1977 Mk1 show/club car (13/4/08)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by H8SV8S, Dec 22, 2004.

1. mikedub Forum Junkie

Amazing thread and an awesome car, latest changes to the engine look great

2. Matt G Forum Member

jesus ive just finished reading all 20 pages - mind not all in one go!

thats a whole lotta work! only to put yourself through it again - still at least you have plenty of fine weather for tinkering!

TV pretty crap down there then?!!!!!!

3. Paulc Forum Member

OMG!

Get the pictures up, remember reading your first build so this one should be even better!

nice work!

4. Spawn_of_Satan_666

Spawn_of_Satan_666 Forum Member

I've just spent the last hour reading your thread and falling in love with your Golf. You have done a truely amazing job and now your making it even better!!

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo jealous.

5. H8SV8S Forum Member

Ok, pics as promised - still don't have all of them as my Photobucket is playing up and won't do bulk uploads [:^(]

These will give a pretty good idea of what the car has been through, though. I'll go over and work on the car again today and snap somemore pics [:D]

Arrival of 'new' shell - was in equal or worse shape than the last one :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, this is pure bird ****e all over it :lol:

[​IMG]

Rear panel was bonked up the batty well and truly :lol:

[​IMG]

Started smoothing the inside:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bare metal treatment on the floors - a decent amount of surface rust was there, plus I had to fill and smooth them anyway, as the car is running bare painted innards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. H8SV8S Forum Member

Some primer with paint filler to remove all the tiny nicks and scratches:

[​IMG]

That's better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front panel was f--ked:

[​IMG]

Outer body was very straight, but given a thorough seeing to anyway. Arches needed some extra work to clear big wheels too:

[​IMG]

Rear panel was also stuffed - had been cut for big lights. Sides primed by this stage, though [:^(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Engine bay is fully seem welded to I smoothed all the edges off. I really like smooth, stock looking bays like Big Ron's, so I didn't have anything plated over - only removed the battery and rain trays:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bodywork almost done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Booya:

[​IMG]

Trailering to work:

[​IMG]

At work for the finish up:

[​IMG]

Big HP Bosch fuel system:

[​IMG]

Undercarriage - I used an Italian product (can't remember the name of it?) that was applied over etch-primed metal. It gives a very even OEM+ to the underbody and will also block out a bit of sound and protect from chips and damage, as I'll use the car in hill climb events etc :)

Everything has been media blasted and powdercoated black and for longevity - I hate chrome in excess, so have only used a tiny bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. H8SV8S Forum Member

Still working in the engine bay. Haven't put the injectors in yet, but most of the wiring is done.

[​IMG]

Using the VDO Cockpit White series of gauges to keep an eye on things, plus they match up really nicely with the white main clocks:

[​IMG]

More pics tomorrow - thanks for looking :)

8. Steve B Forum Junkie

looks awesome, what are you doing with the blue/silver shell? you gonna put it back on the road ?

9. Briankl Forum Member

I don't know if you're aware of it, or if it matters for what you'll be using the car for, but unless Aussie specs are quite a bit different than European and American, that roll cage does not meet motorsports requirements.
    Amongst other things, the gussets in the corners are a bit of a disaster.

10. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

After all the smoothing and chrome i dont think it will be going on a track! Well i hope not anyway!:lol:

11. H8SV8S Forum Member

It's a CAMS approved rollcage, so is very good - and expensive - by our standards. Glad to know that is all you have to say about the car :lol: :clap:

P.S. Euro cages that curve around the dash don't meet our requirements either [:s] How about you put your Mk1 (if you even have one) in a container and we see which one performs better on the track :lol:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  12. H8SV8S Forum Member

;) I am going to use it for motorsport, but only in the dry, and probably only a few times a year. Any area that can get chipped etc is going to get a paint protection film over it.

I intend to take down my brothers EVO at the next trackday [|)]

Having said that, I still want to take it to the odd show, as it's a lot tidier than the blue car in every area so far.

P.S. The blue shell is on my rotisserie getting stripped back. The white car has taken most of its suspension parts for the time being as there is no way I can afford good setups for both yet :o Setting up the 16vT has been surprisingly cheap, but I guess it doesn't work yet :lol: [:$] [8(] :lol:

13. Hot Water Forum Member

Good work mate :clap:

14. Briankl Forum Member

Sorry - I've been reading/following this thread forever, but never really chimed in on the contents - just enjoying all the nice work. I guess I had just gotten used to the high standards of your work and naturally figured that since I have been following this thread for a long time you would know that I think you do great work.
    Obviously that was just lack of thought on my account - my apologies - the car looks great! (apart - in my book - from the cage ;)).
    Actually I was just trying to help...

Cage-designs that curve around the dash are not up to spec here either unless specifically tested and approved - at least not in Denmark.
    If you build your own cage that sort of design is not allowed in any way. You are only allowed two bends on the "front legs" - one where the roof goes into the A-pillar, and one where the A-pillar goes into the door post (where the tubing of the cage normally starts to go straight down).

I have a Mk 2 built for rally - but pulled by a 1.8 16V'er on ITB's - so not nearly the sort of power you have. Handling-wise it might be up for the task though, Bilstein coilover at the front, Gaz ditto in the back, nylon bushes or uniballs, Quaife ATB-diff, camber plates, etc. - but I must say that I fail to see what that has to do with the roll cage ;).

15. Australian GTI Forum Member

Good work there Stu.:clap:
    We're very proud of you and your high standards and of course great taste in modding.
    Now when this ones done I know where you can find something for the next project;)
    Ed

16. sami spydr New Member

i think your plain crazy!!!
    heatstroke has taken a hold!!!
    i love your work its brill, im gonna put my layers on, scarf and hat, and get back out there asap before mine rots away [:^(]
    beautiful:clap:

17. tony_d Forum Member

love white cars!! ;)

18. 16valver Forum Member

Cracking job mate, well done.

What did you use to get it back to the bare metal? some kind of treatment?

Did you do the same to the underneath as well as inside, all back to the bare metal?

Also, did you paint it yourself? If so, is this the first time you have painted yourself, as it looks really good.

Just trying to get some ideas for my own mk1.

Cheers, Ali

19. H8SV8S Forum Member

I used the old grinder on a wire wheel thing - very effective, but takes ages. Yep, ground the underside back too, as there was a bit of surface rust there aswell [8(] This particular model is an Australian built shell, so they didn't come with much underseal, meaning it was a quite a bit easier to remove it all ;)

Yep, all painted by me - I have done 4 cars now, so have a bit of practice, but the blue paintwork on the last car was my first attempt and it came up well too. Mind you, I would avoid metallic, as I have done this time - looks nicer in a solid colour anyway IMO :)

20. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

[8D] :o

wasn't expecting a change of this magnitude when i clicked this

Looks much better in white and hats off for doing it all again :clap: