactly. No registration or chassis number these days is a nightmare to get bits. Joys of modding eh?

18. rubjonny

aye! best thing to do is get hold of etka, then you can get digging. the parts guys can be pretty useless sometimes

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I have etka. But the it still comes up with a few options to choose from depending on chassis number etc. I didn't see any ref to RSI though.

20. Andy947 Forum Addict

RSI would be a refernce to the beetle RSI perhaps?