110degree coolant with slim fan -update- Guage still not showing over 80deg

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by 1990, Sep 13, 2010.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

While in traffic yesterday my coolant was showing 110deg which made me think the car was going to boil over. Oil was showing 112 on the mfa.

My single slimline fan seemed to just about keep the temperate steady but didn't reduce it, it was only once I was out of the traffic and moving that it cooled down then on the motorway it was reading about 75deg. Oil was then showing 96deg

What temperature should the fan cool the coolant to in a situation like that, and whats the maximum coolant would normally be at?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

you'd have to look at the fan switch, 110'c sounds right !

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Should be ~ 90 or needle pointing vertical. Slimline fan w/o cowling never worked for me in a road car.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

and the temp shouldnt drop below 90 when youre on the move either.

new stat time by the sounds of it

5. 1990

So I need a bit of an overhaul then, i'll start with a vag com tonight. I still just have the single slimline fan operated by a switch on the dash.

So i'm looking for corrado twin fans/cowl with new stat all wired direct to the battery? Could I use mk3 VR fans if I modify them?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  6. 1990

I just found this on mk2 vr6:

[​IMG]

Looks simple enough.

7. 1990

I went out again tonight and did about 30 miles, road and motorway. Oil was usually at 94, max'd at 100. Water was showing between 70 and 80, no higher but I didn't hit any traffic. Also didn't use the fan at all.

Do you think I also need a new coolant temp sensor?

8. 1990

I just got this for 10
    [​IMG]

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I went for the corrado rad and fans for ease of fitment, cost a lot more than 10 though [8(]

10. 1990

So you think the stat is stopping the hot water reaching the temp sensor?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it would be the stat is stuck open or opening too soon, making the rad over-cool the coolant. stat should close off when temps drop below 90degrees

12. 1990

OK, cheers.

I picked the fans up today and have hacked them already. I powered them up and they work on both speeds, the faster one is a beast!!
    At home:
    [​IMG]

Hacked:
    [​IMG]

Old and new:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure the holes in the fan surround and on my radiator line up but i need to do a bit more trimming for the fan switch and the top hose before I know for sure.

How big of a job is the stat? The car doesn't have its slam panel on at the minute.

13. rubjonny

stat housing is on the side of the engine, take 2 bolts off the cover and the stat falls out. dead easy :)
    (it is a VR6 yes? not an R32? I loose track of who has what :lol:)

14. 1990

Its an R36*, I take it only a genuine stat should be put in its place?

*That may be a lie.

15. rubjonny

I'd only use a gen vag on a 6pot, more expensive to fix if things go wrong. id tell you the part number but you're being a bit vauge about what engine is in it :lol:

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Stat is located in the plastic housing where the temp sensors are attached to. It is not hard to take apart and even better as your slam panel is off the vehicle.
    Be very mindful when taking this apart as the plastic housing is known to fail and crack internally . Renew rubber O seal.
    Parts available at GSF or Euro.

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

The stat on a vr6....:lol: Have fun! Its not the changing the stat that's hard, its when the whole crack pipe and assembly fall to bits! I swore far too many times putting mine back, but 99% due to the crack pipe being a pig to re-fit as the engine side can be corroded making it near impossible to fit even after trying to get rid as much of the crud as possible.

I ended up getting a whole new assembly for the stat housing and crack pipe. And a word of warning, some aftermarket branded crackpipes are designed to be used with the same branded stat housing, as I noticed my topran crack pipe notch and slot was slightly off to the original VW one I had.

18. 1990

I just picked up the fan wiring from Pipster (Cheers Phil) and my mate is ordering me a stat from TPS today. I cant wait to hit a traffic jam now.

19. 1990

OK, I took the stat housing off today. It looks like the stat and main part of the housing were replaced in 1999. The main housing is not cracked but I had to drill the bolts off to get the stat out. The cover of the stat is also OK but the bottom piece (021 121 133C) that connectes it to the crack pipe is split down the side of one of the bolts so i'll replace that.

I'll need all new bolts and seals which as far as I can see from VagCat ate the main housing to head seal which is 021 121 119A, the seal between the main hosing and crack pipe part which is N 10139201 and the seal for the end of the crack pipe which is also N10139201.

Should I use a liquid sealant on the rubber seals?

Can I use bolts from my local ironmonger which are pence rather than VW's pounds?

20. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

We replaced the stat & housing on my VR recently - we didnt need to use any liquid gasket - new rubber seals did the trick.

If you havent already - get some jubilee clips to replace the VAG clips on the coolant hoses that you'll need to pop off, as they sometimes dont hold quite as tight as before once they have been removed etc. We had to play and reseat them a few times before little annoying drips from the hoses were cured.